Baldur's Gate

I have NWN, and I'm buying the expansion when I get the chance, but then I'll be at another loss-of-game (until Kotor III hopefully comes out), and I was wondering if the Baldur's Gate series was any good. Could somebody give me a basic overlay (game mechanics, basic intro to the story, etc.)?

Thanks for any help!

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

The BG series are awesome but this post really belongs in the Single-player forum.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It's overly focused on combat, boring in my opinion. Then again, I only played #1. Maybe II is better?

- compared to what? fifa 2002? :)

I present an opposing opinion I think baldurs Gate 1 and 2 offer a far better roleplaying expirience than both kotor and nwn, check em out pronto if you dont mind the graphics!

You never quite know whether to feel sorry for or envious of such people.

Aside from graphics I cant really think of anyplace that KOTOR beats BG.

One of the best things about BG is the characters are thier own people. Go too far from their alignment and they will leave you, or attack you. They also have relationships with other characters which means if you want a certain NPC you may have to take along someone else as well (unless you do something sneaky or clever, or just murder the one you dont want out of sight).

Because none of the characters are required to tell the main plot ,they are all expendable.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

"Aside from graphics I cant really think of anyplace that KOTOR beats BG."

Multiple ways to complete quests. Deeper npcs. Non combat skills.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Multiple ways to complete quests. Deeper npcs. Non combat skills.

BG has multiple ways to complete quests. Deeper NPCs... questionable.

Non combat skills, if you think that non combat skills makes it better then you can have that one :)

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Huh? I never said KOTOR was better than BG. You just asked what does KOTOR do better than BG so I answered.

"BG has multiple ways to complete quests. Deeper NPCs... questionable."

Nowhere near KOTOR. Deeper npcs? Did you even play BG? Remember, this is BG1 we're disucssing; not BG2. BG2 is a tad better than KOTOR for npcs; but BG1 is not.

Nowhere near KOTOR. Deeper npcs? Did you even play BG? Remember, this is BG1 we're disucssing; not BG2. BG2 is a tad better than KOTOR for npcs; but BG1 is not.

Outside of their main plot duties the NPCs are not that different. I always think of them as a series anyway. Unless someone specfically types BG I or BG/II.

478327[/snapback]

I'll listen to things about both BG I and II. I don't care, caus I'll probably end up getting them both.

If II is supposedly better than Kotor I in several aspects, then I'll have to check that out right away. :ph34r:

What's the basic story? Or is it a 'go around and do what you want' game? Oh, are there pre-made characters?

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

"If II is supposedly better than Kotor I in several aspects, then I'll have to check that out right away."

Play part one first for several reasons. First off, while you cna play 2 first and actually udnerstand the storyline it flows much better in order. Secondly, once you have fun with the extras provided by part 2 like graphics, faster speed, etc. you'll want to destroy BG1.

"What's the basic story? Or is it a 'go around and do what you want' game? Oh, are there pre-made characters?"

Don't want to spoil; but let's just say that the story is basically learning your character's past, and dealing with the fallout from that is part. At the start, you are an orphan lviing with your foster father and foster sister in Candlekeep,a Place of Great Learning.

There are no pre made characetrs you play as the PC; but pre made charactrs do join your journey.

Why on earth would you play II before I? My advice is to go with the Fallouts and Planescape: Torment. Far better games.

And to this Sneaky Smurf character: Since when is Fifa 2002 combat oriented?

Baldur's Gate is boring. You can't go for a walk in the park without being jumped by all sorts of silly creatures, Kobolds, gnomes etc, and you're likely to get your ass kicked until level 10 or something. The way the story is being told is boring. And it's not very good, either.

As I said, go with Fallout or Torment.

"Planescape: Torment."

Not Torment. Toprmet is good; but way overated. The BG series (and Fo series) - both of them - are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy betterrrrrrrrrrrr than PST.

What's the basic story? Or is it a 'go around and do what you want' game? Oh, are there pre-made characters?

I enjoyed the gameplay more than the story. Without giving it all away the basic premise of the story in part I is highlander. You still have a lot of freedom to wander (something that was removed from II).

Pre made as in pre-generated PC's- check.

Pre made as in NPC's with ties to the world - check. Though not in the forced way of the KOTOR series.

478327[/snapback]

Planescape Torment isn't better than the Baldur's Gate Saga...just different, it sacrifices replayabilty and flexibility for story depth.

But anyway....go forth and buy them all! And check out the huge baldur's gate modding community while you're at it.

Get the fallout games too...

All of that stuff is miles better than the blandness of NWNs.

"All of that stuff is miles better than the blandness of NWNs."

No, espicially since you want to bring in the worst mod making community ever in the IE one. Awful, awful dreck that they try to pass off as good. utter, utter crap.

Baldur's Gate I & II are great games, II not as much though, mostly because instead of a III they did this extremely crappy expansion. I've modded them both a bit, its not really my thing as I tend to just buy new games.

PS:T is a good game, IMO not quite as good, but I was a Forgotten Realms fan to begin with so I'm a bit biased. Some parts are ridiculously cheesy, but I actually like that sometimes.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Anybody who says BG is boring, doesnt know what they're talking about.

The plot of part one is incredibly detailed. I cant think of many games that come even close to it. "Cant go anywhere without being attacked" is an exaggeration. There are more scripted encounters than random. And did you say Kobolds?! They have poor AC and about 6 HP. Anybody can kill them quite easily. You dont need to be maxed on levels to go anywhere/fight anything. My Solo 1/1 Cleric/Mage killed 2 Ankhegs without taking any damage. Plus you have a choice of 27 different NPC's with a wide range of classes/alignments.

Part two is also a great game. The main plot is also very detailed, but there also a ton of side quests and NPC-specific quests. You can also gain a stronghold based on class, each providing unique quests and rewards. Between kits, classes, dual classes and multi-classes, there is a MASSIVE number of character possibilities. There is a very large number of spells, special abilities and unique items. And after battling things like Kobolds, Hobgoblins and Bandits in part one, you can now fight Vampires, Golems, and Liches. The NPC's, while fewer than last time, are more in-depth. Interacting with you, one another, and non-party members.

All in all, these are among the best games I've played.

I have NWN, and I'm buying the expansion when I get the chance, but then I'll be at another loss-of-game (until Kotor III hopefully comes out), and I was wondering if the Baldur's Gate series was any good. Could somebody give me a basic overlay (game mechanics, basic intro to the story, etc.)?

Thanks for any help!

BG is/was amazing. But it is about 7 years out of date. I tried played thro' BG again about 2003, and it was really painful. The story and stuff was still great, but the interface (especially the journal, and the pathfinding) was so poor(/old-fashioned) it was just.. *shudders*