Star Wars RPG's

I have been thinking and when k3 comes out to close the KotOR series off with the success of the series will there be another?

We all know that KotOR is the best selling Star Wars game, so i think it would make sense for GL to make another series of Star Wars RPG's based at a different place in time. They could be before the movies or after them before is proberly easier and 4000 years to play with or they could be even before KotOR. i know it is not really KotOR related but ah well i posted it now lol.

Obviously this will be a few years down the line, we all don't want another story ramming down our throats just after finishing KotOR. So on XBox 2 the nex gen of Star Wars RPG's could take place.

Views please (but don't be too harsh :blink: )

They (LA) stopped producing the X-Wing series of games, even though those were really well done (and I assume decent sellers), so I wouldn't be surprised if they stop making SW cRPGs after KOTOR3 (there might not even be a K3).

Personally, I'd rather see it taken in a completely different direction. Less emphasis on the Jedi and the Force, more emphasis on the other interesting characters in the SW universe, such as bounty hunters, starship pilots, smugglers, gamblers, pirates, criminal organizations, etc.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

i would like the KOTOR series to be an ongoing theme. All games set in same universe and since it is set 4000 years before the films the designers can do pretty much what they want in terms of storyline.

I think in future they should be set many years apart so that the events of one game does not rely on a previous game.

Both Bioware and Obsidian came from Interplay which has made many good RPGs throughtout thier history. Unfortunatly Bioware has thier own things they want to work on right now and Obsidian is doing NWN. Who knows if they would want to do another project for LA since they wont have full control over thier project. I don't think another company making a star wars RPG would do as well. If you like this game you might like some of thier past an future RPGs not based in the star wars realm. My personal favorite is forgotten realms, but Bioware has Dragon age/Jade Epire comoing out soon and Obsidian has NWN2 which should be better due to not working under LA for that game.

They (LA) stopped producing the X-Wing series of games, even though those were really well done (and I assume decent sellers), so I wouldn't be surprised if they stop making SW cRPGs after KOTOR3 (there might not even be a K3).

Personally, I'd rather see it taken in a completely different direction.  Less emphasis on the Jedi and the Force, more emphasis on the other interesting characters in the SW universe, such as bounty hunters, starship pilots, smugglers, gamblers, pirates, criminal organizations, etc.

That's why they made Star Wars galaxies....

Knights of the Old republic are about the Jedi Knights, and I like that stuff better anyways, as do the majority of star wars fans, I think I have room to say, are fans of the jedi and lightsabers lol. Let's hope. But from what I heard Star Wars galaxies sucks, so they should try another one, maybe just an rpg instead of online one, but I say leave the KOTOR series on its own and leave it. because it's very cool. I think it would be cool to be in training for awhile, like the first half of the game, and be in the academy and etc. and go in depth with either the jedi or the sith...and then build a story around that....

hopefully there will be a K3

Personally, I'd rather see it taken in a completely different direction.  Less emphasis on the Jedi and the Force, more emphasis on the other interesting characters in the SW universe, such as bounty hunters, starship pilots, smugglers, gamblers, pirates, criminal organizations, etc.

Knights of the Old republic are about the Jedi Knights, and I like that stuff better anyways, as do the majority of star wars fans, I think I have room to say, are fans of the jedi and lightsabers lol. Let's hope. But from what I heard Star Wars galaxies sucks, so they should try another one, maybe just an rpg instead of online one, but I say leave the KOTOR series on its own and leave it. because it's very cool. I think it would be cool to be in training for awhile, like the first half of the game, and be in the academy and etc. and go in depth with either the jedi or the sith...and then build a story around that....

hopefully there will be a K3

Know why a lot of people don't like star wars galaxies? Because it's really hard to be a Jedi. Lets face it it's no fun being a bounty hunter or whatever you choose and watching somone lucky person who unlocked their force slot go around killing everyone with their lightsaber. Besides it's just isn't that much fun being the average character in the starwars universe. If that is what they wanted then they shouldn't have let people become Jedi's in the first place.

Uh? No. Because I didn't see anywhere in my reply where I said I wanted to play a MMORPG or a game without an engrossing story. Galaxies is a MMORPG and has no story, thus using that as an example is a bad one.

I thought it was clear, but if not, then I should add that I wanted the ELEMENTS from KOTOR (ie. story, character interaction, etc.) but with the changes I mentioned. I didn't state that I want to play online with a bunch of teenagers or play as some character who sets up a merchant shop as the entire basis for my character. I mentioned those character classes as examples of which types of classes rather than the protagonist being a Jedi.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Absolutely agree....after KOTOR III, let's take a break from the uber Force users and have story-driven RPGs for the bounty hunters, mercenaries and such out there. Absolutely right.

As much as I want tos ee a K3, I do NOT want to see LA handcuff a developer with a 12 month dev cycle like they did with K2.

:p

12 months is more than enough to make an expansion pack....

and let face it that's all KotOR II was. :wub:

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman.

As much as I want tos ee a K3, I do NOT want to see LA handcuff a developer with a 12 month dev cycle like they did with K2.

:)

12 months is more than enough to make an expansion pack....

and let face it that's all KotOR II was. :ermm:

That's about all you can make within 12 months for anything with any depth is an expansion pack, or a severely unfinished game. Someone tried to point out that EA pushes out a yearly sports game, but let's face it the EA sports games are little more than an engine upgrade.

Absolutely agree....after KOTOR III, let's take a break from the uber Force users and have story-driven RPGs for the bounty hunters, mercenaries and such out there.  Absolutely right.

