Basilisk War Droid: Artistic License

The basilisk war droid version presented in K2 was an intentional departure from the ones presented in Tales of the Jedi, and we are happy, because frankly, those look really stupid. This is much the same reason that many of the designs in K1 are a departure from the ship designs in TOJ, and with good reason.

Hard to argue with that I saw some scans of ToJ and would like them wiped from my mind.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

The basilisk war droid version presented in K2 was an intentional departure from the ones presented in Tales of the Jedi, and we are happy, because frankly, those look really stupid. This is much the same reason that many of the designs in K1 are a departure from the ship designs in TOJ, and with good reason. So yes, the basilisk droid version was an intentional depature from the older models, and we take full responsibility. It is noteworthy that LucasArts and LucasFilm agreed with our decision on the first pass, much as they agreed with the decisions made with K1's look.

As Chris A. explains, Lucasfilm approved it on first pass.

The BWD in KOTOR II is official.

Not exactly, LFL also approved the VODL, and that isn't offical. I said it once already that just because they APPROVE it, doesn't make it continuity.

The Clone War cartoon for example was approved completely by LFL(not the continuity controlers) even though it conflicted greatly with the novel LOE.

As it stands, the novel is still continuity, and the cartoon is only to be a looked at as a adaptation of the novel.

So just becuase LFL approves it doesn't make it continuity. No doubt they would approve the Beast if it was passed to them.

KOTOR 2 must be completed

i'd like to add another snippet to that persons page...

seems backwards that the wings expand in combat.

its tried and true in RL that you always want to minimize your target area in combat, so it makes more sense for the wings to be out in space flight and close in for combat.

smaller target=

harder to hit=

higher endurance

Just to play devil's advocate here I think I should point out that the actual REAL LIFE application of the "moving" or "sweeping" wing design (i.e. F-14, F-111) also feature wings that sweep back while in flight (better aerodynamics it that case I guess) and then move out for better stability when in combat.

Of course I guess aerodynamics don't matter in space so I'll go with the "looking nifty" theory.

So a new user thinking it be fun to make his first post about a lobster thats in game for 10 secs or is it just someone *cough* Darth Nuke *cough* thinking it would be fun to start such a discussion yet again?

Anyways Lobster machine thingy is just plain ugly im glad they didnt use it.

Secondly the kotor version would own the lobster since as Darth Nuke posted in one of the other threads its a stealth version, big guns can't hit what they can't see

Also did i mention i find the lobster version just plain ugly?

In the end its never possible to get a 100% satisfactury(sp?) from the gamers but by using their artisitic freedom and changing the lobster to an actual vehicle that seems to be able to fly i do think they made the best decision.

" So... let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane? "

- Rimmer, Quarantine

We would not having this convertation if Chris called something else, like a Mandalorian orbital attack shuttle.

Makes me wonder how much was put in the game because "the fans wanted it" ...

In the end what is on the game is not a Basilisk War droid, it does not matter if the original looks stupid or not.

drakron.png

Agreed. I don't care if Chris considers original basilisk stupid or not. And it is KOTOR starships that look lame and plagiated from TPM. TOTJ starships are great and monumental especially in Dark Lords of the Sith.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Wonderful. I love reading about people complaining about how a ship design looks for a ship/war droid/whatever that only appears in about 15 seconds of the entire game. :)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Well I have to say at least the Basilisk War Droid "molosbster" is original ... unlike the Ravenger that looks just  another Star Destroyer copy down to the bridge towers.

...And Nar Shaddaa look like in times of Kyle Katarn escapade!

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

Agreed. I don't care if Chris considers original basilisk stupid or not. And it is KOTOR starships that look lame and plagiated from TPM. TOTJ starships are great and monumental especially in Dark Lords of the Sith.

Are you talking about the Sail Boats?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Secondly the kotor version would own the lobster since as Darth Nuke posted in one of the other threads its a stealth version, big guns can't hit what they can't see

Also did i mention i find the lobster version just plain ugly?

Actually I only assume it's a Stealth version, the article doesn't actually say it. So technically it's just a Virago Star viper, which can be seen and quickly destroyed by a Basilisk War Droid. :rolleyes:

KOTOR 2 must be completed

And Chris doesn't care what you think. But since he is the lead designer and you are um... nobody, you lose. :rolleyes:)

Well, after the last few posts I think it's pretty clear now who got a new identity to start another stupid thread without drawing flak or risking a warning. But let me tell you, you really need some practice at subterfuge.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Not exactly, LFL also approved the VODL, and that isn't offical. I said it once already that just because they APPROVE it, doesn't make it continuity.

The Clone War cartoon for example was approved completely by LFL(not the continuity controlers) even though it conflicted greatly with the novel LOE.

As it stands, the novel is still continuity, and the cartoon is only to be a looked at as a adaptation of the novel.

So just becuase LFL approves it doesn't make it continuity. No doubt they would approve the Beast if it was passed to them.

Since you seem to be the local continuity expert, what determines whether something is continutiy of not? And where is is information available to the public?

Well I have to say at least the Basilisk War Droid "molosbster" is original ... unlike the Ravenger that looks just  another Star Destroyer copy down to the bridge towers.

...And Nar Shaddaa look like in times of Kyle Katarn escapade!

Um, Nar Shadaa doesn't look anything like the Nar Shadaa in Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. :rolleyes:

I think he means that it's completely urbanized. Wouldn't necessarily have to be considering that Nal Hutta wasn't the original Hutt homeworld and they slowly turned Nar Shaddaa into their spaceport after they moved in. Still, the buildings look even bigger in DF2 beginning cutscene than in K2 landing cutscene, or it could just be my impression.

SODOFF Steam group.

Well, after the last few posts I think it's pretty clear now who got a new identity to start another stupid thread without drawing flak or risking a warning. But let me tell you, you really need some practice at subterfuge.

It was rather obvious. <_<

I guess he figures we're not as bright as those geniuses at theforce.net :)"

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I think he means that it's completely urbanized. Wouldn't necessarily have to be considering that Nal Hutta wasn't the original Hutt homeworld and they slowly turned Nar Shaddaa into their spaceport after they moved in. Still, the buildings look even bigger in DF2 beginning cutscene than in K2 landing cutscene, or it could just be my impression.

I seriously doubt a "real" Nar Shada would be designed like it was in JK. That design was purely a gameplay device to allow the usual jumping and switch flicking. Normal people would not live in a place where the only way to get around was to force jump onto garbage scows.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

It was rather obvious. <_<

I guess he figures we're not as bright as those geniuses at theforce.net :ermm:"

Check IPs, you'll find it to be untrue.

I don't need such lame tricks to achieve my goals - I always fight under my real name.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES: