Mandalorians have a language?

Remember that strange girl that spoke "Mandalorian" in KotOR 1, Sasha? Well, the Mandalorians obviously have a langauge. So why don't they use it in KotOR II and just have subtitles. Or is Ordo just an exception? Hm... :)

signature2.jpg

Fanfics:

KotOR II: After the Credits Rolled: Read

Force Sight: Read

Other:

Gaming Blog: Read

Well to have Canderous (ie. a main Char) talking Mandalorian alien is not exactly a positive thing, and then to have one Mandalorian speak basic but none of the others talk it would be weird. I know Mission is one such exception, but the idea was that Twi'leks were everywhere and all in different roles.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Apparently, in KOTOR2 at least, the Mandalorian accent sounds very Australian. 

:p

Fair dinkum!  ;)

The whole section with Sasha (the girl who could only speak mandalorian) would have been hilarious if she just spoke stereotypical Australian words instead of Mandalorian Twi'lek.

Sasha: G'Day, Bruce? Everything Bonzer?

Revan: You're Speaking some form of mandalorian...and pronouncing everything like it's a question...

Sasha: Feel like a Barbie? Grab a fourex?

Revan: I'll be back later.

Sasha: See you in the soup?

No offence intended to any Australians, BTW. ;)

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

lol :p

From what I heard in KOTOR2, I thought the Mandalorian voices sounded much more like a Kiwi accent than Aussie... and that SORT OF made sense too, in a round about non-sensical sort of way (heh) because in Episode II Jango Fett (who if im not mistaken is the 'last' of the Mandalorians) was played by a bloke from New Zealand, Temuera Morrison.

;)

lol :p

From what I heard in KOTOR2, I thought the Mandalorian voices sounded much more like a Kiwi accent than Aussie... and that SORT OF made sense too, in a round about non-sensical sort of way (heh) because in Episode II Jango Fett (who if im not mistaken is the 'last' of the Mandalorians) was played by a bloke from New Zealand, Temuera Morrison.

:)

Ah, well, that may be the case. Personally, I've not met enough Aussies and Kiwis to be able to tell the difference (I'd imagine you'd have same trouble distinguishing Glaswegian and Edinburgh accents :blink:).

I just had a thought, though. If Jango Fett is the last Mandalorian, and therefore the only one eligible for the position, shouldn't he be called Mandalore?

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Which makes you wonder why stormtroopers dont speak with a new zealand accent dosnt it?

Then again it also makes you wonder what happened to make them totally incompetant between EPIII and IV.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

lol :)

Yeah they were Kiwi accents definitely

I always thought Jango was just wearing Mandalorian Armor.

Ya know what the problem is with all this Kiwi accent thing, it means all the stormtroopers ought to have that accent too, seeing as Boba was given one (I mean his dad dies when he's about 10, the chances of Boba retaining a clear accent through to his 30s was dubious at best, so I assumed they were suggesting it must be genetic :lol:

Oh well, GL in his 'wisdom'. <_< (Personally I saw nothing wrong with Boba Fetts original voice, but he seems to be obsessed with fixing whats broken and fixed regardless of whether its actually necessary)

I'm just glad he didn't take the extra step, cos if I was hearing 'there's one, set for stun' in kiwi accents I'd have probably thrown the DVDs out the window (w00t)

The Mandies do have a language... Sasha spoke a mix of Twi'lek and Mandalorian (poor voice acting beside).

I think the Mandies in Kotor don't speak it because in Basic people understand their ignorant threats better... I think that they only talk to eachother in Mandalorian, if they ever use it at all...

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

Mandalorians are just Aussies with very tiny heads.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Which makes you wonder why stormtroopers dont speak with a new zealand accent dosnt it?

Then again it also makes you wonder what happened to make them totally incompetant between EPIII and IV.

I'm pretty sure Stormtroopers are not clone troopers. Stormtroopers are regular guys in stupid white armour. Han Solo was a Stormtrooper at one point (when he rescued a certain wookie from a group of not quite so nice stormtroopers), and I think I remember Luke talking with his Uncle at the start of ANH about going off to join the Imperial Army like his friends did.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

If memory serves doesn't Mission tell the PC that most aliens speak basic but would rather speak their own language? It would then make sense to me that 'allies' would speak basic to the PC. Dunno, just a thought. That seems like it would also validate Sasha's language use since she would hear mostly Mandalorian during her tenur with them.

I was kinda afraid that Lucas was going to go back and re-dub ALL their dialogue for the DVDs because of that...

That would be extra dumb if that happened :ph34r: anyway accents aren't genetic

I still think that the stormtroopers from the OT arent the mandalorian clones. Many things can/could have happened in the 20 or so years between ep3 and ep 4.

I had once heard of a fanfilm where the clone DNA was contaminated with gungan DNA by the early rebellion movement - this would explain the stormtroopers' craptitude in the OT compared with the awesomeness of the clonetroopers. The idea is quite funny and i am holding to it until it is proven otherwise :D

lol ;)

Ah, well, that may be the case. Personally, I've not met enough Aussies and Kiwis to be able to tell the difference (I'd imagine you'd have same trouble distinguishing Glaswegian and Edinburgh accents :rolleyes:).

I just had a thought, though. If Jango Fett is the last Mandalorian, and therefore the only one eligible for the position, shouldn't he be called Mandalore?

Jango was Mandalore why he was leading the Mercenaries, but when he and the last of the Mandalorian mercs died, there wouldn't be another Mandalore until Spar(a Arc clone of Jango) went to PLANET Mandalore and was given the title Mandalore the Resurrector. Which means he would be the one who would resurrect the Mandalorian Supercommandos out of the decendents of the Mandalorian people.

Spar went wako, and the title of Mandalore went to Fenn Shysa; who was a Mandalorian commando who faught under Spar in the Clone Wars.

When Fenn died, Boba Fett became Mandalore, and he is still Mandalore in present continuity, and was last seen leading the Mandalorian army against the Yuuzhan Vong.

KOTOR 2 must be completed

lol :blink:

:p

Ah, well, that may be the case. Personally, I've not met enough Aussies and Kiwis to be able to tell the difference (I'd imagine you'd have same trouble distinguishing Glaswegian and Edinburgh accents :ermm:).

Jango was Mandalore why he was leading the Mercenaries, but when he and the last of the Mandalorian mercs died, there wouldn't be another Mandalore until Spar(a Arc clone of Jango) went to PLANET Mandalore and was given the title Mandalore the Resurrector. Which means he would be the one who would resurrect the Mandalorian Supercommandos out of the decendents of the Mandalorian people.

Spar went wako, and the title of Mandalore went to Fenn Shysa; who was a Mandalorian commando who faught under Spar in the Clone Wars.

When Fenn died, Boba Fett became Mandalore, and he is still Mandalore in present continuity, and was last seen leading the Mandalorian army against the Yuuzhan Vong.

Well, that's me told. I've never really been one to read an EU stuff, but thanks for the info.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

:ermm:

Yeah they were Kiwi accents definitely

Then this page should help us Americans out in terms of understanding Mandalorians!

http://www.nz-immigration.co.nz/lifestyles/slang-words.html

:D

evil_twin.jpg

Just a quick little bit of info on hearing "real" Mandalorian language... Listen to Republic Commando's soundtrack, it's written in Mandalorian.

It would've been nify to hear some Mandalorians speaking thier language, but it's nothing too important within the games...unless it was required, like Sasha.