TSL Restoration Project: Work in Progress

Let me just say the team doing this is going to be richly rewarded someday... either by winning the lottery, meeting a guy who is like a human version of Atton Rand, hell, might even be seeing Episode III for free...

signature2.jpg

Fanfics:

KotOR II: After the Credits Rolled: Read

Force Sight: Read

Other:

Gaming Blog: Read

BIG thumbs up to all of you who are working on this project. Your time and effort is greatly appreciated. I know it probably sucks that you won't be compensated for your efforts but I know the satisfaction of taking a game you enjoyed playing and making it better will be welll worth it and its something that will not go unrecognized by us all.

I for one will be patiently waiting to play KOTOR 2, for the first time, once you are finished with the project. I'm a little shocked that after reading through the 20+ pages there wasn't any feedback from the good people at Obsidian. I'm curious to hear their thoughts on this project.

Hey guys, just a heads up... I've updated the Fuel for Telos quest fix download on the website. It now restores a journal entry (two actually, but you don't get to see the last one since Vogga doesn't have dialogue for it, but I've set it up so that the quest will be considered "Completed" at the expected step) and corrects the text referenced for the second step.

And for those who didn't know but are interested in more interim bugfixes, there is an Escaped Criminals quest fix there as well, which will fix the spawning issues in both the Czerka Office and the Restoration Zone, and alter Grenn's dialogue to check quest variables correctly.

The files were modified "post-patch," or checked against the patched files, so everything should be compatible with patch 1.0b.

Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords Restoration Project

http://www.team-gizka.org

I'm looking forward to this. Just wondering, do you need to use a CD burner to put this update into your Xbox?

It was my understanding that you need a modded XBox (i.e. XBox with a mod chip installed) to transfer files from your PC to your XBox. I could be way off base though, considering that I don't have an XBox :lol:"

OT, I added the Telos Academy Imprisonment Cutscene Fix to the Downloads section.

Is this the first time in gaming history that the fan community has resurrected a game? Are the people doing this safe from lawyers as long as they don't sell the mod?

I'm just curious...mostly because where I'm from, modding is a flourishing art, protected from laws and regulations by an impenetrible layer of corruption. :blink:

Is this the first time in gaming history that the fan community has resurrected a game?  Are the people doing this safe from lawyers as long as they don't sell the mod?

I'm just curious...mostly because where I'm from, modding is a flourishing art, protected from laws and regulations by an impenetrible layer of corruption.  :blink:

They should be safe. Since, they aren't selling and its a stand-alone mod, meaning that its the only thing that it is. Its not an entirely new game for download. Being that Lucasarts encourages mods and this will only help them make money off the game.

Is this the first time in gaming history that the fan community has resurrected a game?  Are the people doing this safe from lawyers as long as they don't sell the mod?

I'm just curious...mostly because where I'm from, modding is a flourishing art, protected from laws and regulations by an impenetrible layer of corruption.  :blink:

They should be safe. Since, they aren't selling and its a stand-alone mod, meaning that its the only thing that it is. Its not an entirely new game for download. Being that Lucasarts encourages mods and this will only help them make money off the game.

Good good.

The project is currently recruiting! Check out the recruitment thread at our boards to see what sort of people we need!

EDIT: We've filled the position. Thanks to all who checked it out!

TSLRP

Propaganda Minister

Diagnostic result: I seem to have no personality whatsoever.

Master of Orion ]I[ has been modded by the community to be much better than it was upon release.

As for legal issues... Theoretically, they are using LA's own files in the game to restore content whilst adding their own (presumably), the downloads aren't for sale, they're not using the content to make or mod another game, so I don't see any copyright infringement.

IANAL, but I handle software permission contracts at my job, so some knowledge of copyright law is kinda required. ;)

I have one question about the HK Factory: will it also include HK-47's exclusive items (Droid Capacitator Armor, Droid Assassin's Rifle and Droid Assassinaton Module)? Cause I didn't found them in the normal game and I'm pretty sure that someone around here said they were supposed to be found in the Factory.

I asked this a while ago, but nobody responded, so I'll just repost it in case nobody noticed. Of course, the restoration team may not have considered the following, but if you have, then I'd like to hear your thoughts...

I was wondering if the restored content will affect how things turn out with Atris. We know that there are some sound-bits for her replacing Kreia during the final game, but it may not be possible to restore her as the potential Darth Traya if there are too few. I think the idea of letting her take that position dropped during production rather than cut along with other content toward the end. The restoration team might know this better than me... (An evil Atris could be cool, though...)

However, there was also an idea to let Atris become a group member toward the end of the game IIRC, which seems more likely to restore for me. I'd like that option, though it might be rather redundant. I mean, Visas and Mandalore will still be forced companions on the Ravager, and no companions are allowed on Malachor 5, which means you'd get to use Atris only during the attack on Citadel Station... But I'd actually prefer that option to just letting her sit on Telos with a thumb up her nose while the planet is under attack. That just seems so... silly.

Another thing I've noticed in the sound files for the return to Telos and the confrontation with Atris are some comments by the Handmaiden about how it is possible to defeat an opponent without killing him or her. I assume this was to be an option for fighting the handmaiden sisters without killing them that was never implemented. Given that you never fight the sisters in the game, we can't know whether these were comments the Handmaiden made to the Exile or thought to herself, but I tend to presume the latter given that she is referred to as a "slayer of her own kin" in some of the similarly cut sound files when the companions confront Darth Traya.

