The Pope is dying

Nur Ab Sal

You can't prove that a negative that doesn't exist doesn't exist, unless of course you assume that it does exist (which would negate the point). As such, atheism is a belief as much as any religion is.

In case you haven't guessed it yet, I'm an agnostic.

You can't prove that a negative that doesn't exist doesn't exist, unless of course you assume that it does exist (which would negate the point). As such, atheism is a belief as much as any religion is.

Gold.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Whats agnostic?

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Whats agnostic?

The philosophical standing that you can neither prove nor disprove the existence of a 'God', only what is physical may be proved to be true.

it comes from thwe word 'gnostic' from the greek 'gnosis' basically meaning the pursuit of things spiritual. a-gnostic just like a-theist a-moral. lacking any pursuit of spiritual things

*mumbles* unless you're catholic. then the meaning of life is to feel guilty

Nothing wrong with a bit of guilt. After all, isn't it guilt that tell us when we have done something wrong? However, what some people aren't getting here (at least IMO), is that the guilt itself does not serve a purpose. It is an incentive to consider the action and decide what should've been done instead (if anything). Simply carrying the guilt around will accomplish nothing. In itself, guilt is a wasted emotion.

Whats agnostic?

In this particular context (i.e. me), it means I neither believe nor disbelieve in God. There is a philosophy behind it as well but I don't feel it's necessary to explain it.

I agree with Nur, also maybe except for the George Lucas part. :)

If I were to believe in any of these religions, I'd probably go with Old Norse mythology, those guys are having a blast in Valhalla, drinking and fighting for all eternity! :blink:

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

About Agnosticism & Agnostics

It seems like a fairly well-informed site on the topic. I haven't read it all so I can't say for sure, but what I've read so far seems okay. At least none of it was some overzealous christian declare that agnostics are all atheists and will therefore burn in hell (there are sites like that, though that's hardly a surprise given some of the other sites that exists).

I disbelieve in God after all those evil that triumphs on Earth - holocaust, family violence and things independent from human wisdom and power like diseases.

I simply think that life is far more complicated that biblical fairy tales. But I must say that from logical point of view agnosticism is most correct. It just left all spiritual sphere as an open thing that maybe some day will be undestood.More important to me is to destroy my selfishness and greed instead of tapping into empty rituals. There are millions of believers who are evil, who drink and beat their wives and millions of nonbelivers that are good, caring and compassionate people (like my parents). I shall never believe that the second ones will go to hell. It just doesn't make sense.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

About Agnosticism & Agnostics

It seems like a fairly well-informed site on the topic. I haven't read it all so I can't say for sure, but what I've read so far seems okay. At least none of it was some overzealous christian declare that agnostics are all atheists and will therefore burn in hell (there are sites like that, though that's hardly a surprise given some of the other sites that exists).

Some who are atheist or agnostic dislike the labels, partly because they arouse hostility among some theists, and partly because it's odd to define yourself by what you don't believe, rather than what you do .

I'm a humanist, more accurately a secular humanist. You can find that on Wikipedia, too, I think. It just gets more and more complicated, doesn't it?

Also, it's sad to see the Pope die. But I'm glad that he was able to die the death he wished, in that he was lucid at the end, and I suppose his suffering had religious meaning for him.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

That there is evil in the world is in itself no reason to disbelieve in a god. Perhaps a good god, but even that is questionable. Apart from my personal belief that you need evil in the world to have good, we don't know for what reason there is evil or what the grand plan is.

As for organized religion, it does serve a purpose. It brings people together and provide a social structure and incentive to abide by the laws for the common good. Of course, with that, you also get people who abide by laws that are quite possibly bad. Take the crusades, for example. The crusades had political and economical reasons of course. One could argue that it would've happened even without the church, but merely the fact that it could be used as an excuse is enough for me.

Whether religious structures ultimately is good or bad is a judgement call.

Do you think all christians are wrong from the very start? when adam picked the apple from the tree to get the knowledge of the gods not knowing that it wont work on him? that they (christians) need to spit the apple back out and stop thinking they know everything? just current thoughts. Comments please??? :shifty:

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

It just doesn't make sense.

Just to play devil's advocate here, religious proponents don't usually claim that their postulates make sense. If they did, they would leave the door open for logic based attacks that would tear their doctrines to pieces. Instead, they rely on Faith, Divine Virtue, or any other of their rhetorical gimmicks. It doesn't have to make sense, you have either been granted the divine boon that is Faith, or you haven't.

So claiming that "it doesn't make sense" isn't enough. Alas, nothing is.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I simply believe that everyone has right to do with his life whatever he wants as long as he doesn't hurt someone else. And christians have long history of persecution, inqusition and forceful propaganda. Instead of improving themselves they were slaughtering those who weren't eager enough to tapp into their fanaticism. This apply to catholics and protestants as well (who burned much more "witches" than catholics did)

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

I simply believe that everyone has right to do with his life whatever he wants as long as he doesn't hurt someone else. And christians have long history of persecution, inqusition and forceful propaganda. Instead of improving themselves they were slaughtering those who weren't eager enough to tapp into their fanaticism. This apply to catholics and protestants as well (who burned much more "witches" than catholics did)

Actually that can be applied to almost any organized religion. <_<

Do you think all christians are wrong from the very start? when adam picked the apple from the tree to get the knowledge of the gods not knowing that it wont work on him? that they (christians) need to spit the apple back out and stop thinking they know everything? just current thoughts. Comments please??? :shifty:

My main problem with christianity is it's view of women .. they are the source of all sins, every bad thing leads back to women .. Eva tempted Adam with the apple, so mans ultimate sin and the sin we pay for to this day, taking the apple and gaining wisdom of good and evil, was womens doing .. so mankind suffers because of women .. Sexuality and temptation is considered a bad thing, so when men desire women, they are automatically a source of evil .. etc etc .. Lilith wanted to share power with Adam, she wanted to decide things, but was refused by both God and Adam and was ultimately banished like Cain for her desires and became a Demon ..

I like the idea of the divine feminine .. in old pagan religions an orgams was considered the ultimate meditation.. as the mind is cleared of all thoughts and we reach a higher plane! we should worship or sexuality and regard sex as the ultimate expression of human creation! instead of feeling ashamed of our desires!

Fortune favors the bald.

in old pagan religions an orgams was considered the ultimate meditation.. as the mind is cleared of all thoughts and we reach a higher plane!

Sounds like a... taxing... way of meditating.

^ so what you're saying is that most of the world's woes are because of male stupidity?  :p

Edit: Oops that was to Rosbjerg

well I'm sure females have played their part as well .. but there's no denying that most of the bad things that have happened were because of male stupidity and pride!

If all the bad men of history were getting their share .. this would have been a utopia long ago!

my religion is women .. treat them like a godess and you will get all the happiness you need for a lifetime! :shifty:

Fortune favors the bald.