TSL Restoration Project: Work in Progress

So whens it ready?

Just a word of warning (not necessarily aimed at you)...

Please remember the people involved in such projects are doing this in their free time and are by no means obligated to finish the work they have started.

I play a lot of sim racing (GPL, F1-Challenge, GTP, etc) and there are a number of mod communities that have greatly enhanced the product.

On of the problems is that some people making the mods have been royally pissed off with complaints of either when something is going to come out or the quality of a final product. Some have even quit in disguist.

So don't piss on a free gift!

Thank you to everyone involved for attempting to add on content to this game.

Cheers.

So whens it ready?

Just a word of warning (not necessarily aimed at you)...

Please remember the people involved in such projects are doing this in their free time and are by no means obligated to finish the work they have started.

I play a lot of sim racing (GPL, F1-Challenge, GTP, etc) and there are a number of mod communities that have greatly enhanced the product.

On of the problems is that some people making the mods have been royally pissed off with complaints of either when something is going to come out or the quality of a final product. Some have even quit in disguist.

So don't piss on a free gift!

Thank you to everyone involved for attempting to add on content to this game.

Cheers.

Hear! Hear!

In situations like these, its only appropriate to be grateful that some people are willing to carry out such an undertaking. Just be thankful.

So...when will it be ready?

Exactly the time when it's done :thumbsup:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well, Obsidian said 'soon' before they were in a position to be sure that it would really be soon. Then they got stuck with it - howls of protest that the 'soon' stayed on their webpage, but equally loud howls of protest if they'd removed it. Not an easy position to get out of.

Aurora's crew look to be taking a more sensible approach - concrete progress updates about what they've done and are doing (to satisfy the howling masses), but wisely reticent about when the finished product can be expected.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Well why don't you make an educated guess, based on the listed work and resources available, and if you're wrong we'll all blame you?

Your blood should be bottled.  :thumbsup:

Wow, I thought *I* was getting some pretty weird compliments.

That was a plural third person pronoun, so in effect you were, too. :cool:

:p

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Aurora,

I just wanted to drop a quick line and say that I think you and your team are doing a great job. I don't know anything about moding or anything, but from what I've seen on your site, that must take alot of time and effort. And the fact that you all are taking the time to restore the game to what it should be, without getting paid or any job offers or trying to get fame or notoriety or anything of that sort, is just really cool. The game looks awesome from what I've seen so far. You PC gamers are in for a real treat. :)

Keep up the great work! :p And thanks for doing this!

Darth Jebus

Aurora,

I just wanted to drop a quick line and say that I think you and your team are doing a great job. I don't know anything about moding or anything, but from what I've seen on your site, that must take alot of time and effort. And the fact that you all are taking the time to restore the game to what it should be, without getting paid or any job offers or trying to get fame or notoriety or anything of that sort, is just really cool. The game looks awesome from what I've seen so far. You PC gamers are in for a real treat.  :lol:

I agree.

Aurora and the restoration team are spending their free time just to do us a favour. We should give them all the time they need and be grateful.

By the way .... no one wants a totally bugged hk factory just because they are getting stressed by questions like : "When it will be released? Come on, please hurry up!!!!"

I have just been playing the bit with the Council again because I was researching some of the underlying concepts (for another thread).

I noticed that there are certain passages where an inordinate amount of time goes by with one-track dialogue trees interspersed with numerous cut-scenes with the effect that I felt disconnected form the "role-play" aspect of the story.

I wonder if the restored content will break up some of these long essays where it feels more like I am watching someone else than playing an alter ego.

:blink:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I have just been playing the bit with the Council again because I was researching some of the underlying concepts (for another thread).

I noticed that there are certain passages where an inordinate amount of time goes by with one-track dialogue trees interspersed with numerous cut-scenes with the effect that I felt disconnected form the "role-play" aspect of the story.

I wonder if the restored content will break up some of these long essays where it feels more like I am watching someone else than playing an alter ego.

Although our restored content will help fill in the story a bit, I don't think there will be any major changes in how you perceive the game. There isn't enough cut content to do so, nor are we shifting established story stuff around beyond the bare necessary minimum.

We're not likely to change an existing, working dialog unless it has some obvious problems.

As far as updates go, everyone who's eager to see our progress will see a small update this weekend. Perhaps not as thrilling as the original WIP, but progress. :cool:

Although our restored content will help fill in the story a bit, I don't think there will be any major changes in how you perceive the game. There isn't enough cut content to do so, nor are we shifting established story stuff around beyond the bare necessary minimum.

We're not likely to change an existing, working dialog unless it has some obvious problems.

As far as updates go, everyone who's eager to see our progress will see a small update this weekend. Perhaps not as thrilling as the original WIP, but progress.  :cool:

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I thought it might be the case that you band of brave souls are not going to feed the masses with two fish and a loaf of bread.

Still, any fun you can generate is more fun than we would get otherwise, so I am grateful for that. Even if installing software on my computer feels more like role-play than some stretches in the game. :-"

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I am not exactly sure about anything with Aurora and the crew but logic tells me that a few people doing a project this big on their own free time will take awhile. I think you all need to slow down and give them time to work.

i am just wondering why my last post is taking so much space?????  :p

Sillly rabbit, forums are for kids. And anyway, the rabbit isn't hiding in your last post, he's gone to Washington with Mr Smith, for a wonderful life.

Now, back to the topic ...

After a perusal of your site, Aurora, I am:

1. impressed with your professionalism, dedication and achievements,

2. stunned that so much of the game is missing.

Without belittling your efforts (which are obviously heroic under the circumstances) I cannot understand how so many little scenes were not included in the game. (Effort for Obsidian, who had all the resources in place, would have been significantly less than that which you have had to make: pciking up the pieces, re-discovering what was the original story line -- detective-like -- and then designing, and then splicing sound and coding ...)

A lot of the side quests just end. The multiple ends are pruned into one.

If I had to guess I would say that a lot of the work was cancelled from the top, probably because of delay/critical development path issues (maybe it took longer than expected to code the new powers, or similar; maybe the deadline was brought forward).

Warmest regards for your (team's) efforts. ;)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT