Gee, 1gig of RAM does help

I just put it in and launched our favorite memory-hog VtM:Bloodlines, and it runs flawlessly at max graphics in Downtown Los Angeles without the patch.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I'll second that I happened to increase my memory to 1GB a week after bying it. problems vanished *snaps fingers* like that

I knew it was my memory that was helping because aside from my memory, all my components are mid-low grade parts. (9600XT, Athlon 2500+). Yet I was getting better performance than rigs with better parts...aside from the memory. :ermm:

I didnt have that many problems with it before(apart from the usual bugs) with 512, but this took care of all stuttering. And Ive only got a ****ty Radeon 9700

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I have a gig of ram, pretty damn good ram, too, an nvidia 6800, and p4 3ghz.

Bloodlines is the one game I have that performs poorly. I'm talking like 5 fps.

I've got HL2...and it runs great. What's going on? :luck:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Even though more RAM does seem to improve things for the most part, I've still seen a lot of people with high end systems complaining about the slowdowns. Basically, I think Troika just did a poor job overall with the programming.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I've got HL2...and it runs great. What's going on? :luck:

You could try format c: and reinstall all your software.

Seriously, if you have the time, it's worth doing. It improved the performance of quite a few games for me. I don't pretend to understand why, except that all kinds of things obviously install themselves while you're not looking.

It also makes you think about what you have on your hard disk that you don't want to lose, and encourages good backup practice.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I've got HL2...and it runs great. What's going on? :(

Seriously, if you have the time, it's worth doing. It improved the performance of quite a few games for me. I don't pretend to understand why, except that all kinds of things obviously install themselves while you're not looking.

It also makes you think about what you have on your hard disk that you don't want to lose, and encourages good backup practice.

Oddly enough, I was just about to re-install Windows XP, though for different reasons (My god, blue-screen viruses are horrible!). Similar to formatting, since it rewrites all windows related files, but less extreme...that and I've got a good 10 gigs of stuff I want to save, and don't have the patience, or the number of cds it'd require to get it all safely stored.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Partition your harddrives and just keep a small one for your OS that way you can format and still keep your stuff.

Just reinstalling ontop of your old install doesn't remove nearly all the crap that collects in windows after a while...

Just make it big enough for the pagefile and dont forget to switch off hibernation since the hiberfil is almost as big as the pagefile.

5 gig is good size.

I've got HL2...and it runs great. What's going on? :p

Or he good...I dunno...like, GET RID of all the spyware and junk that's causing him grief. ;)

Another thing to point out, I wouldn't KNOW how well it performs on Nvidia, because I'm an ATI fanboi, but even though the game said 'runs best on Nvidia' I'm guessing it's the other way around, as the Source engine and HL2 were optimized for ATI before they passed it on to Troika.

Just make it big enough for the pagefile and dont forget to switch off hibernation since the hiberfil is almost as big as the pagefile.

5 gig is good size.

I tend to set aside 3-4 times the size of my phsyical Ram for swapfile. if possible set an entire partition aside just for this purpose, it prevents the swapfile being fragmented. use at least twice the physical ram size, unless like me you use a lot of graphics and 3d apps, then I'd say 3x minimum. I also point all my temp files away from the system drive weherever possible. one thing I hate about windows is how it hides all the junk away 2-3 levels deep, sometimes further.. I put it all on one partition, so I can get a fair idea how much junk is there in an instant

• 11 years later...

I have 16gb ram in my desktop and 8gb in my Alienware Alpha.

There's no noticable difference in "most cases" but usually the games I play are very demanding. Arkham Knight, Just Cause 3 to give a couple examples where performance was not varied due to missing/adding half the ram amount.

I recommend you get a total of 16gb of ram just for some extra headroom. 32gb or anything more is overkill for gaming so don't worry about that.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Guessing I originally played VtM:B with 768mb with an ATI Radeon 9600. Maybe?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I think mine was a 9800pro with 512mb iirc...

And now sporting a 1080ti... how times have changed. I used to be ATi only, at that time ATi was at the top lol

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Iq0M3YG.jpg

• Like 3
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling