TSL Restoration Project: Work in Progress

Team Gizka,

Thanks for all the hard work!

Here's a small suggestion that may help:

a.) Help people understand what kind of effort is going into this, and

b.) Get the more impatient people off of your diligent and well-appreciated backs.

In the progress reports, under the very cool light saber bars, give an hours worked estimate. Note: only a valid suggestion if it won't add more undo labor to what is surely a gueling labor-of-love anyhow!

Rather out of my mind this morning,

Cloris

I was glad to read in your WIP that you are adding hoods and customised lightsabre grips. Excellent, dudes! :-"

They are? Did I miss something on the WIP page?......no....I didn't....what WIP page are you looking at?

The invisible WIP page, visible only to rumor starters who don't quite seem to understand that it's hard enough to control how the information *we* release is interpreted, much less information someone else releases, especialy when it's blatantly false.

I knew it was in jest from the smiley, but there will be people that will misinterpret everything, so if y'all could refrain from doing this from now on that'd really be helpful. Thanks.

*looks around, points to self* Who, me?

:">

Shucks, I was just having some fun with the fanboys. :-

:( -- DARK POINTS GAINED -- :)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Shucks, I was just having some fun with the fanboys.  :)

That can be fun, so fair enough, but I for one would appreciate it if nobody did it in this particular topic - I don't want Team Gizka to grow tired of us and drop the project because of how we behave here. They're people doing something many of us really want to see, and they're doing it all out of the kindness of their hearts, so let us not tempt them with the lure of the dark side ;)

As far as I'm concerned, the fanboys are fair game everywhere else, but please not on this topic, since it's more than just another discussion now - it's become an voice for the TSL Restoration Project, so we should probably keep the tone very serious and sincere. After all, Dashus and the others can still post on other topics, if they feel like it.

We don't mind the messing with the fanfolk; we're just asking people to not spread rumors they know to be false. It simply causes more headaches than it's worth.

TSLRP

Propaganda Minister

Diagnostic result: I seem to have no personality whatsoever.

Guest MacleodCorp

I just had this weird thought, which would turn this whole thing upside down. You know that there is a patch, which fixes the sound and movies files, and there are a series of bugs. Now, the patch for the movie and sounds has to be between 50 to 100 megabytes. At the moment, it has been some time since the first patch 1.0b.

Oky, what am I driving at: What if: What it is taking Lucas Arts so long to release the sound and movie patch is an 'Expansion pack', which includes all the cut content, the new movie and sound files, and fixes for the technical side of the game. Since the movies and sound patch has to be enormous, I have no doubt this would be a reality.

How did I come to this conclusion:

1. It has been some time since a patch was released.

2. The movie and sound patch is too large for internet downloading.

3. The game has bugs.

4. People have been complaining.

5. When you look at the files through the KotOR Tool, which is a modding tool, they say 'Live Content' or game patch all over them.

Now, ObsidianEnt said they gave their files to Lucas Arts. Some times game companies go to second parties to start production, and then finish the work in house.

Wow, that would mean all the work here would be in vein... I would want to buy the product from the source and not from another party. Team-Gizka is not affiliated with Lucas Arts or Obsidian Ent, and they started their work on an assumption, which could turn out to be in vein.... WOW!!!

An 'Expansion Pack' would be the perfect Public Relations act, and is a most likely occurance. Team-Gizka is working on the assumption that Lucas Arts is not making the "expansion Pack'.. Wow!!!

That is so chilling!!!

Unlikely.

It'd be neat, but I think if the patch had contained that stuff, it would have been mentioned.

Also, any programming work is never in vain. The stuff learned by the people working on the code is invaluable, and can be applied elsewhere. The only unfortunate thing is that they won't have this "released" which would be great on the resume.

Guest MacleodCorp
Unlikely.

It'd be neat, but I think if the patch had contained that stuff, it would have been mentioned.

Also, any programming work is never in vain.  The stuff learned by the people working on the code is invaluable, and can be applied elsewhere.  The only unfortunate thing is that they won't have this "released" which would be great on the resume.

You said: If the patch had contained that stuff, it would have been mantioned.' But, an "Expansion Pack' is not a patch... Very likely to happen.. Very likely...

You are right: A programmer's work is never in vein. I over spoke!

Also, an Expansion Pack takes from six months to a year to develope. I am willing to bet if one does exist it will be released September/October this year.

I don't get the feeling that there's an expansion coming out.

If there is, it'll likely wrap up the series like Throne of Bhaal did. Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, as KOTOR 3 could be a fresh start then.

Not necessarily. Many people already question expansion packs since they get the impression that stuff was left out simply to make more money.

To be fair, most of these people still buy the expansion.

Guest MacleodCorp
Not necessarily.  Many people already question expansion packs since they get the impression that stuff was left out simply to make more money.

To be fair, most of these people still buy the expansion.

If Lucas Arts released an 'Expansion Pack' to KotOR II, I and millions of others would buy it. I am from the advertising industry man, and I am telling you, The possibility is there to an almost 100% chance of happening.

The cut content will most likely make it to an Expansion Pack with the Sound and Movie Patch.

How did I come to this conclusion That this won't happen:

1. It has been some time since a patch was released

Remember the 2 months it took 1.0B for a few unimportant stuff... I wonder HOW long it will take to restore KOTOR2 and create this pack. 200% of the creation time? Also, if they would make it why should LA do that? I mean, OE has practically made the game and cut it, they are most likely the only ones that can cope up to make as it should be. An expansion by others if it has a whole new story; but if it has to fix up the existing one :blink:

2. The movie and sound patch is too large for internet downloading

No, No, No... What did you say. 100MB? I have a patch for a game already 280MB, and they just offered it at FilePlanet. Done. Why can't LA/OE then with 100MB? And it was just a bug-fix pack!

3. The game has bugs

An Expansion pack usually doesn't fix bugs, but adds story/gameplay. If I have to buy an expansion to fix the bugs in a game I bought, REFUND will probably the first word on my mind (after M*T**RF*C***S)

4. People have been complaining

And an expansion pack will fix that. Nope

5. When you look at the files through the KotOR Tool, which is a modding tool, they say 'Live Content' or game patch all over them

I don't have it, so can't say. But "Live Content" is a "never-coming myth" right now already, since Live Support misses... So what about the Patch too then???

Guest MacleodCorp

Remember the 2 months it took 1.0B for a few unimportant stuff... I wonder HOW long it will take to restore KOTOR2 and create this pack. 200% of the creation time? Also, if they would make it why should LA do that? I mean, OE has practically made the game and cut it, they are most likely the only ones that can cope up to make as it should be. An expansion by others if it has a whole new story; but if it has to fix up the existing one  :(

No, No, No... What did you say. 100MB? I have a patch for a game already 280MB, and they just offered it at FilePlanet. Done. Why can't LA/OE then with 100MB? And it was just a bug-fix pack!

3. The game has bugs

An Expansion pack usually doesn't fix bugs, bug adds story/gameplay. If I have to buy an expansion to fix the bugs in a game I bought, REFUND will probably the first word on my mind (after M*T**RF*C***S)

5. When you look at the files through the KotOR Tool, which is a modding tool, they say 'Live Content' or game patch all over them

I don't have it, so can't say. But "Live Content" is a "never-coming myth" right now already, since Live Support misses... So what about the Patch too then???

We will see!!!!

Remember the 2 months it took 1.0B for a few unimportant stuff... I wonder HOW long it will take to restore KOTOR2 and create this pack. 200% of the creation time? Also, if they would make it why should LA do that? I mean, OE has practically made the game and cut it, they are most likely the only ones that can cope up to make as it should be. An expansion by others if it has a whole new story; but if it has to fix up the existing one  :lol:

3. The game has bugs

An Expansion pack usually doesn't fix bugs, bug adds story/gameplay. If I have to buy an expansion to fix the bugs in a game I bought, REFUND will probably the first word on my mind (after M*T**RF*C***S)

We will see!!!!

What colour is the sky in Pollyannaland, MacLeod? Lollipop pink?

:blink:

You obviously suit your vocation very well, I'll give you that ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

An expansion pack which fixes bugs and alters plot in a game would be a first in the industry. It would also rile those who bought the game expecting a complete story and who now discover that they have to pay $20 more to get it. That would not be a smart PR move. If anything it would be downloadable. The update to go from my installed version of NWN, straight from disc, to current (1.66) is ~40MB so large patches aren't unheard of.

Of course given that we've worked for 5 months on this now, it would a major downer to see our efforts precluded by such a patch :(

TSLRP

Propaganda Minister

Diagnostic result: I seem to have no personality whatsoever.

Guest MacleodCorp
An expansion pack which fixes bugs and alters plot in a game would be a first in the industry.  It would also rile those who bought the game expecting a complete story and who now discover that they have to pay $20 more to get it.  That would not be a smart PR move.  If anything it would be downloadable.  The update to go from my installed version of NWN, straight from disc, to current (1.66) is ~40MB so large patches aren't unheard of.

Of course given that we've worked for 5 months on this now, it would a major downer to see our efforts precluded :blink:

You call this a patch? I thought it was a massive mod?

Guest MacleodCorp
No, you called it a worthy target for an expansion.

There are two chances LA will release more content for K2 in a patch:

1. Buckley's, and

2. None.

I think you missinterprested what I said, "I believe that an Expansion Pack would include: The Sound and Movie Patch, Bug Fixes, and the Cut Content." I didn't say that 'TSL Restoration Project' was a target for an Expansion Pack, but the 'cut content' was a target for a possible 'Expansion Pack'. I also said, in reference to Dashus's comments that he believed that TSL Restoration Project' was a patch, when in reality it is a massive mod. Two different things... very different indeed... If they claim that this is a patch, that is making the statement that ObsidianEnt is invloved.