The useless information thread!

Rosbjerg

There are more people alive today then were ever alive during the whole of human history.

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/dead.htm

Hmm, I'd like to see the working for their statement. The world population was tiny (technical measurement) for thousands of years: to claim 6 billion since 5000BCE is a bit rich. I take the point that it's a little difficult to estimate the beginning of humans, so the normal cut off is generally human history (which we can safely cut off at Babylon and the writing of the Bible -- insults to other indigenous cultures notwithstanding).

:p"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

There are more people alive today then were ever alive during the whole of human history.

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/dead.htm

Hmm, I'd like to see the working for their statement. The world population was tiny (technical measurement) for thousands of years: to claim 6 billion since 5000BCE is a bit rich. I take the point that it's a little difficult to estimate the beginning of humans, so the normal cut off is generally human history (which we can safely cut off at Babylon and the writing of the Bible -- insults to other indigenous cultures notwithstanding).

:p"

Remember that most of the population from the 19th and Early 20th century are also dead, so that gives you a head start of a few billion right off the bat. in the 1800s, the population is 1 billion, and they're all dead. By 1927, it's 2 billion, and almost all of them are dead. There's 3 billion right off the bat. Then remember the huge infant mortality rates in ancient times, meaning that any documents of population from earlier times won't include whatever number of humans would die every year in infancy, so in many cases you could triple the population of any early source assuming infant mortality to be somewhere around 30%, which considering that some countries today are still at rates of 20%, could be rather generous. I'd guess a figure far higher than 6 billion for all the people who are not alive today.

I don't have their specific working, but how about your statement? Can I see your working?

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Not to mention that the life expectancy for those who did make it beyond infancy was dramatically lower than today. Disease and war would take many young'uns as well. Still does, to a lesser degree.

[...] but how about your statement?  Can I see your working?

[...] The world population was tiny (technical measurement) for thousands of years [...]

I think that was it...

The number of the Antichrist is not 666 but 616, according to a fragment of the oldest surviving copy of the New Testament, discovered in Egypt.

i saw that... the numbers thing they used to do way back when... had something to do with caesar, i believe (er, one of the caesers i think).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Russia Is GOLD!

According to xenus.net.ru Boiling Point has gone Gold in Russia! and will be released on May 20th

Thanks Serdiuk!

Click here to Comment

Now this is from April 29th:

www.xenus.net.ru have news that Boiling Point will be presented at E3 this year! >_<

This will certainly make up for it's absence last year!

Click here to comment

So will we get our version soon...or must we waite until after E3 :thumbsup:

"Useless Information" by Agent Smith -

The board member known as "Baley" is actually a virus:

agent-smith-sunglasses.jpg

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify Baley's species. I realized that he's not actually a poster. Every poster on this board instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding fora, but you Baley, do not. You move to a topic, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural post is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another thread. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Baley is a disease, a cancer of this forum. Baley - you are a plague, and we are the cure."

^_^

manthing2.jpg

36_2_46v.gif

:thumbsup:

It's the Bale-icon! Run for your lives!

Speaking of Baley and running:

The 1998 edition of The Guinness Book of World Records features an article about Donovan Bailey, billed as the fastest man alive.

The article begins: "Canadian Donovan Bailey rocketed into the record books when he set a new world mark of 9.84 seconds for the 100-meter dash at the Atlanta Olympics." It briefly recounts Bailey's career and, toward the end, quotes Bailey: "No one has ever run as fast as I have, running 27 mph."

manthing2.jpg

"Useless Information" by Agent Smith - 

The board member known as "Baley" is actually a virus:

"I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify Baley's species. I realized that he's not actually a poster. Every poster on this board instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding fora, but you Baley, do not. You move to a topic, and you multiply, and multiply, until every natural post is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another thread. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. A virus. Baley is a disease, a cancer of this forum. Baley - you are a plague, and we are the cure."

^_^

Baley try taking a few days off from the forum i'm sure it will do you some good, your friends and family probably miss you. Then you can come back in a few days feeling a little refreshed. Also when applying to universities, listing forum spamming is hardly a good extra curricular activity :thumbsup:

useless info: Anabolic steroids can give you a big gut, as it also increases the muscle mass of involuntary muscle such as your intestines. This leads to huge bodybuilders looking like they are pregnant.

Remember that most of the population from the 19th and Early 20th century are also dead, so that gives you a head start of a few billion right off the bat. in the 1800s, the population is 1 billion, and they're all dead.  By 1927, it's 2 billion, and almost all of them are dead.  There's 3 billion right off the bat.  Then remember the huge infant mortality rates in ancient times, meaning that any documents of population from earlier times won't include whatever number of humans would die every year in infancy, so in many cases you could triple the population of any early source assuming infant mortality to be somewhere around 30%, which considering that some countries today are still at rates of 20%, could be rather generous.  I'd guess a figure far higher than 6 billion for all the people who are not alive today.

I don't have their specific working, but how about your statement?  Can I see your working?

Yep, I have to concede I thought you might have a slight chance of being moderately more inclined to to better side of correctness than I might have been ( :blink:" )when I was going over the figures in my head as I fell asleep last night ... :-

I started thinking about the elephant in the middle of the room: the other empire that occidental scholars (me! :thumbsup: ) tend to forget, or worse, ignore: China. (I'm currently reading all about Emperor Zhu Di who sent Zheng He, his trusted right hand eunuch, out across the oceans of the world in a grand series of voyages of discovery lasting six years and circumnavigating the entire globe.)

So, to rapidly change the subject, next bit of miscellania:

Christopher Columbus used a map based on the Chinese voyages of discovery led by Zheng He in 1421.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Google just put up the Beta version of Google Groups 2 on all of their regional websites. There is now no way to access the version of Google Groups that isn't COMPLETELY FARKING AWFUL.

UGH! I hate Google Groups beta. It wasn't broke, why on earth would they attempt to fix it?

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Okay,Blade Runner,the game ^_^

CD1

CD2

CD3

CD4

Enjoy :rolleyes:

Baley, without me downloading the game, what sort is it? It sounds like a text adventure, like Infocom did a couple of, in the eighties:

Suspect,

The Witness,

Leather Godesses of Phobos -- oh, hang on that wasn't one!

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

If it's the same Bladerunner game I played, it's a semi-3D detective quasi-RPG. Pretty much everything you do in the game effects the ending and the course of the game, and characters can be human or replicant depending on how you handle situations. I thought it was a pretty good game.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

If it's the same Bladerunner game I played, it's a semi-3D detective quasi-RPG.  Pretty much everything you do in the game effects the ending and the course of the game, and characters can be human or replicant depending on how you handle situations.  I thought it was a pretty good game.

Yes..exactly..here's a Review

One of my favourite adventure games :rolleyes:

If it's the same Bladerunner game I played, it's a semi-3D detective quasi-RPG.  Pretty much everything you do in the game effects the ending and the course of the game, and characters can be human or replicant depending on how you handle situations.  I thought it was a pretty good game.

Yes..exactly..here's a Review

One of my favourite adventure games :thumbsup:

Ah, Baley, I thought you had a few moments too long for sleep. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info: I think I will just squeeze it onto my system:

Final Grade: A

System Requirements:

Windows 95 or higher

Pentium 90 MHz CPU

16 MB RAM

16 bit SVGA graphics card with 2 MB video memory

HD with 175 MB available

4x CD-Rom drive

Microsoft compatible mouse

Windows supported sound card

Here is the real universe: Reality; I'm stuck in some weird place where smart people are ridiculed for being different ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT