Has anyone seen the new Mountain Dew ad?

jaguars4ever

erm, no need to get so defensive. My tone was friendly and unjudgemental. I'm not judging anyone, I am just making the statement that diet drinks are one of my peevs, as people who drink them usually don't need to- if you drink a lot of diet drinks, it makes no difference (inasmuch as the "diet" drinks will put you on weight), and if you don't drink a lot of fizzies, then whether they are diet-drinking or not when you drink em makes little difference. Unless you physically aren't allowed sugar because of some medical condition.

Nothing more, nothing less was I saying. To be honest tho' and I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but I find people complaining about people always "hollering" at them, are usually the most causing such holler themselves. Or to quote a tory politician, "Racism is often in the minds of people who use that word".

Yes, that's why when I casually mention that I drink diet soda you jump on it with such non-judgemental, friendly-sounding comments as:

what the HELL is the point of "diet" fizzy drinks? If you were on a diet, you wouldn't drink coke or dr. Pepper etc at all, for eff sake!!! All it is is people fooling themselves into thinking they are being healthy.

Edit: And sorry if I'm rather defensive about it, but I've had this same convo w/several othes on the net, where they'd all jump and tell me, unasked for, how my drinking soda diet or not was so horrible, when all I'd say is "I luv diet Dew!" or some such silly thing. I'm just tired of it. Who cares.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yes, but she seems take drinking habits very seriously :thumbsup:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Actually, no, I don't. :)

Which was part of my irritation/point. I say "I like/drink this", no different than saying "I love pizza/cookies/sushi, yum!" and then (lately, the past year or so) people often jump in with health-lifestyle stuff simply because it's apparently a current trend in some circles to bash diet soda, or something.

Usually I ignore such things but after a long time it just grates on the nerves. :rolleyes:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 3 weeks later...
It's called too much liquid sugar makes my tummy go 'ugh', but I get tired of water and most fruit juices also make my tummy go 'ugh' (I'm extremely acid-sensitive).

Diet soda's still have acids, but they don't seem to bother me like fruit juices.

Also, diet sodas don't make your teeth feel like they have fuzzy jackets on, and are more thirst-quenching since there's no after-drink sugar coating..

And lastly - at 150-200 calories a can (this is true for for a lot of drinks, not just sodas), even if you're not worried about weight persay, it's not like I need the extra 800-1000 calories a day I'd consume if I drank the sugar sodas. If your average intake in terms of food is about 1500-1800 calories, soda (and other drinks) can boost that up to near 3000 (way more than the average person should probably have, even if you're not on a diet) - with absolutely no value to those calories at all.

So I'll avoid that, thanks.

Did you know diet sodas have aspertame? You know, the crap that causes memory loss? I rather have the suger on my teeth than memory loss thanks.

[...]if you drink a lot of diet drinks, it makes no difference (inasmuch as the "diet" drinks will put you on weight) [...]

Erm - maybe you can explain to me how ingesting something without calories can "put you on weight"? If - of course - I'm correct in my understanding of what you mean by that odd little turn of phrase. My mother's drunk nothing but Diet Rite for twenty-odd years and has yet to exceed 140 lbs or so.

Edit: No, I'm not kidding - or I'm only barely kidding. She doesn't drink water or milk or orange juice or anything except:

(1) Diet Rite at home

(2) Diet Pepsi while out

(3) Diet Coke if out and the place doesn't serve Pepsi products

It's called too much liquid sugar makes my tummy go 'ugh', but I get tired of water and most fruit juices also make my tummy go 'ugh' (I'm extremely acid-sensitive).

Diet soda's still have acids, but they don't seem to bother me like fruit juices.

Also, diet sodas don't make your teeth feel like they have fuzzy jackets on, and are more thirst-quenching since there's no after-drink sugar coating..

And lastly - at 150-200 calories a can (this is true for for a lot of drinks, not just sodas), even if you're not worried about weight persay, it's not like I need the extra 800-1000 calories a day I'd consume if I drank the sugar sodas. If your average intake in terms of food is about 1500-1800 calories, soda (and other drinks) can boost that up to near 3000 (way more than the average person should probably have, even if you're not on a diet) - with absolutely no value to those calories at all.

So I'll avoid that, thanks.

Did you know diet sodas have aspertame? You know, the crap that causes memory loss? I rather have the suger on my teeth than memory loss thanks.

Everything causes something...

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

The one thing I remember about Mountain Dew is a story one of my american female friends told me.

I visited her in the summer of 1998, and somewhere along the trip I bought a bottle of Mountain Dew. She told me she couldn't even stand the smell of Mountain Dew, and I asked her why.

It turned out her ex-boyfriend used to drink a lot of that stuff, but one summer it was really hot and he sat in front of his computer all the time, doing nothing but drink Mountain Dew and play Star Craft (I think). After a few weeks of him doing that, she broke up with him.

So I said, "Ok, that would make you mad at your ex, but why hate Mountain Dew?", to which she replied, "When I gave him fellatio he had drunk so much Mountain Dew even his ... tasted like that stuff!".

I didn't drink any more Mountain Dew after that.

;)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

she replied, "When I gave him fellatio he had drunk so much Mountain Dew even his ... tasted like that stuff!".

I didn't drink any more Mountain Dew after that. ;)

Girls always go way overline when they're being explicit. It seems they havent mastered the art of being vulgar and refined at the same time as we men have.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yes, that's why when I casually mention that I drink diet soda  you jump on it with such non-judgemental, friendly-sounding comments as:

what the HELL is the point of "diet" fizzy drinks? If you were on a diet, you wouldn't drink coke or dr. Pepper etc at all, for eff sake!!! All it is is people fooling themselves into thinking they are being healthy.

Edit: And sorry if I'm rather defensive about it, but I've had this same convo w/several othes on the net, where they'd all jump and tell me, unasked for, how my drinking soda diet or not was so horrible, when all I'd say is "I luv diet Dew!" or some such silly thing. I'm just tired of it. Who cares.

Whenever someone around me has a diet soft drink I always respond with "Ugh... aspartame is naaaaaaasty." Then leave it at that. Apparently they're reformulating a lot of diet pops with Splenda, so I might switch to diet then, but as of now I can't drink diet because it just tastes really bad.

Oh, and on topic, Canadian Mountain Dew A) Has no caffiene, B) Has no vegetable oil in it, and C) Is made with sugar instead of High Fructose Corn Syrup. Which results in a much better tasting beverage(Mostly due to the lack of oil so it doesn't taste all greasy), but sadly no caffiene buzz.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

vegetable oil in a drink? wtf?:blink:

Why all the bad press for aspartame?

i've seen a few sites that claim to have evidence of aspartame being the devil in sweetener form but there is no way to check the veracity of the studies that produced the evidence.

Anyone shed any light on this?

A lot of conspiracy theories about what is good and bad for you in food seems to be poorly drawn conclusions.

Aspartame is a neurotoxin. High levels of Aspartame can cause nerve damage including numbness, twitching, and if you get enough, even paralysis. Oh and it has a nasty aftertaste.

You need EXTREMELY high quantities of Aspartame to get those effects though. Like if you drank a 12 pack of diet pop a day, you'd probably start getting aspartame poisoning after a few months.

Devastatorsig.jpg

were those effects discovered under laboratory conditions? in what form was the aspartame administered? Who did the testing? have there corroborative studies?

Its like the thing with fructose - it can cause deranged kidney and liver function. But thats when its given in an extremely high dose and in crystalline form.

I do agree that aspartame has a horrible taste and dont doubt that one day it will be replaced by something "safer"

But i what do i care, i only drink water.

I remember hearing about one test performed under laboratory conditions, which proved that Mountain Dew shrunks testicles. Not sure if it was tested internally or externally :lol:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I remember hearing about one test performed under laboratory conditions, which proved that Mountain Dew shrunks testicles. Not sure if it was tested internally or externally :lol:

That wasn't the Mountain Dew, but the Yellow 5 dye they put in it. Which is itself a toxic waste byproduct from (coal?) processing, deemed edible by the FDA. Since it's a waste product, it's dirt cheap, cheaper than Beta Carotene, even though it can produce the same coluration. Therefore about half the products on the shelves will shrink your testicles, as well as kill sperm cells. Anything with Yellow 5 in it really. Peeps are a b!tch for that matter.

Thanks for clearing that up. C-C Company is evil, I tell you. :ph34r:

kirottu said:

were those effects discovered under laboratory conditions? in what form was the aspartame administered? Who did the testing? have there corroborative studies?

Its like the thing with fructose - it can cause deranged kidney and liver function. But thats when its given in an extremely high dose and in crystalline form.

I do agree that aspartame has a horrible taste and dont doubt that one day it will be replaced by something "safer"

But i what do i care, i only drink water.

That was lab tests, same form used in diet pop. There have been reported cases of Aspartame poisoning in people who drink a lot of diet pop though. You have to be mad to drink that much though.

And they're starting to use Splenda to sweeten diet pop now I think. Which is sucralose I believe, which is made from sugar. It actually does taste very similar to sugar.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Everything in the world can be physically harmful to humans to some degree or another.

Individuals make choices about what risks they're willing to live with vs. how they wish to enjoy their period of living-time on the planet.

Btw, I have friends who drink way more than 12 diet sodas a day, for decades, and they're just fine. No drooling, no fainting spells, no loss of IQ or ability to concentrate. If they're brain-posioned, you wouldn't know it by their real-world (vs a lab) abilties.

Many health risks are also highly dependant on other factors - such as individual chemistry/tolerance & other diet/lifestyle considerations - lab tests are a nice starting point but often they make things sound scarier than they really are.

Anyway...as someone else said...live and let live. The risk that's comfortable/tolerable for you isn't neccesarily what's tolerable/comfortable for someone else.