The useless information thread!

Rosbjerg

ohhh! so thats what it means - one of the mottos on the edges of pound coins.

Anaother one is something something wyf i'm glad (dont have any pound coins to hand and cant remember it :"> )

useless info: Fear of Friday !3th is called paraskevidekatriaphobia

Although i am pretty sure this is referring to the supposedly unlucky date i would also assume it could apply to the films - not because they are scary but because they are terrible.

In actual fact, many English investors defied the orders of their government and maintained their investment in the Company of Scotland, however, when it was discovered by the investors that Darien was largely uninhabitable, they attempted to convince the leaders of the company to place a colony in africa instead.  It was only when the head of the Company (whose name escapes me) refused to believe that Darien was anything other than a coastal paradise that the other investors pulled out.  As a result, one third of the total wealth in all of Scotland was invested in the venture, including the life savings of many poor and middle class families.  The fact that England took over the debt and was capable of repaying the common people of Scotland who had lost their money may be one reason why the Act of Union was not violently resisted to any significant degree.

DISLAIMER: I once studied this in huge detail, but the above is typed entirely from memory.  It may not be 100% accurate.

Cool, I had to go searching for the info -- I saw it on tv a couple of years ago. I can't for the life of me remember who the Scottish monarch was, though: I thought it was Mary but she was executed in 1587 -- which was too early, wasn't it?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

In actual fact, many English investors defied the orders of their government and maintained their investment in the Company of Scotland, however, when it was discovered by the investors that Darien was largely uninhabitable, they attempted to convince the leaders of the company to place a colony in africa instead.  It was only when the head of the Company (whose name escapes me) refused to believe that Darien was anything other than a coastal paradise that the other investors pulled out.  As a result, one third of the total wealth in all of Scotland was invested in the venture, including the life savings of many poor and middle class families.  The fact that England took over the debt and was capable of repaying the common people of Scotland who had lost their money may be one reason why the Act of Union was not violently resisted to any significant degree.

DISLAIMER: I once studied this in huge detail, but the above is typed entirely from memory.  It may not be 100% accurate.

Cool, I had to go searching for the info -- I saw it on tv a couple of years ago. I can't for the life of me remember who the Scottish monarch was, though: I thought it was Mary but she was executed in 1587 -- which was too early, wasn't it?

Well, by this point (the 1690s) there was no "Scottish" monarch, per se, as the Union of the Crowns had already happened. The King and Queen of England, Scotland, and Ireland were by this time William III of England and II of Scotland, and Mary II, ruling jointly. in 1702, Queen Anne ascended to the thrones, and in 1707 became the first monarch of Great Britain and Ireland.

I realise now that I had been getting confused by what actually happened, and what might have happened with regards to the Scottish East India Company (I studied it in depth because I was writing some alternative history on it). To correct what I had said previously, many English investors offered to continue their investment in the company in exchange for guarantees of protection from the English parliament and a large say in the running of the company (meaning that the colony would go in Africa, where they preferred it), but these were rebuffed by the Scottish EIC, which instead continued with it's original plan without the investors.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Yeah, it was the Mary II that threw me. William (III) of Orange -- haven't heard that name since high school. :huh:

I read Nathaniel's Nutmeg last year (or the year before) -- that was an eye-opener. (In my experience English speakers generally don't know much about the Dutch East Indies ... probably don't want to highlight the tragic performance wrt health, military, trade, politics and exploration. :)" )

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Kaftan barlast was once treated to "Dave's insanity sauce" by a fellow from Seattle.

it was like eating teargas :huh:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Kaftan barlast was once treated to "Dave's insanity sauce" by a fellow from Seattle.

it was like eating teargas :)

The secret is to eat it while the meal is still hot. Once the meal cools, the chillis paradoxically taste hotter. ;)

I've had those shots of vodka marinated in chillis for months. Great for clearing nasal congestion.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

while reading some posts from a furry forum, I have developed an actual honest-to-god real unconcious twitch in my eye. With all this SAN loss, I am succumbing to a total loss of mental health.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Where did the salute come from?

The salute came from the Dark Ages when knights would talk to each other, they had to lift up the face shields on their helmets. To this day, many government militaries have adopted it as a "salute."

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

Why the hell were you reading posts from a furry forum in the first place?

I was going through last week's Weekend Web on Something Awful, and one of the forums they were looking at was a furry one.

Could someone finaly tell me what exactly a furrie is? Is it people who dress up as animals to have sex or is it people who like to have sex with animals? Or both?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Why the hell were you reading posts from a furry forum in the first place?

I was going through last week's Weekend Web on Something Awful, and one of the forums they were looking at was a furry one.

Could someone finaly tell me what exactly a furrie is? Is it people who dress up as animals to have sex or is it people who like to have sex with animals? Or both?

People who dress up together and make... Furrie! (w00t)

And no Kaftan i will not make furry with you! :cool:

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Wasn't this discussed in your Nerd poll? ;)

A furrie seems to be a person who dresses up in animal costumes and engages in intercourse :)

A person who engages in intercourse with an animal is called a zoophile :)

Wasn't this discussed in your Nerd poll? :)

A furrie seems to be a person who dresses up in animal costumes and engages in intercourse :(

A person who engages in intercourse with an animal is called a zoophile :)

... and badger hunting is not what is sounds like, and roasting is a completely different thing altogether. :thumbsup:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Whilst watching The Jacket this evening I discovered that Keira Knightley can't close her mouth... she's forever trying to catch flies :-

There... that counts as useless information, right?

DL ;)

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

Taste buds "live" for about ten days. Once you burn them (as I did tonight on my lasagne) they just get replaced in cycle.

Taste buds are just highly concentrated olfactory nerves.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Deforest Kelly didnt speak to William Shatner for 2 years while they were doing the original Star Trek series. One day Kelly came rushing into makeup all upset that his chiuawua had died. He had taken it for a walk outside and it had run headfirst into a watersprinkler nozzle and died from the impact. Upon hearing this, Shatner and everyone else in the room started laughing. Kelly apparently missed the comedy in the situation.