It's just a pipe dream we have though. Lucasarts knows that being a Jedi and using the Force is what sells these games to the mass market. Unfortunately, sculpting a story around non-Force users probably won't meet with approval from those in the finance and sales projections department.

Uh? No. Because I didn't see anywhere in my reply where I said I wanted to play a MMORPG or a game without an engrossing story. Galaxies is a MMORPG and has no story, thus using that as an example is a bad one.

I thought it was clear, but if not, then I should add that I wanted the ELEMENTS from KOTOR (ie. story, character interaction, etc.) but with the changes I mentioned. I didn't state that I want to play online with a bunch of teenagers or play as some character who sets up a merchant shop as the entire basis for my character. I mentioned those character classes as examples of which types of classes rather than the protagonist being a Jedi.

Don't mean to be harsh but maybe u dont know how to read....further on in that paragraph that u failed to include in ur reply, I said that it shouldnt be an online rpg but one like kotor, but not kotor series...

thank you come again

Don't mean to be harsh but maybe u dont know how to read....further on in that paragraph that u failed to include in ur reply, I said that it shouldnt be an online rpg but one like kotor, but not kotor series...

thank you come again

edit: nevermind, you didn't. But I figured out why I quoted only that first part. The fact you mentioned Galaxies at all, when that wasn't what I wanted.

Your first sentence makes it sound like "go play Galaxies if you want that style of game", when Galaxies is the furthest thing from how I want a game to be

I don't know what to think about the idea of Star Wars rpgs.

The last games was insanely easy, the one before it, pretty damn easy. The Rampant leveling after a while made me livid. One concept of an rpg is suppose to be the feeling of accomplishment you get in achieving levels, thats sort of hard to do when you get 30 levels in about 35 hrs. of gameplay. I know I know think of the children, and the casual rpgers, but I think alot of them might even log the same complaints.

One positive thing, as a Star Wars fan, I liked the niche that the Kotor series has found. Its far enough away form any of the movies, so that none of the events will be affected one way or another, and they can do whatever to EU content, the fact is you can only make that stuff better, not worse. I would really hate if every idiots idea of the "Knights of the New Republic" idea came to any sort of realization. Its plain and simply a bad idea and I'd have to kill many Devs if Kyle Katarn, or Corran Horn made their way into any future game.

I just really hope that Obsidian didn't kill the Kotor series with this release though

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

It's just a pipe dream we have though.  Lucasarts knows that being a Jedi and using the Force is what sells these games to the mass market.  Unfortunately, sculpting a story around non-Force users probably won't meet with approval from those in the finance and sales projections department.

True, but then they could still incorporate the Force. I remember SWG players (when it first came out) talking about how it was impossible to tell whether your character was ever going to be able to go Force Sensitive. There were certain things you could do but you could only be sure when it actually happened.

They could that. Your character might become aware of the Force at 5th level, 9th level, 15th level, etc and you would have to burn a bunch of feat slots to realize any real benefit from it.

I don't know, could work.

I don't know what I want anymore... A couple of years ago I wanted an RPG set in the time of the Ancient Sith and Jedi, and (like a week later, too) I saw Kotor I announced. I was happy for a while, but I don't know what I want after the NECESSARY (I WANT IT!) Kotor III...

Seriously, if LA doesn't do a Kotor III, then I'll have VERY LITTLE reason to buy anything they make... :ph34r:

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

True, but then they could still incorporate the Force.  I remember SWG players (when it first came out) talking about how it was impossible to tell whether your character was ever going to be able to go Force Sensitive.  There were certain things you could do but you could only be sure when it actually happened.

They could that.  Your character might become aware of the Force at 5th level, 9th level, 15th level, etc and you would have to burn a bunch of feat slots to realize any real benefit from it. 

I don't know, could work.

The only way I see them incorporating it is if they gave you (the player) the option of becoming a Jedi or remaining your core class. That might make writing a cohesive story quite tricky since you'd have to take into account possibilities for both Force user PCs and non-Force user PCs, but that's probably the only way a game like that would be made.

I don't know what I want anymore... A couple of years ago I wanted an RPG set in the time of the Ancient Sith and Jedi, and (like a week later, too) I saw Kotor I announced. I was happy for a while, but I don't know what I want after the NECESSARY (I WANT IT!) Kotor III...

Seriously, if LA doesn't do a Kotor III, then I'll have VERY LITTLE reason to buy anything they make... :ph34r:

Amen

Dunno about that. I enjoyed Mercenaries, and I'm probably going to play Republic Commando. The only recent release of theirs I wasn't too thrilled with was Battlefront.

Oh yeah, and in case it wasn't apparent from my posts, I don't intend on playing SW:Galaxies. :D

Know why a lot of people don't like star wars galaxies?  Because it's really hard to be a Jedi.  Lets face it it's no fun being a bounty hunter or whatever you choose and watching somone lucky person who unlocked their force slot go around killing everyone with their lightsaber.  Besides it's just isn't that much fun being the average character in the starwars universe.  If that is what they wanted then they shouldn't have let people become Jedi's in the first place.

Thats why the concept of an MP SW RPG is inherently flawed.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Indeed. The only way I could see it work is have it set in a future time where Jedi/Sith are abundant.

To the person who said they were suprized you have to pay 10 bucks it's a MMORPG. Basically they keep patching and updating which is what you are paying for. You are also paying for the server maintenance and other expenses.