Should the ending have been at Dantooine?

I just finished playing through KotOR 2 again, this time as a dark side character. And, like in the LS game, lots of things are left unresolved at the end. However, when I was playing through it and I got to the end of Dantooine part 2, I began to wonder if the game wouldn't be better if it ended when Kreia leaves you unconcious on the floor of the academy. As climaxes go, it's a pretty big one. Also, Kreia's speech at that point has a definite air of finality about it, and if you are seemingly dead, it gives a much better in-game reason for plotlines not being resolved, as well as giving a fairly good point to pick up from in KotOR 3 (for example, you don't die, but Kreia walls you in, and several months later, scavengers excavating the ruins find your unconcious body sustained for all this time by the force). For the LS game, Atris, rather than Kreia could have finished off the Jedi council, with a confrontation with her as Darth Traya at this point, resulting in the academy collapsing around you.

Perhaps most importantly, since the effects of the rush to release aren't so apparent until after Dantooine part 2, it would make the game seem more complete, despite the fact that more would have been cut, as well as leaving at least two Sith Lords intact for the third game where they could be fleshed out properly. So, would the game have been better off for an ending at Dantooine?

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I began to wonder if the game wouldn't be better if it ended when Kreia leaves you unconcious on the floor of the academy

I think that'd leave an even bigger gap then what has been left already. (and what about Nihilus, Sion and stuff?)

Atris, rather than Kreia could have finished off the Jedi council, with a confrontation with her as Darth Traya at this point, resulting in the academy collapsing around you.

I'm all for Atris having a bigger role but I don't see how or why she would want to finish off the Jedi council. She may not be a Jedi but she's not a Sith either. If you want a more complete game, it would've been far easier to just have you rally the Jedi together, meet/save Atris, fight Nihilus, fight Sion, fight Kreia, and so on and on, and keeping the other mastesrs "busy" is not too hard.

What plotline exactly are you trying to stop from being introduced - obviously something to do with Malachor.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

I began to wonder if the game wouldn't be better if it ended when Kreia leaves you unconcious on the floor of the academy

I think that'd leave an even bigger gap then what has been left already. (and what about Nihilus, Sion and stuff?)

Well, like I said, that would leave them available for the next game, and they'd actually be able to make Nihilus the central bad guy you'd expect of the guy front and centre on the box.

Atris, rather than Kreia could have finished off the Jedi council, with a confrontation with her as Darth Traya at this point, resulting in the academy collapsing around you.

I'm all for Atris having a bigger role but I don't see how or why she would want to finish off the Jedi council. She may not be a Jedi but she's not a Sith either. If you want a more complete game, it would've been far easier to just have you rally the Jedi together, meet/save Atris, fight Nihilus, fight Sion, fight Kreia, and so on and on, and keeping the other mastesrs "busy" is not too hard.

What plotline exactly are you trying to stop from being introduced - obviously something to do with Malachor.

With regard to Atris, I've read on these forums that in the original plan she was meant to become Darth Traya if you were a LS character. I was just suggesting something to add that back in.

I'm not trying to stop a plotline from being introduced (though some wouldn't be if Malachor wasn't present), what I'm trying to provide is an ingame reason for why the plotlines aren't resolved. As it is, things like the Droid factory (and subsequently, the thing with G0-T0 and remote on Malachor) aren't resolved, and there is no apparent reason for them not to be resolved. With this alternative ending on Dantooine, there is a reason: you're dead or trapped.

Unlike the game's actual ending, it might be able to achieve an actual ESB-style unresolved ending. Though some plot threads would still be left open, the finality of the ending (all the Jedi have been wiped out, the Exile has been left for dead on the floor of the Academy) would leave people wondering what would happen with regards to those plotlines, rather than what exactly had just happened at the end of the game (as I and many others felt about Malachor).

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I have to agree that the dark side ending at least, would have been much better at Dantooine. When I first got there, I did wonder if the game ended there. But then it continued, and the final parts of the game turned out to be quite weak and obviously rushed.

If it ended at Dantooine it would have had much more impact than the actual ending which is just too confusing. Then again, the ending would have probably been better than both of these if the game had spent a little longer in development.

Ending it on Dantooine would've been too sudden and remember you'd have party members who I'd assume would look for you. Yes, you could just say Kreia killed them all....

I use to give big rants about the plot - sometimes I still do cos I do have a preferred ending in my head, but for the most part I just think of K2 as "just another Matrix", which is not entirely a bad thing since most of the game is good, and the "sweep" through Trayas at least gives *some* good action at the end.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)