The PCvsXbox thread revisted.

Since I dont enjoy wasting times with pointless PM's I thought I'd reopen the thread.

Lets get the obvious out of the way first.

Q.Will A PC run KOTOR better than an XBox.

A. Depends on the PC. Both the PC's boon and bane is the fact there is no standard PC.

Q. Can a PC bought for the same cost as an Xbox run KOTOR II.

A. Not bloody likely.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I just think PC's are more versatile (and well, cost more obviously) in general and there's no mess with things like XBox Live or whatever it is (you can tell that I don't own one...).

The good thing about consoles is that there are no system requirement options, and in KotOR's case, get the game earlier.

I also think PC interface (ie, Keyboard/Mouse) seem more appropriate for these sorts of games.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

I just think PC's are more versatile (and well, cost more obviously) in general and there's no mess with things like XBox Live or whatever it is (you can tell that I don't own one...).

The good thing about consoles is that there are no system requirement options, and in KotOR's case, get the game earlier.

I also think PC interface (ie, Keyboard/Mouse) seem more appropriate for these sorts of games.

yeah i agree with the interface, the WASD keys and the mouse just work much better than the brick of an xbox controller for this type of game

I found the gamepad flawless. Never really had to think about controls and thats the sign of a good control system.

I've not actually played KOTORII on the PC. Controls different from the first ?Because a lot of people complained about them.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I've not actually played KOTORII on the PC. Controls different from the first ?Because a lot of people complained about them.

For those who do own the PC version of KoTORII, the controls are not a factor of complaint, if one would simple look at the cardboard display that comes with the game that shows you all of the controls. :)

Tsel ;)

Since I dont enjoy wasting times with pointless PM's I thought I'd reopen the thread.

A. Depends on the PC. Both the PC's boon and bane is the fact there is no standard PC.

A. Not bloody likely.

Why not just call it "The PC vs Xbox thread horribly warped from its original context, then revisited"

Curse my poor choice of title. I will once again finish this discussion.

1) The best option is to own a PC AND an XBox. Like me. Why? Because there are fantastic games on Xbox you can't get on PC, and my PC is a powerhouse.

2) KOTOR 2 has some serious technical problems, so I'm told. Therefore, if you own an XBox AND A PC (Like me), AND KOTOR 2 PC AND KOTOR 2 XBOX. Please let me know which you had least trouble with, because I don't want to buy the game twice, unlike KOTOR 1.

PC Owners who don't own an Xbox CAN'T COMMENT. Xbox owners whp don't own a PC CAN'T COMMENT.

That was what my thread was about.

Since yours is on a wholly different topic, I say that the best answer to your PC vs. Xbox question is to own both. If you can't afford that, and need a workplace at home, getting a cheap PC and an Xbox is better than just getting a Mother PC, if you like multiplayer parties, Halo and Jade Empire, and saving money.

In terms of raw brute power, there is no competition, and I'm not going to insult anyones intelligence by saying which.

The main issue for me is

Q. Does a huge number of the bugs and problems with running the KoTOR series on PC, stem from it being developed simultaneously for an obsolete POS system like the Xbox?

A. Yes.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

A. Not bloody likely.

Why not just call it "The PC vs Xbox thread horribly warped from its original context, then revisited"

Curse my poor choice of title. I will once again finish this discussion.

1) The best option is to own a PC AND an XBox. Like me. Why? Because there are fantastic games on Xbox you can't get on PC, and my PC is a powerhouse.

2) KOTOR 2 has some serious technical problems, so I'm told. Therefore, if you own an XBox AND A PC (Like me), AND KOTOR 2 PC AND KOTOR 2 XBOX. Please let me know which you had least trouble with, because I don't want to buy the game twice, unlike KOTOR 1.

PC Owners who don't own an Xbox CAN'T COMMENT. Xbox owners whp don't own a PC CAN'T COMMENT.

That was what my thread was about.

Since yours is on a wholly different topic, I say that the best answer to your PC vs. Xbox question is to own both. If you can't afford that, and need a workplace at home, getting a cheap PC and an Xbox is better than just getting a Mother PC, if you like multiplayer parties, Halo and Jade Empire, and saving money.

In terms of raw brute power, there is no competition, and I'm not going to insult anyones intelligence by saying which.

I do not own a console system; however, my nephew does own one, I have played KoTOR on his console, and I have played KoTOR on my PC.

I prefer the PC version, but in the end it all comes down to different strokes for different folks.

Tsel ;)

I own both a PC and a 'Box.

The XBox is an obsolete system. A 700Mhz P3 CPU and a 64mb GFXcard and 128mb of RAM is going to run newer games which require more and more resources just to run somewhat properly and smoothly?

You can't compare an XBox against a PC, really. The PC is so much better in every fashion than an XBox. Almost everyone has at least one PC capable of running practically every game there is.

The only thing I like about the Xbox is that is has some kickass racing games that doesn't exist on the PC. Other than that, it really isn't all that good.

Fable, which is a pretty easy run game in terms of hardware, lags on an Xbox. A minor second, sure, but still.

The Xbox is cheap because the components it's made out of are cheap (now, at least).

Bugs? Klingon Software does not have 'Bugs'. It has FEATURES and they are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand!

HK-47: "Recitation: First, weapon selection is critical. If I see one more idiot attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself."

HK-47: "Answer: Select grenades, sonic screamers, cluster rockets and plasma charges. Mines are also effective, since many Jedi will run to meet you in hand to hand combat. Silly Jedi."

Unless I screwed up the controls configurations somewhere in installation and set up, I found it to be a bit different than KOTOR I. I had a bit more trouble moving my character, turning them different directions while running in KOTOR II than I did in the first one.

Maybe I just screwed up the mouse sensitivity or something. :p

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

no , instead you like to change the topic in a attempt to avoid admitting things you dont like

as for consoles gamepads , well theres just no comparison , for 1st & 3rd person games the mouse totally is 100% better

theres no way the toggel can be as fast or as accurate as what you can be with a mouse . MS dont want the Xbox to be seen as a mini PC , but a ton of games are just gagging for mouse control (luckily there are work-arounds for me & other Xbox owners)

ive played Kotor 1 & 2 both entirely thru on the Xbox & seen & played parts of both on the PC

visually & for moving smoothness , there is no competiton for the PC

its better hands down , you get Kotor as the developers want you to see it as

i have noticed this especially with this latest generation of games , we are getting releases ramped up in AI programing , texture detail & enviroment complexity , all of which (especially AI which absorbs masses of CPU time) is maxing out CPUs for processing power

while the Xbox showed sony fans what a console really ought to be , it still is spluttering on new generation games , it wont be untill the Xbox2 & PS3 that we finally get console with true gaming power , + with genuine HDTV support you will nearly have PC level detail

no , instead you like to change the topic  in a attempt to avoid admitting things you dont like

as for consoles gamepads , well theres just no comparison , for 1st & 3rd person games the mouse totally is 100% better

theres no way the toggel can be as fast or as accurate as what you can be with a mouse . MS dont want the Xbox to be seen as a mini PC , but a ton of games are just gagging for mouse control (luckily there are work-arounds for me & other Xbox owners)

ive played Kotor 1 & 2  both entirely thru on the Xbox & seen & played parts of both on the PC

visually & for moving smoothness , there is no competiton for the PC

its better hands down , you get Kotor as the developers want you to see it as

i have noticed this especially with this latest generation of games , we are getting releases  ramped up in AI programing , texture detail & enviroment complexity , all of which (especially AI which absorbs masses of CPU time) is  maxing out CPUs  for processing power

while the Xbox showed sony fans what a console really ought to be , it still is  spluttering on new generation games , it wont be untill the Xbox2 & PS3 that we finally get console with true gaming power , + with genuine HDTV support you will nearly have PC level detail

Unlike some people I have no problem with the truth.

You seem to have this idea of the PC as an ideal machine. Where in fact it's a bunch of things stuck together. The Xbox on the other hand is a standard unit. Ergo you cant compare THE PC to THE XBOX because there is no such thing as THE PC. Only A PC, one which will improve the more money you fork out for it. So perhaps you should just quit using the PC and come up with a configuration and associated price.

Still continue with your naive BS if it makes you happy just quite filling my PM box with crap.

Unless you can build a PC for $99 the Xbox wins hands down.

478327[/snapback]

The XBox practically isa PC with very little modifications. Its "OS" runs on a 500Kb Windows 2000 Kernel. You can install Linux on it, you can use it to store Mp3's, games (if you have a large enough HDD). You can play games online with it, and so on and so forth.

I look at the 'Box as a miniature PC as it is more that than a console.

Bugs? Klingon Software does not have 'Bugs'. It has FEATURES and they are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand!

HK-47: "Recitation: First, weapon selection is critical. If I see one more idiot attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself."

HK-47: "Answer: Select grenades, sonic screamers, cluster rockets and plasma charges. Mines are also effective, since many Jedi will run to meet you in hand to hand combat. Silly Jedi."

You seem to have this idea of the PC as an ideal machine. Where in fact it's a bunch of things stuck together

oh please , what is a Xbox then ? those things stuck inside the xbox are not officially updateable

this is one area that consoles should push foward with

i mean just how much better it would be if we could replace the GF4-Mx440 chipset on the Xbox M/B with a GF4 Ti 4600

as well as being allowed to ramp up as much AA as we wanted

go have a look at the mods available for the Xbox , then youll see how others get around (slightly) its limitations

i swear its the fanboys that are the most ignorant/stubborn

oh please , what is a Xbox then ? those things stuck inside the xbox are not officially updateable

this is one area that  consoles should push foward with

i mean just how much better it would be if we could replace the GF4-Mx440 chipset on the Xbox M/B with a GF4 Ti 4600

as well as being allowed to ramp up as much AA as we wanted

go have a look at the mods  available for the Xbox , then youll see how others get around (slightly) its limitations

The Xbox is fixed unit. You mess around with it and any problems caused are you own to deal with.

It wouldnt because then you will be in same loop that the PC is in. Too many configurations to allow proper testing and too many systems of differing abilities all trying to be optimised to run the same game.

And look at all the problems their DIY causes them.

Good I'm really glad your seeing your fanboism for what it is finally.

478327[/snapback]

The Xbox is fixed unit. You mess around with it and any problems caused are you own to deal with.

You can say the very same about factory-built PC's. Hasn't stopped people from modding it though. And face it: not all Xbox units are flawless. The DVD-drive stopped working for many. The RAM modules were busted. The graphics chip malfunctioned from time to time. Lately, there has been problems with the power cords.

Gee, where have I seen the same symptoms. Oh, that's right. ON A COMPUTER!

No offense to either of you, that one particular come back just brought back alot of play-ground memories, and a few laughs.

I don't know if the whole upgrade-thing will ever take-off with consoles. Seems like it would jack up the price higher than they would want. A PC is basically just a system that lots of different companies have all decided compete over (As opposed to mac) whereas console hardware is pretty much one company. Its probably just easier to bring out a totally new product every 3-5 years, than try and make a cheap version of a PC's upgrade capacity.

But, I'm no computer engineer, I'd like to hear from someone who knows the ropes.

I like both games on my xbox and pc. Can't play KOTOR 2 on my PC. It just can't handle it. You have to do more work on PC to make sure it runs right. Virus scans, spyware programs etc... Xbox you never have to worry about those things and you don't have to buy upgrades all the time to play the new games.

I just like the xbox controller but I can hook it up to the pc or I can use a mouse and key board with this. But controllers are user choice just come down what you like better.

sjoyfrag.jpg

I've add a mod chip to my xbox and large HD and it has very few problems most because I was trying new things. I can use trainers and modded items for games. PC games are easier to mod though. I've never had a good time playing online with my PC. (only game I've played was halo) but I just choose fire up my xbox on use XBConnect or xlink for free online play.

Seeing games how the devlopers want would that mean you had to have the same systems and most dev. system would make mine cry? I really want a patch instead of a completed game. looks like Halo 2 might start expansion packs for the xbox.

for $200 the xbox wins. when the price doesn't matter just buy the consoles and a good PC then you will always be able to plat the latest and games no matter what platform.

If consoles where smart they would make something so you could play their games on PC as well.

lol

im a fan of whatever works best , whether it has sony or microsoft on the outside doesnt bother me

but the original question is what runs Kotor best

& your attitude is that the xbox runs Kotor just fine & PC's are a waste & not needed , especially as how console games are now more popular

well sorry to burst your bubble , but the Xbox is nowhere near a PCs performance

Kotor runs like crap on the Xbox as soon as the action starts, as in it bearly runs

how about you pull your head out from wherever you have it stuck & get a opinion based on reality