TSL Restoration Project: Work in Progress

There are dozens of mods for Kotor 1, and pages where you can download them.  I haven't heard of any attempts by LucasArts to shut them down, although someone who was in contact with the modders could tell you more.  Past evidence suggests that this mod project is safe.

Two thoughts-

1. They are copyright focused and see this as a threat. They won't mind using tweaking sabers and things like that, but this looks like a lot like a rewrite and I'm sure someone at LA will have a problem with that. Besides, LA seems to be a real punk about 'their' property. God forbid the fans have a say...

2. They like this idea because they don't need to work as hard at making it perfect for release - after all, the fans will fix it, right - and see this as a shadow project that they can indirectly support in order to sell more copies.

So I don't know which way LA will fall. Announcing the project on Obsidian's site probably wasn't that great of an idea, but you've still got my support!!

:ph34r:

Lord Revan was most displeased with your lack of combat skill.

-Something I wish they'd put in KOTOR

Well, if LA does try to (or does) shut down the mod, they will make an angry community absolutely livid. They'll pretty much guarantee themselves a serious decline in profits and sales on other LA games. Not a good thing to do when they'll be bombarding us with Ep 3 game hyping over the next month.

I think they'll leave it be. It would be the epitome of foolishness to do otherwise.

Again, this mod team has my greatest thanks.

There are dozens of mods for Kotor 1, and pages where you can download them.  I haven't heard of any attempts by LucasArts to shut them down, although someone who was in contact with the modders could tell you more.  Past evidence suggests that this mod project is safe.

Two thoughts-

1. They are copyright focused and see this as a threat. They won't mind using tweaking sabers and things like that, but this looks like a lot like a rewrite and I'm sure someone at LA will have a problem with that. Besides, LA seems to be a real punk about 'their' property. God forbid the fans have a say...

2. They like this idea because they don't need to work as hard at making it perfect for release - after all, the fans will fix it, right - and see this as a shadow project that they can indirectly support in order to sell more copies.

So I don't know which way LA will fall. Announcing the project on Obsidian's site probably wasn't that great of an idea, but you've still got my support!!

:lol:

if this project gets shut down, im quite sure it will lead to attempts on george lucas' life. im not suggesting i would ever even consider doing such a thing! im just saying its very possible :D lucas arts has screwed over alot of people and having this project shut down would be a huge insult. thousands will be infuriated! some of who are very unstable individuals.

again, im not saying i would ever even think about hurting george! we're buddies :D

Well, if LA does try to (or does) shut down the mod, they will make an angry community absolutely livid.  They'll pretty much guarantee themselves a serious decline in profits and sales on other LA games.  Not a good thing to do when they'll be bombarding us with Ep 3 game hyping over the next month.

I doubt it. How many people even know about this mod? It's a small percentage of their market that actually follow the progress, so if they shut down the mod only a small percentage will be outraged. Not enough to seriously hamper their revenue stream.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

You guys make the mistake of presuming that LucasArts care about a small group of fans/customers. I'm pretty certain they don't.

I saw them shut down a mod for Academy because it used some models from KotOR. Sure, it's copyrighted material - but in what way does it damage LA or Bioware that a few models are used for a mod for another game? On the contrary, I'll claim that it *benefits* them - as it exposed KotOR to a crowd that may not yet have bought KotOR, but that could be tempted to do so because of such a mod...

Really, I do not understand LA's attitude towards copyright. And therefore, I doubt that your logics will apply to this matter.

Well. Maybe they are only obsessive about mods that port stuff from one game to another. But THAT, they are VERY obsessive about...

Also note that there exist no official modding tools for the KotOR games - and that in spite of Bioware having a reputation of being extremely mod friendly, even releasing modding tools before the game itself in some instances... makes you wonder.

Thats because NwN shipped with a toolkit. Nothing really to do with being mod friendly. NwN was always intended as a thing where you could make your own adventures. KOTOR was always intended to be a stand alone adventure and that was the end of it.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Well, if LA does try to (or does) shut down the mod, they will make an angry community absolutely livid.  They'll pretty much guarantee themselves a serious decline in profits and sales on other LA games.  Not a good thing to do when they'll be bombarding us with Ep 3 game hyping over the next month.

I doubt it. How many people even know about this mod? It's a small percentage of their market that actually follow the progress, so if they shut down the mod only a small percentage will be outraged. Not enough to seriously hamper their revenue stream.

Yep, call me a cynic, but the serious fanbase who follows this kind of thing, and knows the story of KotOR II's omissions and fast-tracked development is a small minority of minor consequence to the Lucasarts bottom line.

The Lucas outlook on franchise management as a whole is not one which concerns itself with serious fans, at present, nor has it ever been as far as I can tell. Hardcore fans just aren't adequately crucial to profits, really. And what did we expect the masters of the franchise to be concerned with? The majestic expansion of the Star Wars expanded universe as a multi-platform fantasy setting? Hah!

The relative success of Jar Jar Binks dolls on the children's market: now that's a serious franchise concern! Lucasarts has bigger concerns than the modding community.

2.  They like this idea because they don't need to work as hard at making it perfect for release - after all, the fans will fix it, right - and see this as a shadow project that they can indirectly support in order to sell more copies.

"Foisting the job of completing the game" on modders is never good for a developer's reputation (which can be quite important if that developer wants to stay in business), and I doubt that this is what Obsidian was trying to do. We are not "completing the game for them," but we are implementing the cut content available on the game discs to piece together a new set of endings, which we speculate to be closer to what was originally intended than what the game currently shows us. Why? Because that's what we, as players, wanted to see.

If it happens to result in positive press and more revenue for the developer and publisher, then it'll work out to everyone's benefit...well except for us, being completely sleep deprived for having worked on it :lol:

Announcing the project on Obsidian's site probably wasn't that great of an idea

We elected to post this on the OE forums first mainly because we wanted to be open about our efforts and intentions. There's nothing we're doing that requires us to go behind anyone's back, and, besides, many people on these forums expressed interest in the cut content already.

but you've still got my support!!

Thanks, we appreciate all the supportive comments :)

Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords Restoration Project

http://www.team-gizka.org

Aurora, I LOVE U SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOO MUUUUUUUUCCHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup::geek: (w00t) ;):) (w00t) :wub: :wub: (w00t) :wub: :wub: (w00t) :wub: Please don't drop this project, finish it! I want this mod ssssssssooooooooo baaaaaadlllllyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M4-78 Enhancement Project :: www.m4-78ep.deadlystream.com

banneranimatedlucasforu.gif

Discuss the M4-78EP, Sleheyron Restoration Project, KotOR: Revenge of Revan and more! Join Deadly Stream Forums today!

Knowing Aurora it would probably be with T3 :geek:

The Genoharadan still have numbers; and, without giving too much away, there are always more strong leader-type figures to be had...somewhere... o:)"

TSLRP

Propaganda Minister

Diagnostic result: I seem to have no personality whatsoever.

Some of the later posts are...disturbing.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Aurora, I LOVE U SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOO MUUUUUUUUCCHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :wub: :wub:  (w00t)  :wub: :wub:  (w00t) :wub: :wub: (w00t)  :wub: :wub: (w00t)  :wub:  Please don't drop this project, finish it!  I want this mod ssssssssooooooooo baaaaaadlllllyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOCKERY: Oh Master I love you, but I hate all you stand for. But I think that we should go press our slimy mucus covered lips together in the cargo hold.

MY PHOTORECEPTORS!

Guest Dowie100

Statement: Wait until Game magazines and news sites get a hold of this

Game being finished by Fans, Developers in Disgrace

Subtitle: Is this the end of developers actually finishing games themselves