Has the restoration team made any decisions on these issues?

I have one question about the HK Factory: will it also include HK-47's exclusive items (Droid Capacitator Armor, Droid Assassin's Rifle and Droid Assassinaton Module)? Cause I didn't found them in the normal game and I'm pretty sure that someone around here said they were supposed to be found in the Factory.

HK's best stuff will indeed be resurrected.

I was wondering if the restored content will affect how things turn out with Atris. We know that there are some sound-bits for her replacing Kreia during the final game, but it may not be possible to restore her as the potential Darth Traya if there are too few. I think the idea of letting her take that position dropped during production rather than cut along with other content toward the end. The restoration team might know this better than me... (An evil Atris could be cool, though...)

However, there was also an idea to let Atris become a group member toward the end of the game IIRC, which seems more likely to restore for me. I'd like that option, though it might be rather redundant. I mean, Visas and Mandalore will still be forced companions on the Ravager, and no companions are allowed on Malachor 5, which means you'd get to use Atris only during the attack on Citadel Station... But I'd actually prefer that option to just letting her sit on Telos with a thumb up her nose while the planet is under attack. That just seems so... silly.

Another thing I've noticed in the sound files for the return to Telos and the confrontation with Atris are some comments by the Handmaiden about how it is possible to defeat an opponent without killing him or her. I assume this was to be an option for fighting the handmaiden sisters without killing them that was never implemented. Given that you never fight the sisters in the game, we can't know whether these were comments the Handmaiden made to the Exile or thought to herself, but I tend to presume the latter given that she is referred to as a "slayer of her own kin" in some of the similarly cut sound files when the companions confront Darth Traya.

Has the restoration team made any decisions on these issues?

This is an oft asked question now. Atris in fact has more lines for the "party confrontation" scene than Kreia. Unfortunately she has almost no lines for any other ending. I believe the decision to cut the "Kreia OR Atris as Traya" plot was another time saving measure. Part of this plot (for lightsiders probably) would have involved the player "redeeming" Atris. This likely would have allowed for a very interesting confrontation between Atris and Kreia (who would have become the end boss on Atris' redemption). So, alas, no work is currently being done on any Atris-related material (and no work will likely be done for this project).

With regards to the "defeating an opponent without killing them" this may be a reference to Force Persuade (Affect Mind?) and dialog options to get out of having to do so. I don't believe there was an option to do so (though I've only played through that a couple times). This may also be tied to whether or not you defeated the handmaidens in the one vs one battles (or 4 vs one as the case may be) but I've not looked into it.

TSLRP

Propaganda Minister

Another thing I've noticed in the sound files for the return to Telos and the confrontation with Atris are some comments by the Handmaiden about how it is possible to defeat an opponent without killing him or her. I assume this was to be an option for fighting the handmaiden sisters without killing them that was never implemented. Given that you never fight the sisters in the game, we can't know whether these were comments the Handmaiden made to the Exile or thought to herself

It's for a cut player-controlled fight sequence for the Handmaiden after Atris and Kreia confront each other. The gameplay programmer notes seem to indicate that they had two possible implementations for this fight, depending on how much time they had remaining to work on it (they put a implementation priority list in the notes for this part, and it looks like they only got the priority-A stuff done, which was to skip the fight altogether). I've got to discuss implications with the rest of the team first, but if all pans out, we may be restoring it...

It's for a cut player-controlled fight sequence for the Handmaiden after Atris and Kreia confront each other.

That's pretty much along the lines of what I expected too, yes. I should have mentioned this before, but if anyone's interested, the soundfiles I refer to are in the streamvoice/262/SISEND/ folder, files 262SISEND010 to 262SISEND012.

The gameplay programmer notes seem to indicate that they had two possible implementations for this fight, depending on how much time they had remaining to work on it (they put a implementation priority list in the notes for this part, and it looks like they only got the priority-A stuff done, which was to skip the fight altogether). I've got to discuss implications with the rest of the team first, but if all pans out, we may be restoring it...

There is a possibility to restore it?!? Wow!! That's a very pleasant surprise to me.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect you to, but that it's even being considering it is big news to me. Thank you!

After all, it's probably not a sequence many will care about, though I'd obviously like it bad. I thought the sisters got a raw deal - they may have been rather aloof and arrogant, but they were mislead rather than evil, so watching them all be killed off was a bit sad...

All that being said, though, I think you guys have been on the right track so far - all the things you've mentioned in your progress reports are admittedly more significant and important to restore than this.

There is a possibility to restore it?!? Wow!! That's a very pleasant surprise to me.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect you to, but that it's even being considering it is big news to me. Thank you!

After all, it's probably not a sequence many will care about, though I'd obviously like it bad. I thought the sisters got a raw deal - they may have been rather aloof and arrogant, but they were mislead rather than evil, so watching them all be killed off was a bit sad...

Razor pointed out to me which scene you were talking about and I checked it out; it looks restorable. We'll look closer at it at some point to see what can be done. :thumbsup:

TSLRP

Propaganda Minister