What would you say when killing someone?

"Sorry, I really thought it wasn't loaded ..."

We shouldn't forget famous last words. Personal favorite: Civil War General John Sedgwick, who uttered what I think are the best last words ever spoken by a human being:

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ..." His last words were in response to his officers telling him to take cover against Confederate riflemen, and the sentence was never finished because Sedgwick was struck and killed by a Confederate bullet.

"When it's time to shoot, shoot, don't talk..."

(Tukko, 'from the hip, in the bathtub' in _The Good, The Bad And The Ugly_)

Actually what made Vader cool was not the fact that he spouted one liners but that he did so in situations which were entirely under his control and thus, there being no 'active threat condition' at all, he could afford to be arrogant (if not sloppy).

The Rebel is already dead when he asks the question about the ambassador the inquiry was 'rhetorical' even if it wasn't pointless (diplomatic privelege has been the cover for espionage for /millenia/, even on our world).

Leia ("You are a spy and a traitor, take her away!") is both bound and surrounded by Stormtroopers. It also indicates a weakness of Vader in that the 'best he can do' when goaded is to remove the stimulus rather than eliminate his reactio to it...).

In the War Room, this is made all the more obvious in that it takes Governor Tarkin to pull Vader off the man and there was _no point_ in his 'power point illustration' because not only did Vader have nothing to gain (intel or intimidation) from the act (the officer was in fact correct, the Death Star was more 'powerful'). But Vader also didn't get to /carry thru/ on his threat in a way that made him seem even weaker. More pitbull than potentate. In any case, however; Vader was never under any threat from the _unarmed_ officers in the room and I'm not even sure that the two door sentries (there in other shots of Governor Tarkin's 'office') were present either.

At the other end of the scale, the pompous older Admiral Ozzle (sp.) is too busy trying to defluster himself (psychologically self-intimidated as a function of false-anger covering up for a real mistake) to be a threat, even if he hadn't died 'by hologram'. Again showing Vader's preference for killing beyond the influence of a crew that was potentially loyal to their task group Commander. At the same time it displays a decided lack of managerial 'hands on to the critical details' CONTROL of the situation on Vader's part ("I told you not to pop out of hyperspace so close in..." Is NOTHING compared to "Admiral, these are my orders, you will pop out of hyperspace at least .25 parsec out from the system...").

Captain Needa fulfills the 'heroic samurai' tradition (speared messenger) when he was 'too honorable' (aka also full of himself) to realize that taking responsibility upon his shoulders wouldn't mean diddly dip to Vader. Nor save his bridge crew if Vader was so inclined. And so, in failing to simply 'sit still, shut up and file the paperwork in triplicate, slowly...' he also assured that his /style/ of (effective) command would also be lost.

Again, in NONE of these instances, is Vader 'really cool' as in level headed and insightful. He does however posess the schoolyard bully's sense of time and place to impose his sadism upon victims 'without a teacher looking'.

Inner And Outward Silence is the gift of a focussed warrior in combat. Extensive dialogue just shows a lack of concentrated will if not capabiltiy to achieve an objective, that you have to 'talk them to death' otherwise.

Saberist Out.

Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father: prepare to die.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Speak Basic, or Go back to Mexico!

Anyone else think I have a nice rack!

*Kills everyone in bar, blames Sith, tells no one, gains no DSP*

(That is evil)

Eagles may soar...

but Rabbits don't get sucked into Jet Engines

Kinda long... funny, and we do consignment programing

One Ring to Rule them all

One Ring to draw them

One Ring to code them all

The last in the coffe spill edits them...

We are the Elite four, we went to high school together, and code games together, I rule them all (Writer/Designer/Director)

-Big Phil (calls Yao ming short, for good reason...) Draws thelevels and basic area coding

-Manu codes our AI, called latte, not for his skin, but he never stops fidgiting

-August edits our code, still has coffe in his class/company ring, and puts so much spit & polish on our stuff, his spit would flood the whole of Mars

Oh, crap... Dang it! Can you hold on a sec? I had a really witty comment to say as I ran my fist through your entrails, but I forgot... Oh, what was it? Crap... Do you know what I was going to say?

:)

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

"HA-HA! Too bad you can't quick-load and try again."

Bugs? Klingon Software does not have 'Bugs'. It has FEATURES and they are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand!

HK-47: "Recitation: First, weapon selection is critical. If I see one more idiot attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself."

HK-47: "Answer: Select grenades, sonic screamers, cluster rockets and plasma charges. Mines are also effective, since many Jedi will run to meet you in hand to hand combat. Silly Jedi."