Good RTS games

Torpar

Hello my fellow gamers,

Any suggestions for a good RTS title?

I've been playing RTS games since the antediluvian days when Command and Conquer was still popular. I enjoyed Red Alert, WarCraft, Age of Empires, my favorite so far being StarCraft. However, I'm quite disappointed with the lack of new and satisfying RTS releases (WarCraft III was good, but still fell a little short of my expectations) these days. I was wondering if someone could recommend a decent, well-balanced RTS game to me.

Any opinions or inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, folks. :ninja:

The last RTS I played was Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War. I thought it was great fun...plays a little like a cross between Total Annihilation and Starcraft. There are no harvested resources, just extra resource points for taking tactically important areas of the map. you do get to build neat-o bases though.

I've only played the single-player campaign as the Space Marines, but I imagine MP is a blast.

It isn't technically a RTS, but Rome: Total War might hit the spot for you and is for me the best PC game released in the past three years.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I usually hate RTS but a friend got me Wh40:DoW and it was fun. Dont think its very balanced though, Space Marines pretty much own the game.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Dune 2: The Building of a Dynasty :ninja:

Bugs? Klingon Software does not have 'Bugs'. It has FEATURES and they are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand!

HK-47: "Recitation: First, weapon selection is critical. If I see one more idiot attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself."

HK-47: "Answer: Select grenades, sonic screamers, cluster rockets and plasma charges. Mines are also effective, since many Jedi will run to meet you in hand to hand combat. Silly Jedi."

Thanks, Monte. I've seen Rome: Total War, and it looks fairly complicated (mostly manuevering your army to gain advantages against the opposing army)... I've never heard of Warhammer before, so I'll check out as it sounds promising.

Dune 2: The Building of a Dynasty ;)

Free download:

http://www.abandonia.com/games/36/Dune_2/Dune2.htm

It was among the first PC games I played, loved it. For me, the whole RTS genre was ruined somewhere around when StarCraft came and people started whoring instead of playing for fun.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Dune 2: The Building of a Dynasty :thumbsup:

Free download:

http://www.abandonia.com/games/36/Dune_2/Dune2.htm

It was among the first PC games I played, loved it. For me, the whole RTS genre was ruined somewhere around when StarCraft came and people started whoring instead of playing for fun.

Yeah. The games went from: "Good luck, guys. May the best team win" to "KEEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE RUSH OK!?!!111oneone!! ^______________________________^"

Bugs? Klingon Software does not have 'Bugs'. It has FEATURES and they are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand!

HK-47: "Recitation: First, weapon selection is critical. If I see one more idiot attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself."

HK-47: "Answer: Select grenades, sonic screamers, cluster rockets and plasma charges. Mines are also effective, since many Jedi will run to meet you in hand to hand combat. Silly Jedi."

Hello my fellow gamers,

Any suggestions for a good RTS title?

I've been playing RTS games since the antediluvian days when Command and Conquer was still popular. I enjoyed Red Alert, WarCraft, Age of Empires, my favorite so far being StarCraft. However, I'm quite disappointed with the lack of new and satisfying RTS releases (WarCraft III was good, but still fell a little short of my expectations) these days. I was wondering if someone could recommend a decent, well-balanced RTS game to me.

Any opinions or inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, folks.  :-

The Total War series is the best. Rome and Medieval in particular

Dawn of War is a newer, visceral one that is a lot of fun.

Warlords Battlecry III is more traditional and just plane kicks ass with all the different sides. And there are a lot.

Empire Earth has a lot of different gameplay styles from pre-medieval combat up to sci fi stuff.

http://www.darwinia.co.uk/ is incredibly unique and awesome, and should be the first one you check out.

Empire Earth has a lot of different gameplay styles from pre-medieval combat up to sci fi stuff.

