Short List of Good Story-Driven RPGs?

thanks for the suggestions.  Of course, there is also the Elder Scroll series.  It looks like Oblivion is going to be pretty good.  But I don't know if ES games count since they have no real end.  (They are in their own category, I guess)

If you want lots of dialogue, stay away from TES. They may have their high points, but dialogue is not it. I hear this will change in Oblivion though, but that may not even get released this year, so only time will tell.

Also, what about the new remake of Pirates?

I really enjoyed the old Pirates.

If you enjoyed the original pirates, you'll probably like the new one. It's exactly the same game, only with better graphics. And (I guess) better sounds. Maybe an additional mini-game, but it's basically all the same.

thanks for the suggestions.  Of course, there is also the Elder Scroll series.  It looks like Oblivion is going to be pretty good.  But I don't know if ES games count since they have no real end.  (They are in their own category, I guess)

What about the Myst series?

Morrowind has a great story, but the dialogue and characterisation aren't as strong as Kotor. Oblivion won't be out for a while.

I've only played the first Myst, many years ago, but it was very puzzle-driven rather than story- or dialogue-driven. There are much better adventures out there.

Pirates! barely has a story to speak of. I enjoyed it, but it didn't have much replay value.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Hate to break this to you buddy... But Pirates! is not a storydriven RPG. :p

If you liked the original, you'll like the new one as well...

It's basicly the same game with some "candy graphics" .

Good fun for a while...

But no longivety.

86/100, in small doses. :wub:

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman.

Arcanum, BL, NWN, Bg series, PST, and FO series are my top 10 heavy dialogue story focused game. Whether you like each of these individual games; they all have what you seek for. NWN is definitely the weakest amongst them story wise though BL and PST duke it out for crappiest game play amongst them while Arcanum and BL duel for some of the most Annoying Little Things.

P.S. I forgot to mention KOTOR series; but that should be a given on these baords. They are good stories focused games but their combat is the easiest combat I've seen. Only BL and PST comes close but even BL has some actual challenging battles (though, as I stated above, it's combat is poor).

P.S.S. Anyone who thinks NWN is a Diablo clone needs help. All I have to ask is how can a game with actual dialogue skills and multiple ways to solve quests even be considered a clone of Diablo? BL, game play wsie, is much closer to Diablo than NWN can be since BL is full fledge RT combat while NWN is not.

R00fles!

That is all. :wub:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

P.S.S. Anyone who thinks NWN is a Diablo clone needs help. All I have to ask is how can a game with actual dialogue skills and multiple ways to solve questions even be considered a clone of Diablo? BL, game play wsie, is much closer to Diablo than NWN can be since BL is full fledge RT combat while NWN is not.

I guess you might say I am "hardcore" in this area. I believe one of KOTOR's biggest strengths is that it used TURN-BASED combat. True, it was a well-disguised turn-based system but turn-based nonetheless. With a better AI, it would have really rocked, IMO.

I do, however, like the idea of being able to go RT with boss battles (and only boss battles).

I guess you might say I am "hardcore" in this area.  I believe one of KOTOR's biggest strengths is that it used TURN-BASED combat.  True, it was a well-disguised turn-based system but turn-based nonetheless. 

Oh! Oh! Go over the RPG Codex and say that! It'll be good times.

"I believe one of KOTOR's biggest strengths is that it used TURN-BASED combat."

Not quite. It's not quite turn base; not quite real time. It's Rt w/pause along with a 6 second rule. It's also not knew as NWN, and the IE games have the same exact basic combat system yet both NWN and the IE games have much better combat (well.. except for PST for some reason...)

"Oh! Oh! Go over the RPG Codex and say that! It'll be good times."

Always.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

P.S.S. Anyone who thinks NWN is a Diablo clone needs help. All I have to ask is how can a game with actual dialogue skills and multiple ways to solve questions even be considered a clone of Diablo? BL, game play wsie, is much closer to Diablo than NWN can be since BL is full fledge RT combat while NWN is not.

R00fles!

That is all. :thumbsup:

Dungeon Quest was the closest thing to a Diablo clone I ever played.

Don't get me wrong though I loved diablo

"I believe one of KOTOR's biggest strengths is that it used TURN-BASED combat."

Not quite. It's not quite turn base; not quite real time.  It's Rt w/pause along with a 6 second rule. It's also not knew as NWN, and the IE games have the same exact basic combat system yet both NWN and the IE games have much better combat (well.. except for PST for some reason...)

Well, I would agree that it is a *hybrid* turn-based as opposed to TRUE turn-based. I recently started playing the LOTOR Third Age on Xbox and that is TRUE TURN-BASED and it is rather fun (though, it is not really an RPG as there is no dialogue other than cut-screens).

The hybrid turn-based is good, especially with the d20 system since you can interject feats (as in real time) but you don't have to micromanage. The only thing that is missing in KOTOR's combat is a decent AI.

KOTOR *is* turn-based, you noobs. Your characters take turn as they attack its enemy. If that's not the definition of turn-based, I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS.

I guess you don't know what turn-based is, then. :lol:

Same basic system as BG -- and the BG manual gets it right. Each character is on an individual round...but that's not the same as "turn-based".

Anachronox.

Great game, highly underrated. You'll like it Plano. It has a great story, quirky companions which include worlds...literally. heh.

The combat is turn based as well.

The setting is space and the movement controls are similar to KotOR with the over the shoulder view in a 3D envirnonment.

The graphics will probably look dated, but they're still pretty to my eyes.

It dosnt technically qualify as turn based because no one is going to stand around and wait for you to take your turn. Even if it does use a turn based mechanic which limits just what you can do in any given period of time.

The most logical definition is ATB (like most of the FF games). Your limited by a turn structure,you have to wait for your next turn to come up before you can take a new action but the game will continue whether or not you take an action or not.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Well, I would agree that it is a *hybrid* turn-based as opposed to TRUE turn-based.  I recently started playing the LOTOR Third Age on Xbox and that is TRUE TURN-BASED and it is rather fun (though, it is not really an RPG as there is no dialogue other than cut-screens).

Third Age is basically what Square/Squenix have been doing for 10 years. If you liked Third Age buy a PS2 right now and play the FF games. Especially FFX which is the base which Third Age was constructed from. The bad thing about Third Age was they used too many voiced over clips and didnt tell the story as well as they could have.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Geez, have we been playing the same game? Your character attacks, waits for the other NPCs to attack, then retaliates. All in sequential order. And they all wait each others' turn, in true turn-based fashion. HELLOOOO??? That's turn-based.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)