TSL Restoration Project: Work in Progress

Kotor /TSL mods normally work fine on the xbox except when they contain new models, which are not compatible (and from what I can see, you are creating/altering some models)

Yes... The options on the table are to release slightly stripped down scenes that don't incorporate the additional models for the XBox users, or to ignore XBox considerations altogether :thumbsup:"

Just curious, how does that work -- using Xbox live to update it?

From what I've gathered, you'd need to have a "modded XBox," which means that you'd either have to buy a special chip and solder that onto your XBox board or buy an XBox with the chip already installed, and that will then allow you to FTP files from and to your XBox HDD... Not exactly as elegant as XBox Live...

Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords Restoration Project

http://www.team-gizka.org

Wow, this sounds extremely cool! My interest in playing KotOR 2 again has been rekindled.

When you release this mod, I hope you'll also do a manuel/readme, so we know what you've fixed and where and how to experience these fixes.

i would say great work guys, but...

i haven't got the game yet, lol, i was just wondering whether i should get KOTOR2 now or wait for the patch and the mod to be complete then buy the game?

Cause im struggling between buying TSL or Splinter Cell: Choas Theory

Guest Dowie100

I just got Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, its excellant!, althought the first few levels are no where near as good as the later ones

But the Lighthouse is great, you can throw this guy off the top, and if timed right he lands on anouther guards head, 50 metres below

(Dowie100 @ Apr 13 2005, 12:35 PM)

Are you adding any new models, ie Dark Side/ Injured Atton (aftter the cut torture scene?)

Razorfish

Yes, there will be an injured Atton (nicknamed "mutilated Atton"), as well as his arm...

Other than that, there may (or may not...undecided atm) be supplemental placeables for a specific scene we're working on. We're not going to focus much on adding new models, aside from what is necessary. I've been told that most custom models are not compatible with the XBox version of the game, so we may also have to resolve that issue down the road.

Wow, a "mutilated Atton" :( .... that's more than i expected.

Maybe the good game will be a fantastic game someday = restoration-release-day

I just got Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, its excellant!, althought the first few levels are no where near as good as the later ones

But the Lighthouse is great, you can throw this guy off the top, and if timed right he lands on anouther guards head, 50 metres below

I bought that ages ago (bargain bin) when I bought some other game (waiting for KotOR2). Haven't installed it yet ... just sitting in the draw, drowning in games' cases ... might have to pull it out for a play. :(

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Fixing it must be almost as fun -- or even more fun -- than playing KotOR2 in the first place!  :thumbsup:

Being a programmer I find programming more fun than a lot of things :geek:

When you release this mod, I hope you'll also do a manuel/readme, so we know what you've fixed and where and how to experience these fixes.

There will be a readme of sorts. We'll be explaining what we've done on a high level. We're not going to tell you "how to experience" the fixes; that sort of ruins the fun :p. We'll give hints though.

TSLRP

Propaganda Minister

Diagnostic result: I seem to have no personality whatsoever.

Update this weekend would be great!!

But there is one thing that keps me busy .... i have no clue about modding so please don't flame me if i am writing/asking something foolish.

There is a great difference between the US version of K2 and the EU version of K2 : the dialogue files (because of the translation).

The restoration mod is based on the US dialogue files (of course) and i am afraid that there will be some incompatibilties (?!) with some of the EU versions of the game (like french, german etc).

Why? The basis (= dialogue files) of some parts of the mod is different with each version of the game.

No misunderstanding : I don't want the restoration team to change or modify the mod to make it compatible - i just want to hear a opinion of a exp. modder. Will there be a high/medium/low risk that the mod doesn't works with the eu versions? No guarantees, of course ....

Greetings

- Illbleed

P.S. >>Dreamcast 4eVeR<< :huh:

P.S.S. >>Rest.Team ThaNx<<

The only major issue that would occur is that some dialogues would have english text and/or VO for some lines (because we modified that line). I'll explain how it works so all the non-modders out there know how it works (and can hopefully find it easier to relax ;) )

Each line of text displayed in the game has an 'StrRef' (short for 'String Reference') number. Each line in a dialogue has an StrRef. When the game needs to display the text for a particular line it looks in dialog.tlk for that line's StrRef number. dialog.tlk maps the StrRef numbers to the text. You can think of it as sort of a spreadsheet with StrRefs in one column and the actual text in the other. Find the StrRef number in column 1 and look across that row in column 2 for the text. That text is localized; this is why each version of the game has a different dialog.tlk. The numbers just map to the text written in your language.

We've only broken localization (by which we mean setting the StrRef to -1 indicating to the game that there's no entry in dailog.tlk so don't bother to look for one) in a couple places. We're going to be looking into modifying dialog.tlk so it'll work on all versions. Most of our changes have been cosmetic (ie changing 'hostiles' to 'hostilities'). A few have been new VO. In such cases each language version of the sound file will have to be constructed and given a common name (because the dialog files also reference sound file names) and a new entry will need to be added to dialog.tlk.

TSLRP

Propaganda Minister

Well thank you VERY MUCH for this perfect explanation - perfect because even i undertood it :p

Some english text lines don't bother me - btw looks like i will do a german translation of the stuff when its released.

I am going to relax now for a while .... :p

THANX again for the reply and the whole work on the restoration!!

Probably a silly question as I have no idea about programming.

Will the release of the patch this morning (New Zealand Time) have an impact on what is being done to the restoration project? Is it a matter of tweaking a few lines of code to incorporate what you have done or is it back to the old drawing board???? (Please don't let it be the latter)

Each line in a dialogue has an StrRef.  When the game needs to display the text for a particular line it looks in dialog.tlk for that line's StrRef number.  dialog.tlk maps the StrRef numbers to the text.  ...

You should be a teacher, that is a very clear and concise explanation, completely free of condescension.

The part I have highlighted leads me to comment that whomever tested the game left one of these linked modules out of sync: after the bunker and before the polar Telos confrontation the HK-50s are talking one screen faster than the dialogue is appearing. Which makes the dialogue surprisingly hard to comprehend. :p

:p

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Probably a silly question as I have no idea about programming.

Will the release of the patch this morning (New Zealand Time) have an impact on what is being done to the restoration project? Is it a matter of tweaking a few lines of code to incorporate what you have done or is it back to the old drawing board???? (Please don't let it be the latter)

We're looking into that now; we don't anticipate being back at square one. No doubt some files will have to be (re)modified.

The part I have highlighted leads me to comment that whomever tested the game left one of these linked modules out of sync: after the bunker and before the polar Telos confrontation the HK-50s are talking one screen faster than the dialogue is appearing. Which makes the dialogue surprisingly hard to comprehend. :p

We'll look into that. :p

TSLRP

Propaganda Minister

We'll look into that. :p

That seems to be fixed in the patch.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

The part I have highlighted leads me to comment that whomever tested the game left one of these linked modules out of sync: after the bunker and before the polar Telos confrontation the HK-50s are talking one screen faster than the dialogue is appearing. Which makes the dialogue surprisingly hard to comprehend. :blink:

We'll look into that. :geek:

Your blood should be bottled. :thumbsup:

That seems to be fixed in the patch.

Even better. I can't wait to check it out. ;)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT