Decided to not buy the game.

Hmm. Ok, you got me there. That's what I get for trying to appear pompous in a language that is not native to me.

You're to be commended with how well you wield the language then, if not for what you do with it.

Nope. I didn't admit his underlying point actually stands. I admitted that it might stand, from your far-fetched perspective, or whatever. I didn't wish deviate from the issue by discussing that issue at that particular moment, and that's why once more, I chose my words carefully.

You seem to have a barracks-lawyer notion that you can evade anything through careful choice of verbiage. A real lawyer would tell you what a dangerous notion that is. If I stand in a court and say, "You honor, I said that the world would be a better place if he were out of it. I never said I wanted him dead," I'd get just as convicted.

In fact, there are very few countries that would honor your notion of careful wording even in contract law. Correct wording makes a contract more likely to stand up in court, but it doesn't guarantee it nearly so much as evidence of a clear understanding bewteen parties. Trust me, I've negotiated some contracts, and I know more than a little about this.

On an informal message board, your insistence on "proving," "law" and "careful wording" just seems odd and misguided. Take your insistence that your name was chosen at random. Nobody in their right mind would believe you -- and if you were in court, for some insane reason, defending yourself, declaring, "Your honor, I never knew that was a common transposition of numbers for an obnoxious kiddie title," well, you'd get yourself nicely convicted.

Like I said, it's an odd sort of barracks-lawyer thing you have going here. You're obviously not a lawyer, and yet you use and abuse some amateur lawyerly notions. Strange.

Someone who mixes, takes out of context, or purposefully makes malicious (and erroneous) interpretations is twisting. And if that someone also uses rhetoric to hide personal attacks, he is being surreptitious.

You keep flattering me, I'm going to have to send you red roses and some chocolates, you big silly hunk of man!

You have my permission to use it as a siggy.

I don't really think I need your permission, lad. Everything on these boards is property of Obsidian, or haven't you read the terms of service, careful-wording-boy?

Can you prove I chose my username for that particular reason? Didn't think so.

Here you go with the "proving" thing again. Where did you get this notion? It isn't necessary in a court of law, and it certainly isn't necessary here. SOmething that is obvious or self-evident requires no proof. Hm, perhaps you're taking the notion from math, where formal proofs are required for theories. Don't know. Or maybe something's lost in translation?

So? It disarmed your entire argument, and you admitted yourself that I was right. What are you trying to prove? I'm not as sneaky as you are, I tell what I want to tell plain and bluntly. Don't try to find second meanings in my posts.

Again, everything hinges on this idea you have that you can deny the obvious by selecting your words carefully. So long as you never admit that "1337" means "leet," you win, right? Sorry, lad, it doesn't work that way in any real-life situation, much less on a silly little forum for a videogame maker. And without that thin fig-leaf of protection, your whole argument crumbles into tasty goodness ...

Read it through again, take a glass of hot milk with a drop of honey, and call me in the morning.

Enjoyed the milk. Honey was a good idea -- thanks! As for your ramble about attention-whoring, nope, still doesn't make any sense. I'm sure you thought it was clever and well-phrased, but something's just not happening there. Something like logic and continuous thought.

Really, is this your concept of baiting the troll? Discussing rhetoric and trying to make you fall for fallacies isn't quite my idea of "fun".

That's entirely your problem. I'm having a hoot, and if I didn't have to leave the 'puter, I'd keep it up just to see which would happen first: (a) thread gets locked, or (b) you get tired.

If you're not having fun, what on earth are you doing responding to me? Yes, I'm blatantly troll-baiting. I said as much, every post. As for me, hey, I'm having the time of my night. You're tons of fun to debate. I can't imagine you'd put this much effort into responding if you're not having a good time.

Now that is twisted.

To "Too Leet" and Nur ab Sal: I hate to be an annoying, rules quoting, loser. But irregardless of your own personal feelings about your language and disposition towards others on these forums I feel that I should spout some rules at you:

Harassment: We ask that the users of this board treat one another with respect, even when opinions differ. Personal attacks that are intended to cause unwanted attention, embarrassment, or harm will not be tolerated. In addition, Obsidian does not tolerate disrespectful and/or slanderous posts about its competitors, developers and publishers. Such posts will be subject to editing or deleting, with its posters censured or banned.
Objectionable Content: The use of abusive, vulgar or profane language, even if hidden through the use of symbols or other characters is not tolerated. Intentionally posting workarounds to our language filters are prohibited. Posts may be edited or deleted at any time by the moderation team, and depending on the severity and frequency of said posts, the poster may be censured or banned.

and lastly...

Trolling: Trolling is defined as negatively-charged, disruptive, inaccurate, inflammatory and/or outrageous posting behavior, often meant only to insult, disrespect or hurt others. Trolls (users who post in this fashion) will be subject to immediate censure or banning. Obsidian wishes to maintain a positive, respectful community; those seeking to hurt or damage our community are not welcome here and are subject to censure or banning.

Numberman and Nur, what is the reason that you two have become such radical lately? Is it the anger waiting for the patch or what?

They had a short but torrid love affair, but it ended after Nur Ad Surd wouldn't give him a reach around.

It happens.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

To "Too Leet" and Nur ab Sal: I hate to be an annoying, rules quoting, loser. But irregardless of your own personal feelings about your language and disposition towards others on these forums I feel that I should spout some rules at you:

Harassment...

Objectionable Content...

Trolling...

woooooosssshhhhh

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

woooooosssshhhhh

vvvvvvvvvvrrrrrrroooooommm

Err...wait...did you mean that my post was going down the toilet, that I missed the whole point of the conversation, that it went over your head, or that we sould all make airplane noises now?

(i'm all for that last one >_< )

woooooosssshhhhh

vvvvvvvvvvrrrrrrroooooommm

Err...wait...did you mean that my post was going down the toilet, that I missed the whole point of the conversation, that it went over your head, or that we sould all make airplane noises now?

(i'm all for that last one :x )

Airplane noises would be fun, but I was more for the second one. The point was, that numberman and folks don't need preaching. Both sides agree on some level that there's no end to the flaming until the mods lock the thread, and are quite simply; having fun. No-one's exactly serious here.

whaaooooommmm :lol:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Maybe there should be a special Troll Forum.  People could go there and feed the trolls, watch them fight/mate/make noises, you know, as a form of entertainment, when civilized discussion gets boring.

Heh, I've actually thought about that too. Of course it'd have to be heavily moderated, so no topics get derailed and start becoming constructive, and people trying to calm the trolls down would have to be warned/banned.

It's always entertaining watching arguments on message boards. What experience has shown is that the argument will continue indefinately because neither side will ever admit to being wrong. I have witnessed arguments where members have had facts contradicting them thrown in their face and they still refuse to admit defeat or admit that they were wrong. Arguing over the internet is so pointless and idiotic it makes me wonder about the mentality of the offenders, especially when they appear to be intelligent but continue to act like 3 year olds who found their GI Joe with the kung-fu grip broken and are determined to take their angst out on someone.

... We haven't even got to one party accusing the other of being Nazis yet. We still have a long way to go ...

:ermm:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It's always entertaining watching arguments on message boards. What experience has shown is that the argument will continue indefinately because neither side will ever admit to being wrong. I have witnessed arguments where members have had facts contradicting them thrown in their face and they still refuse to admit defeat or admit that they were wrong. Arguing over the internet is so pointless and idiotic it makes me wonder about the mentality of the offenders, especially when they appear to be intelligent but continue to act like 3 year olds who found their GI Joe with the kung-fu grip broken and are determined to take their angst out on someone.

... We haven't even got to one party accusing the other of being Nazis yet. We still have a long way to go ...

;)

On that note.... some of you may enjoy this

not for the easily offended. then again if you read this far through the thread you can't be :)

How to win any argument over the internet

:-"

it SOUNDS like a fabulous game. i wish i could give you an opinion, but i have yet to be able to play it. two months, it's been sitting on my shelf, collecting dust while OE and LA keep telling us a patch is emminent. right. oh, and don't buy that if you have a decent comp it will work fine. i have a comp that is less than six months old and it won't run. if you have an x-box it might be worth it, but not on PC.

Why some people will react with insults to my posting and some won't? I don't really know and I sure as hell don't care. I always answer the same to this kind of argument: there is the ignore function in case you don't like the content or tone of my posts.  I am but a simple software pirate and an FPS griefer, please leave me to ph14m3 h4p!355 n00b5 !n p34c3.

There man, I fixed part of your post. Don't want you misrepresented. :p

I'm in the middle of KOTOR and KOTOR 2 looked like a no brainer because of all the fun I'm having.

But after reading reviews on amazon.com, finding out about the excellent endings that got junked on Penny Arcade and this board, plus the bugs and the fact that the game simply isn't done, I decided not to buy it.

Everybody has different opinions, but all I've heard from serious, rational gamers is that the last 1/3rd of the game blows, the ending is horrible and with the first 2/3rd being so good, it's a tremendous letdown.

Why should I buy a buggy, incomplete game with a bad ending *especially* when it can be fixed?

Should I buy or not buy this game? Is the letdown that bad, the bugs that serious, and the game that unfinished?

Not everyone has experienced bugs like that.

The ending sucked hmm? Thats because they just dont like ambiguous endings. Im sure if you asked the same people they will tell you that they were disappointed by Half-Life 2's ending and Halo 2's ending thus saying it was crap. (dunno about Halo but Half Life 2 got 96% rating, best ive ever seen)

Dont believe the hype, KotOR is *NOT* incomplete, the main plot is there thus it cant be, bug's are conditional with the person it would seem, ive never experienced any.... but there ya go.

It is of course your decision, but personally i advise you to not just resign to not buying it, but take 213374U's advice, Rent it, if you like it... buy it.

Nuff said

Why some people will react with insults to my posting and some won't? I don't really know and I sure as hell don't care. I always answer the same to this kind of argument: there is the ignore function in case you don't like the content or tone of my posts.  I am but a simple software pirate and an FPS griefer, please leave me to ph14m3 h4p!355 n00b5 !n p34c3.
There man, I fixed part of your post. Don't want you misrepresented. :)

Are you usually that retarded or did you post that while suffering an overdose of home-distilled booze?

YOU FREAKING n00b

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The ending sucked hmm?  Thats because they just dont like ambiguous endings.  Im sure if you asked the same people they will tell you that they were disappointed by Half-Life 2's ending and Halo 2's ending thus saying it was crap. (dunno about Halo but Half Life 2 got 96% rating, best ive ever seen)

Dont believe the hype, KotOR is *NOT* incomplete, the main plot is there thus it cant be, bug's are conditional with the person it would seem, ive never experienced any.... but there ya go.

I think HaloII was worse. The ending was very sudden I really wasnt expecting it to end at that point because there was no real end battle of note.

KOTOR II at least had an ending which felt like it was going to end.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I think HaloII was worse. The ending was very sudden I really wasnt expecting it to end at that point because there was no real end battle of note.

KOTOR II at least had an ending which felt like it was going to end.

To an extent yeah i think you're right. If you were to argue which cliffhanger was closer to 'Luke gets his hand chopped off, Hand gets sent off in carbonite and the whole 'I am your father' thing.' KOTOR2 was much more effective, even if it did seem rushed. I expect if a more of the loose ends had been tied off from the storyline, with only a few more left, there would have been less of a feeling that you must have missed a chunk of the game. I didn't feel KOTOR 2 ended at a bad point. Just that I had this nagging feeling there was another level or two I should have been to first.

Halo 2 felt like watching a tv program where they didn't show the last part after the commercial break. Nothing was really resolved. Not saying i didn't have a blast though. I just felt with Halo 2 they tried to be clever and fell flat, because basically they didn't know how to leave it.

I never felt that with KOTOR2 I think it shone throughout the game where they wanted to take it. which is why so many of us got a feeling something was missing.