Ultimate Weapon of the Star Wars Kid

Do you find the weapon resemblence unnerving?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find the weapon resemblence unnerving?

• Yes
    • No
    • What's/Who's the Star Wars Kid?

The Ultimate weapon has been found!

OK, I was browsing through the GameSpot screenshots helping to look for a particular piece of concept (maybe fan) artwork. Nihilus vs Atris

and I came across a screenshot where the player is holding a metal staff (but with a tiny glow) which looks exactly like the ultimate lightsaber used by the STAR WARS KID (SWK Video, Nov2002). It's probably just a coincidence, or is it? and I guess a rod has to look like, well, a rod.

post-10482-1112503721_thumb.jpg post-10482-1112503755_thumb.jpg

(Found a better matching pair)

k2gamespot21aa.jpgswk22sp.jpg

(although now in the K2 shot, the grip is now black - alignment indicator?)

Incase you don't see the resemblence straight away, both are long metal rods with a bulb at one end, and slightly thicker at the other.

I've probably come across this weapon, but never used it. I picked up a lot of melee stuff I didn't use.

Do you agree with the resemblence? Find it ...weird/funny/uncanny?

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Is it the Force Pike or something? Never used that weapon myself...

Oh, and I doubt KotOR II is emulating this kid. After all, what he did was emulating official Star Wars moves from The Phantom Menace. KotOR probably just use moves from the movies as well.

I havent played republic commando - but do the grievous droids' sticks have that buzzing sound like in the Clone Wars cartoon

Yes. They look a bit like double lightsabers with a longer shaft and smaller lightsabers.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

^ he was talking about the weapon not moves ..

To be doing the same move...that's a pretty lucky match.

To also be holding a similar-look weapon....that's just uncanny. :p

heh, the Handmaidens' must be using the Star Wars Kid as their armed training video.

Any Devs want to admit watching the Star Wars Kid? (and taking a few pointers)

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Wouldnt it be more likely that they got it from the movies? Since that is what he is copying.

Moves Yes,

Weapon...well, that's the point here.

(SWK was pretending to be Darth Maul with a double-bladed lightsaber)

That's unnerving  :p

Yes...yes it is..... :p

sigpic0yb.jpg

That's just too similar to be a coincidence. Of course, the thing that would clinch it for certain is whether the moves performed with a force pike are different to those performed with a double saber. Those performed with the double saber would be copying the movies directly, so if the Force Pike moves are different, it must be original or copying something else. And if it's something else, my money's on the SWK.

On a related note, one of my goals in life is to spar with the Star Wars Kid. As an amateur staff fighter, the Star Wars Kid is my hero. If only I could be as awesome as he. :thumbsup:

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

That's just too similar to be a coincidence.  Of course, the thing that would clinch it for certain is whether the moves performed with a force pike are different to those performed with a double saber.  Those performed with the double saber would be copying the movies directly, so if the Force Pike moves are different, it must be original or copying something else.  And if it's something else, my money's on the SWK.

On a related note, one of my goals in life is to spar with the Star Wars Kid.  As an amateur staff fighter, the Star Wars Kid is my hero.  If only I could be as awesome as he. :p

He would kick your ass. :D :p

That's just too similar to be a coincidence.  Of course, the thing that would clinch it for certain is whether the moves performed with a force pike are different to those performed with a double saber.  Those performed with the double saber would be copying the movies directly, so if the Force Pike moves are different, it must be original or copying something else.  And if it's something else, my money's on the SWK.

On a related note, one of my goals in life is to spar with the Star Wars Kid.  As an amateur staff fighter, the Star Wars Kid is my hero.  If only I could be as awesome as he. :p

He would kick your ass. :D :p

I find your lack of faith disturbing. The apprentice shall become the master. :ph34r:

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I doubt it's copied directly from anything in SW. The force pike seems more like a super-tazer (like what you'd use to keep a ferocious animal in line while keeping a safe distance...but with more electricity) than a lightsaberstaff.

Rumor is some other kids from SW kid's class stole the video he was making for some school project or other, they're the ones who posted that stuff on the net. When SW kid found out, his family sewed people all over the place and SW kid was so depressed at being massively ridiculed he turned suicidal for a while.

Man that kid should've kept closer tabs on that tape he made, just goes to show that if you wanna do something stupid you better be careful about it. Still the money he made sewing people probably cheered him up :rolleyes:

That's just too similar to be a coincidence.  Of course, the thing that would clinch it for certain is whether the moves performed with a force pike are different to those performed with a double saber.

The game moves are based on double-handed weapon, rather than a double-handed saber. Kinda like how Twin Lightsabers are swung around in the same fashion as twin swords.

It probably started out as a simple rod, but then it would look too much like the Force Pike, Twin Suns Blades, or any other thin-doublebladed weapons. I guess the extra features they tacked on ended up making it look like the SWK "lightsaber" by accident.

Or it could just be they had one of those metal-rod things he used is in the Obsidian office, since after all, it's a simple practical object.

JediMaster.net says it's a golf ball retriever - I can sorta imagine them having one at the Office...

sigpic0yb.jpg

Theres always been something about fat people exerting themselves physically that always gets a hardy chuckle out of me. Maybe I'm a "weightist"

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

You should see me watching Shaq play, I've injured myself before.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.