Console exclusives

Without getting much into the rumours of Obsidians third creation. I and many others find the signs of a trend of developers giving up the traditional PC market for console exclusive games, worrying.

Now what are the reasons for this? We know that BioWare's "Jade Empire" was a result of their deal with Microsoft, but what other reasons are there?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

For an obvious reason, money.

However, investors also look at Total Sales. The idea is, I have this exlusive title to my system X, thus you will need to purchase my system in order to play this game. Then since you purchased my system, and my game, now you will purchase more games on my system. Since you, the consumer, consider this as an investment, will buy more titles for my system X.

Since they they have to impress the shareholders with sales figures, the idea is to say, we have sold 10 million units of system X, that means each owner and/or family members of those systems will be purchasing games, for those systems.

So to boil it all down, you make console exclusives to keep people on your system.

Keep in mind, this is coming from my direction, and just guestimating how they would do business...

I think that congress should forbid console exclusives.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Because if you want people to buy your console having something on it you cant get elsewhere , especially if it's high profile. Is how it's done.

The other reason is , that every console owner is a potential customer for every single game on that console. No need to worry about low spec machines vs high spec machines.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

"Without getting much into the rumours of Obsidians third creation. I and many others find the signs of a trend of developers giving up the traditional PC market for console exclusive games, worrying.

Now what are the reasons for this? We know that BioWare's "Jade Empire" was a result of their deal with Microsoft, but what other reasons are there?"

It's funny you bring up BIO's x-box exlusive yet totally ignoe the fact they have a PC exclusive coming up as well. And, you totally ignore the fact that Obsidian's NWN2 is PC exclusive. Neither Obsidian or Bioware are giving up traditional PC market so why are you making up untrue facts to prove an untrue point?

It's sad really when people have a theory and ignore any facts that disprove said theory.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Becouse consoles are artificially promoted and supported sh... PC was always the center of classy gaming and has better possibilities.

PC is for the elite, beggars who can't have good stuff and can only afford crapy consoles should play Zelda or Final Fantasy and nothing more.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

You are wrong. Plain, and simple. All you are doing is trolling, and basically flaming anyone who likes consoles and saying they are beneath you and aren't even human. That's worthy of a ban.

You do realize that FF is also on the PC, right?

Of course, nice dodge about DA and NWN2 though.

R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Becouse consoles are artificially promoted and supported sh... PC was always the center of classy gaming and has better possibilities.

As clueless as usual I see. The PC started off as a poor version of the Amiga/ST. It couldnt even compare graphically till the VGA cards came along. SVG put it one step ahead. Just as it replaced the previous platforms so the consoles are now replacing it as the platform of choice.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Nonsense. PC was ruling since the begininng.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

As clueless as usual I see. The PC started off as a poor version of the Amiga/ST. It couldnt even compare graphically till the VGA cards came along. SVG put it one step ahead. Just as it replaced the previous platforms so the consoles are now replacing it as the platform of choice.

I don

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

PC is for the elite, beggars who can't have good stuff and can only afford crapy consoles should play Zelda or Final Fantasy and nothing more.

I am a PC gamer, but I'm offended by this statement. If some people or their parents cannot afford upgrading PC every once in a while that doesn't make them worse than you. I'd agree that's TROLLING. Even worse, it's ELITISM.

Another wrong point: "PC was ruling since the begininng."

Absolutely NOT. Games _industry_ started with TV-set games, arcade machines and CONSOLES, not PC. It came to the market much later.

What is really happening is that console and PC are overlapping but still different markets and one cannot substitute the other.

First of all. In the philosofical sense, there is no such thing as a PC exclusive. PC is the basic norm, the main highway from which all others branch out.

The companies overrate this console thing. Sure, a lot of my friends have an Xbox but all of them are modified, and none of them pay for their games.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I for one started a thread similar to this one over in the RPG single player forum. I stated over there that PC gaming is not for me because I don't jive with the constant upgrading and crashes that you get with PC gaming.

But I also acknowledged that playing games on my computer is much more intimate and immersive and addictive as hell. So I can see why alot of people prefer PC gaming.

But I have to say as a console guy that occasionally plays games on his computer, that I get upset when they release an incomplete and flawed game on the console, only to release a spruced up version with extra content and tons of other goodies on the PC a year or so later. BUT ONLY ON THE PC. That's just crap, IMO.

I feel totally ripped off when that happens. Heck, I'd be raising hell right now about Fable doing that if I wasn't so apathetic about the title. But it happens alot.

More to the point of this thread though, I think another poster pretty much hit the nail on the head when he/she said its all about money. PC gaming seems to be geared more towards an older market, whereas consoles are geared more towards younger people and kids.

And lets face it, that's where all the money is. Why else would Obsidian and LucasArts rush KOTOR 2 out for Christmas, but wait unitl February to release the PC version?

The Xbox version of K2 was, as with many other games, released prior to the PC version so that as many people as possible would buy that version since an Xbox game is around 20% more expensive. The other big reason was that they thought they needed to get in on the Christmas sales.

The companies overrate this console thing. Sure, a lot of my friends have an Xbox but all of them are modified, and none of them pay for their games.

No they are quite aware of it. They are also aware that the console market is much less prone to that sort of thing. So blame your friends and people like them.

478327[/snapback]

but what other reasons are there?

No extra costs for uneeded patches.

A standard platform to program for.

That's all I can think of, and I can understand why anyone would do it.

PC games might be more flexible, but I'd think Console games would be the smarter move.

A standard platform to program for.

Technically, is that true if a game is made for more than one type of console? I don't know enough about the configurations of a X-Box and PS2, but wouldn't developers who are making games to play on both platforms have different things to worry about?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

No they are quite aware of it. They are also aware that the console market is much less prone to that sort of thing. So blame your friends and people like them.

The last time I saw figures(in the UK) of this they estimated that Xbox piracy has the lead over PC piracy by 60-40. Counterfeit console games, pressed in Asia are vastly more common than PC software. They couldnt be more wrong if they believe consoles is a way to beat the pirates.

PC games will be always for more sophisticated people who like to mod and improve them instead of just playing them on TV screen and throw them away after. All old PC games are still praised and are very alive while console games even as good as SW Bounty Hunter are lomg forgotten and not part of the gaming history.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES: