TSL Restoration Project: Work in Progress

nice!

will it work with other language versions?

there would be some english parts in another language of k2

if i install it?

It all depends if the sound files were there in the other languages I would think. The text portion could be translated easy enough for those who know the language, but making new voice overs would be a little more difficult.

I applaud your ambition but I also hope that you are not setting a bad precedent by doing this. Feargus is probably reading this now and thinking to himself "Hmmm, it looks like the customers are willing to finish our job for us. Lets rush NWN 2 out the door unfinished with all the neccesary files on the cd's and let them finish that game for us as well."

Guest Dowie100

Damn, now I am going to have to check your site everyday, lol.

Can't wait :D

C'mon, Devs This should be a sticky topic! :blink:

nice!

will it work with other language versions?

there would be some english parts in another language of k2

if i install it?

Will it work? It should.

Will some parts be in english? So far I believe we've managed to preserve localization. Much of the (localized) dialog is there; it's just a matter of tinkering with it to make it execute in the right order (that's a gross simplification in some cases but if you want the gory details perhaps we'll post them on the website at some point :lol: ).

TSLRP

Propaganda Minister

Diagnostic result: I seem to have no personality whatsoever.

Feel the excitement, the anticipation, the fresh hope......shiver with impatience....

Great stuff...great project....great work. Sometimes dedicated fans are the ones who turn a game into something truly great.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I applaud your ambition but I also hope that you are not setting a bad precedent by doing this. Feargus is probably reading this now and thinking to himself "Hmmm, it looks like the customers are willing to finish our job for us. Lets rush NWN 2 out the door unfinished with all the neccesary files on the cd's and let them finish that game for us as well."

Aww come on, be fair. :lol: People don't become video games developers out of a sinister urge to create substandard products. They do it because they have a PASSION for games. The way business works currently might force their hand into releasing heavily cut or unfinished products, but you can bet they always go into each project with the highest of expectations. If they didn't they wouldn't be doing it. end of story.

Yeah and ya might be sayin it tongue in cheek, :p I am only being defensive cos its the industry I'm studying to get into, and trust me, nowhere have I seen evidence of such a mentality among devs, but I can speak for myself and every student on the course when i say passion and a desire to do great things is the most common trait all possess (And just for the record I am not an overexuberant 20yr old who's passionate about everything :)" I'm 30, and am quite jaded about a great many things. But this is not one of them :) ) Also , every company I have looked into, shares the same passion. its clear in everything they do. But I cannot speak for the publishers. :ph34r: I suspect your ire might apply more to some of them.. :-"

I know I was being a bit unfair but I look at it this way. If my boss gives me a job to do and a set amount of time to do it, if I feel the time is inadequate I ask for more time to do the job correctly. If the answer is no then I ask them to get someone else to do it because I don't like doing half-assed work. I realize that my standards are not everyone's but it's one thing to be ambitious, it's another to have the skills to realize that ambition.

I know I was being a bit unfair but I look at it this way. If my boss gives me a job to do and a set amount of time to do it, if I feel the time is inadequate I ask for more time to do the job correctly. If the answer is no then I ask them to get someone else to do it because I don't like doing half-assed work. I realize that my standards are not everyone's but it's one thing to be ambitious, it's another to have the skills to realize that ambition.

I don't know what your job is, but in many careers, this is true that might be an option, though generally on a smaller scale. Within obsidian, perhaps an employee migt have taken that route with their piece of work. But ehre we are talking about a developer and a publisher. Lucasarts aren't obsidian's boss, they pretty much 'own' Obsidian in regards to this project. You can bet the amount of capital obsidian invested and the amount LA invested result to vastly different percentages of the companies toal equity.

In most work environments the project would be extended if in a resonable extra period of time the goals might be achieved. In the end every major product created in the gaming industry attempts to push new boundaries. in this case the inlfuence system, and the sheer complexity of the story required to do so is mindboggling to me, I've had experience of the amount of thought and work that needs to go in to make a non linear product on a far smaller scale than this one, and its no walk in the park. Before you even get to the point of coding you need to have a clear idea on paper of every direction the storyline will go through, and need to take these factors into account. For something like KOTOR2 that would have been a mammoth task.

Had they been working in another industry perhaps, where Xmas deadlines are not seen as so critical, then their publisher might have extended a deadline. When a project takes around 2 years you try to take into account unforseen circumstances, but every now and again things become more complicated than any could have forseen. These things happen. Had Obsidian had sole control over the project, I can bet you they'd have thought long and hard, and maybe would have given it a somewhat later release date, because in the end they'd want it to be as complete and bug free as possible, but I can bet you a lot of this material that was 'cut' would still have been cut.

If their 'boss' says they can only have that period of time and they say 'get someone else to do it, cos I don't do half assed jobs'' they go bankrupt. there and then. they don't get a penny. and probably someone else does take the job and finish it, and they get to watch someone else make cash out of their hard work.

Seems to me like its very easy to sit in the peanut gallery and throw aspersions, and i don't know what you do as a career, perhaps you do work in the industry, who knows. And I'm not criticising you in general, I just think a lot of ill feeling about the results of this project would have been better served elsewhere.

And yeah the guys doing this restoration are truly deserving of praise because they are doing this out of love of the product alone, and its possible because they are have the abilty to do this, and because Bioware have been clever enough to create such a modable system. (so yeah kudos to you all)

I doubt the finished product will be what 'Obsidian intended' nor do i think the product exactly as it is now is entirley as they had hoped it would be. But lets not forge, they are restoring material Obsidian created. that Obsidian put the inital legwork into.

I wouldn't dismiss Obsidian so out of hand.

I'm not trying to take anything away from obsidian. I realize that a game of this magnitude required a lot of planning and design but obsidian should have known from the start that they could not do this in a year without hiring a whole lot of extra help. It's obvious that Obsidian wanted to put out an amazing game and that the real evil behind this games failing's is Lucasarts, plain and simple. The fact that people are willing to try to restore the cut content to the game speaks volumes for just how great the game "could" have been. It really is a shame to see what many forum members believe could have been one of the best rpg's they have ever played turned into a muddled buggy mess because of pure monetary greed on the part of the publisher. I wish the people working on this project all the best in your endeavor to restore this game's dignity. In all honesty I truly wish that you were the people working as the developers and publishers in the industry now. If that were the case this whole sorry affair probably never would have happened.

Great work guys/gals!  :D  I don't have the PC version, but if your work turns out to be as good as I hope, then it will be because of you that I buy K2 on PC.  Maybe it will be in the bargain bin.

Yeah, this is the primary reason I got the game for PC, even though I have an Xbox. Having played KotOR 1, I knew what the mod community was capable of, and that the modders were already there and ready to get to work. I couldn't cut myself off from that.

Wow - Looks like you guys are really doing this. Very cool.

I'm assuming this will be for the PC version only? - which will prolly mean I'll have to go buy the PC version!

By-the-by...but if you need any help with sound-editing/music editing and that sort of thing, I have EXTENSIVE resources and so forth in that department, won't get into it here....but if you need any help in that regard, just drop me a PM and I'll get in contact with you.