Own the game, and I cannot say I'm too satisfied with it. The major problem is that the gameplay is too complicated. Resource harvesting is slow and painstaking, and there are just simply too many aspects to consider. There is little variability to the game. I like the feature how civilizations can advance from one age to another, but there too many stages, and resource harvesting is so cumbersome that advancement soon becomes a dull process. The original excitement fades out quickly because the game almost always drags into an arms race which takes hours and hours of tedious gameplay... Instead of trying to cover the entire history of the human race in a single game, I think the developers should have just picked a certain era, as they did for Age of Empires...

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions, folks. I'll be sure to look up Dawn of War.

Play RTW.

RTW is god.

Or at least very similar.

The difference being, I got bored of religion and gave up on it after a while whereas I haven't gotten bored of the Total War games and my fondness for them has failed to wain.

All Powerful Deity vs. Total War Games

Total War: 1

All Powerful Deity: 0

If you are up to trying something a little different check out a half life mod called "Natural Selection"

the majority of the gameplay is FPS, but there is a RTS mode that is interesting to take a look at. Its solely multi player, but one person on the marine team gets a top down view with RTS gameplay, resource management, troop waypoints, upgrades and what not.

The interesting part is that all your units and all the enemy units are actual players and not A.I.

steepish learning curve too

For something a little more like the Command & Conquer you could check out Act of War. The campaign is fairly short and there are only a few skirmish maps but it is a lot of fun to play. Might want to wait until the price drops slightly as paying full price for a game that short is a little much depending on if you are into multiplayer matches or not.

Thank you for all the suggestions thus far, everyone.

Personally, I enjoy playing RTS matches online rather than just single-player. AI can just go as far as creating units and attacking you, but playing with real players provides more of a challenge, as you have to adapt quickly to your opponent's tactics and style... I've heard many complaints that RTS games were only about amassing a huge army and overwhelming the other player, but that in itself requires skill. Whoever is more capable of building a larger army in a shorter amount of time wins...

I've looked up Warhammer: Dawn of War, and it looks like a worthy title - reviewers said that it had a good backstory, excellent 3-D graphics, and entertaining gameplay. However, it does seem that the game lacks variability, as it only allows you to play one race... Also, I was wondering - does the game support multiplayer?

To answer your questions:

1. There is only one race (Space Marines) in the official campaign. You can play any of the races in single-player skirmish mode, which is pretty good fun.

2. Full MP support with customizable armies. I have a Chapter of bright pink space marines.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

1. There is only one race (Space Marines) in the official campaign. You can play any of the races in single-player skirmish mode, which is pretty good fun.

Hmm... so there are multiple races (other than the Space Marines)?

There are the Space Marines, Eldar (who are sort of strange space elves I guess; I'm not a Warhammer mentat), Orks (who are orcs) and Chaos Marines (demonic space marines and can summon demons and stuff). I thought it all rather hokey, but actually it's a rather enjoyable blend of camp, over-the-top science fantasy that reminds me of 2000AD's Nemesis The Warlock.

The graphics, BTW, are very good. The unit models and (especially) vehicles are really well done.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

If you have a fast internet connection, I suggest you download the demo. Playing a game of skirmish will convince you more of how fun the game is more than anything anyone of us could tell you.

I'll be frank, I've never been a big fan of standard RTS games. Total Annihilation was probably the only one I've really enjoyed before, and that was because I was playing with friends. Dawn of War, though, has really *really* impressed me. People may not think the resource management system is revolutionary, but it *is* to me. It's made standard RTS games fun for me for once. It turns the whole map into a constant battlefield where you fight to gain control of strategic and critical points. If you don't push on, you *will* get overwhelmed as the enemy overpowers you in terms of resources. You never get a break. It's constant war. And war is visceral.

Trailer here http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=3113&type=mov

Or here http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=3113&type=wmv

All in-game shots.

Demo here http://www.gamershell.com/download_6943.shtml

Or here http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/wh4...nstall.exe.html

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I agree with everything said about DoW. It's good to get it now as more and more fan campaigns and even full new races are coming out. And they're real quality work. I'll throw in a few links later. :cool:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds