Poll - Obsidian's Next PnP to CRPG Project

Rhomal

I'd say it was. What was your problem? People keep complaining about it, but I had a great time w/ it...

I've had a look at the AI engine they're supposedly using. It is basically like a list of goals, from what I managed to gather. It's the NPC's 'to-do' list, and determines what he does, when he does it, etc. They're supposedly able to pickpocket and/or attack somebody they hate (ie a Dark Elf and a Nord, etc.). This could make it very amusing just to walk around... I'm not getting my hopes up, though. I've got a HUGE list of games I'm going to play in the next year or so... With hopefully a big, juicy Kotor III at the end of 2006. :ph34r: :rolleyes:

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

Wait, wait wait. I found this at actiontrip. Obsidian using Unreal Engine 3.0 in their next game? True or false?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Wait, wait wait. I found this at actiontrip. Obsidian using Unreal Engine 3.0 in their next game? True or false?

From front page

Obsidian Entertainment, Inc. is looking for talent to work on an unannounced project!

Mar 31, 2005

Head on over to our Jobs page to check the open positions.

So yes, they use Unreal Engine 3.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Own setting, own rule-system, old-school-CRPG-style and ... PC-only, then I'd be happy. Although I'm pretty sure old-school-CRPG-style and PC-only are probably not going to happen ...

I'd say Feargus has hinted at such, since he commented something about publishers thinking that games need to be console capable in order to sell well. (paraphrasing here, don't hurt me Feargie)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I really hope they make their own setting and rule system.

Own setting, own rule-system, old-school-CRPG-style and ... PC-only, then I'd be happy. Although I'm pretty sure old-school-CRPG-style and PC-only are probably not going to happen ...

I must agree, again, with Sermon here. There's not going to be another Planescape game, so this would be the second best option. Nice big cities, pirates, dungeon hacking, party banter and no D&D. >_<

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I'd say Feargus has hinted at such, since he commented something about publishers thinking that games need to be console capable in order to sell well.  (paraphrasing here, don't hurt me Feargie)

Yes, I've read Feargie's statement. Nevertheless I think that there is still a big enough market for PC-only games, just waiting to be served. Problem is that publishers don't think the same. At the moment the PC is only an afterthought in the minds of the publishers, because the really big bucks are with console games these days, but like I said, while the PC market is not as profitable at the moment, I think it's still big enough to warrant PC-only games.

I had not yet voted when I made my last post, but after giving my vote to Shadowrun, I begun to wonder if it's such a good idea after all. I mean, sure we need more scifi and less fantasy crpgs, but would it really gather a large audience of buyers? Nowadays crpgs are of the mmo variety, usually fantasy-themed and most of them have a cancer of munchkinism. All of these are feats which are not really represented in the world of Shadowrun. Most of the so-called veterans would propably buy it right away, but how could it appeal to the mass where the money is at?

More boobs, perhaps? :devil:"

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I mean, sure we need more scifi and less fantasy crpgs, but would it really gather a large audience of buyers?

...Final Fantasy's been combining medieval fantasy and sci-fi since Final Fantasy 4, and the series is still going strong. Even in the massive multiplayer online 'roll'-playing front, you have titles like Project Entropia, Anarchy Online, and other such sci-fi games. And those seem to get good recognition as well. Hell, Star Wars is basically fantasy meets sci-fi, and how successful is it?

:blink:

I mean, sure we need more scifi and less fantasy crpgs, but would it really gather a large audience of buyers?

...Final Fantasy's been combining medieval fantasy and sci-fi since Final Fantasy 4, and the series is still going strong. Even in the massive multiplayer online 'roll'-playing front, you have titles like Project Entropia, Anarchy Online, and other such sci-fi games. And those seem to get good recognition as well. Hell, Star Wars is basically fantasy meets sci-fi, and how successful is it?

True on all instances.

Still, FF is a respected for it's own worth. For being a good jrpg-series. I wouldn't really call them scifi here, and on the other hand their largest audience is still where the jrpgs's home is at: Japan. Even if the games stopped selling in the western world, Square still would have more than enough buyers back home.

About scifi mmos, they're...well mmorpgs? Both of your examples came out during the huge mmorpg boom, which is still going on. True, they are rpgs in sense and gathered an userbase for just being different from the majority of the other mmos, but we were talking about crpgs, weren't we? (What were those other scifi games you mentioned? I'd like to have examples.)

About SW, the only examples of succesful merging of crpg and SW are KotOR-games. The first one had the reputation of Bioware to back it up. The second is still on the verge of being a huge hit, but when it does cross that line; an argument must be made that a huge part of it's buyers were the original fanbase of KotOR 1, having nothing to do with scifi. On the other hand, a big factor fo their success was also the sensation of new. Which kind of undermines my argument :devil:

I really want to be wrong, you know.

kirottu said:

Very true, however, I find that the Final Fantasy series gets its success from the overall package... Being a good JRPG is definitely a part of it, though, but the use of those two settings in a single game, with varying degrees, does pay off as well. I don't think there's an accurate means of gauging western reception to that type of sci-fi, or to sci-fi itself, in CRPGs, but when the market's saturated with D&D-based or themed CRPGs, it becomes hard to do so.

As for theother games I mentioned, I was talking of other sci-fi MMORPGs. It was more to point out that sci-fi can be well received, wheter on its own or with a medieval fantasy-themed combo... Actually, aside Project Entropia and Anarchy Online, you also have Earth and Beyond, The Matrix Online, and Eve Online. Planetside is a combination of sorts as well, being a FPS RPG attempt. Also, if the Final Fantasy MMORPG maintains the basic setting clash, it might count as well.

Yeah, but think how hard a cyberpunk world with elves would be to ingest. Especially if it's party based and relies heavily on it's story( as was common with BIS-games)

kirottu said:

A good consideration, but I think the appeal of Shadowrun is that it can be appreciated by either a fan of fantasy and sci-fi alike. It risks not being as appreciated by either fan were it focusing only on either genre, true, but it just might be pulled off in a way that either genre in it can appeal to those who aren't much of a fan of it.

O'course, "might" is as good as an "if"... I doubt we'll be getting a proper Shadowrun CRPG anytime soon, or a 'full' sci-fi CRPG for that matter.