PC Gaming is not for me

Agreed.  In college, we'd sit around playing PS2 anytime we had spare time, and the girls would love to mess around on the thing as well.  Yet, I don't recall one incident of the girls wanting to play all the new games on my buddy's fully tricked out PC.

Matter of fact, quite of a few of the girls had their own PS2 or XBox or whatever other console systems were out in their rooms, but I don't recall any of them actually computer gaming.

I agree 100%. Like I said above, there was a time for it. In college everyone has one. Girls have no problem with it, as they aren

For example, I work in an industry literally spilling over with hot chicks ...

So - how're your coworkers doin'?

I think it's pretty obvious that there are significant advantages to console gaming over PC gaming, for reasons that have been stated here and elsewhere a gazillion times; there's no reason for me to go over it again. Three things will contribute to what I believe will be PC gamings final destruction:

(1) Widespread adoption of broadband internet appears to be occurring, and about the same time that consoles are taking advantage of what this offers.

(2) The next generation consoles will have graphics far above the capabilities of computers that most people can afford, including the tech savy (e.g. me).

(3) Hi, Opal.

About the only sort of game that I doubt I'll ever be able to play effectively on a console is interactive fiction. And even then, there're programs available for at least the Dreamcast to play them, and I suppose I could finagle an XBox into doing the same thing.

"Henceforth, computer gaming by itself, and console gaming by itself, are doomed to fade away into mere shadows, and only a kind of union of the two will preserve an independent reality." Minkowsky :D

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

For example, I work in an industry literally spilling over with hot chicks ...

So - how're your coworkers doin'?

I think it's pretty obvious that there are significant advantages to console gaming over PC gaming, for reasons that have been stated here and elsewhere a gazillion times; there's no reason for me to go over it again. Three things will contribute to what I believe will be PC gamings final destruction:

(1) Widespread adoption of broadband internet appears to be occurring, and about the same time that consoles are taking advantage of what this offers.

(2) The next generation consoles will have graphics far above the capabilities of computers that most people can afford, including the tech savy (e.g. me).

(3) Hi, Opal.

About the only sort of game that I doubt I'll ever be able to play effectively on a console is interactive fiction. And even then, there're programs available for at least the Dreamcast to play them, and I suppose I could finagle an XBox into doing the same thing.

Give me a freaking break. Unless you're looking at some skunkworks specs, most of what's been released so far, is Next Gen ATI Chips (Xbox), and Sony's talking about some crazy stuff that I'm not sure how they're going to implement it yet. Even if they ARE more powerful at launch (They usually are, however it takes the developers time to learn the specifics of what a system can do, which is why you only see the best games at the end of the console's life), I give it a year; tops. Then PCs will be the big dogs components wise again, because while you can upgrade a PC, and PCs are in a constant state of flux, a console has THE SAME EXACT PARTS for 4-5 years. Sorry dude, but that's a real load you're trying to sell there.

I've heard a lot of hot defenses of pc over console gaming and vice versa but this is the first time I've heard it suggested that console gamers have less likelihood of being laid. ;)

I think we need a survey on this issue. :geek:

Seriously, gaming seems to be a problem in many relationships--not in mine, since my sig other has a corresponding t.v. addiction and we respect each others' personal obsessions, but it's a sad commentary on our times and mores when a person's choice of relatively harmless amusement disqualifies him or her from social acceptance. People seem to have some control issues getting madly out of hand--or else a bad case of superficiality.

It's also amusing that a Troika product should be the downfall of the original poster--no need to blame it on your p.c. or your own gaming skills--the last Troika game(ToEE) I played was crash to desktop and pathing lag and lock-up to the nth degree. Stick to the older games with a lower end p.c.--and eventually upgrade when you truly lust for a game you can't resist.

Consoles I think are far more social. You all sit in the same room, or side by side. Even at a LAN party you are isolated from each other. So while PC owners can be perceived as geeky loners, it's not something that applies to consoles in my experience.

Eru,It's really not relevent whether or not a PC can outperform a console on paper. It's only relevent whether or not you are getting a constant supply of new games that use the system to it's fullest. Something that hasnt occured on the PC for many years.

Look at these boards and how many people have changed platforms. Then consider that with even more graphically enhanced machines thats going to increase.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Consoles I think are far more social. You all sit in the same room, or side by side. Even at a LAN party you are isolated from each other. So while PC owners can be perceived as geeky loners, it's not something that applies to consoles in my experience.

Eru,It's really not relevent whether or not a PC can outperform a console on paper. It's only relevent whether or not you are getting a constant supply of new games that use the system to it's fullest. Something that hasnt occured on the PC for many years.

Look at these boards and how many people have changed platforms. Then consider that with even more graphically enhanced machines thats going to increase.

Yes, but for the most part (aside from electronic gaming's infancy), PC gaming has been a niche, for the hardcore. Or for the casual PC owners who pick up old titles for their kids to dink around on (that's how I got started actually). I think as long as there's potential (which there still seems to be, and I imagine will be for at least past the next gen consoles), there will be PC games. When consoles implement modding compatibility for their games, that will probably do a lot more to hurt PC gaming than technological advancements. Just my opinion. Oh, and as for girl PC gamers...my younger sister, 16 years old as of the 20th of March...games on PC exclusively. She plays everything from Rollercoaster/Zoo Tycoon, to Vice City. She also hates joypads as much as me. I've indoctrinated her. :lol:

You know this may have been the case like ten years ago.  But, man, you obviously don't read Maxim, Stuff, FHM, or even Playboy.

It's alot different today than it was a few years ago.

Yea, I don

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

"Out of all the people I hang out with I am the only gamer, and none of them posses a console."

You are a minoriry. I'm older than you are and everybody I know owns a console if not more than one. My parents also love consoles and my dad is nearly 60. All my uncles and most of aunts aslo have them. Not to mention other older people not related. And, most of these people aren't geeks... unlike you and I who *are* geeks.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

How old are you Volourn?

Don't take this the wrong way, but i thought you were 16 or 17.

Heja Sverige!!

"How old are you Volourn?"

I am 1 years old.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but i thought you were 16 or 17."

Don't blame me for your anti teen bigotry and that assume anyone who acts foolish like I do must be a teen. Stupid troll that you are.

...Volourn jus' ne'er got over the whole Teenage Angst / Rebel Without a Clue thing yet, that's all...mebbe when he's hit 30... :lol:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Don't blame me for your anti teen bigotry and that assume anyone who acts foolish like I do must be a teen. Stupid troll that you are.

How friendly.

Heja Sverige!!

"How friendly."

Hey, don't whine. You were trolling me. I had a choice. I either report you or flame ya right back. I chose the latter.

Next time, be polite if you want politeness.

"not as a big one as Visc ..."

No one is.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but i thought you were 16 or 17."

LOL! Come on Vol, can you really blame him? :)

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

wow, so much pc hate here.. : )

a couple points, PC gaming isnt going anywhere, if it stays a niche area thats fine, but it wont die away. You have too many mods/indy projects/technology makers coming out on the PC.

All the groundbreaking technology titles will be hitting PC first, because the PC is always getting innovation first (when it hits market, not when it hits the next production cycle for console release) so drastically better lighting/physics/A.I. will remain PC "hardcore" untill consoles come around again (something to watch out for here are the physics processing unit boards that have been going around the chat circles)

The second is that a lot of PC games give you so much more gameplay for the money you spend on them. The system itself costs much more (1000 compared to 300 for a new system) but then a 50-60 dollar game gives you a ton more if you pick right. Take Half-Life 2.. 60 bucks gets you Hl2, CS, CS:S DoD, NS, TS and DoD:S when it comes out, and those are just the big name mods.

Neverwinter Nights is another game that gives so much more back to the user for his/her money.

Third is the Indy scene, Aside from Alien Hominid i dont really know of any small time devs that break into the market with a fun/innovative game. Consoles are the turf of big budget/low risk games. You get some gems like katamari once in a while, but for the most part you get just polished up rehashes of solid gameplay. On the PC you have a huge selection of free games if you want to look. Cave Story was one i just recently checked out.. low specs, free downloads, minimum graphics, but really fun.

Sure consoles are catching up, but i really dont see them overtaking the PC at its strength, Community Input.

BTW, just to note my take on the price argument.. you can say you have a console cuz its cheaper, you cant say the console is better cuz its cheaper.. its like saying your mobile home is better than my ocean view mansion cuz you payed less for it.. just makes me laugh ; )

BTW, just to note my take on the price argument.. you can say you have a console cuz its cheaper, you cant say the console is better cuz its cheaper.. its like saying your mobile home is better than my ocean view mansion cuz you payed less for it.. just makes me laugh ; )

Yes but owning a PC is like having a mansion that fronts on a garbage dump and requires you to be constantly fixing building defects (if you want to continue the analogy). :D

So yep If you want to take pride in that be my guest.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]