Basilisk War Droid: Artistic License

Playing through the game, I came to the point where you land at Iziz in a salvaged Basilisk war droid. The original skeetch of one, from long before the game, is this:

basilisk.jpg

(I call it, "lobster-mole") But that's a lot different from how it came out in the game. In the game it appears to be a Star Viper heavy assault starfighter. It's another mandalorian craft, why not just call it what it looks like? Silly developers...

viragoani.gif

See some dude's site all about it for more details.

I just want to know, why call it a basilisk war droid? After all, it doesnt seem any more realistic to ride through space on top of the actual basilisk without a space suit than it does to hollow out a droid to have space for three and still function fine. Perhaps it was just forgotten in hopes that nobody would notice?

I'm disgruntled. Grr. (Plus, the SWG:JtL people didn't put it in that game, despite the other MandalMotors ships they used. Not cool.)

My one and only post! Never before, never again!

This is a pretty minor inconsistancy. There is a thread elsewhere which talks about how you didn't ride it down like Canderous described in K1, something like that.

If you're concerned (or wanna take an interest) about sketches not matching the ingame product, then go for the Atris concept art differences. Now that's something which didn't turn out fully right. The clothing was modelled ingame well but the head was a tiny bit off.

btw, first time I saw the droid it reminded me of a Hercules fighter from the FreeSpace games.

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

This is a pretty minor inconsistancy.

No. In fact, this is a pretty obvious attempt at trolling. It's like the fourth thread that deals with this, and I find it somewhat suspicious that somebody would register only to "point out" this minor inconsistency. If one of our resident TotJ fundamentalists was to start such a thread, he would get instantly flamed and the thread would be locked or deleted. But if it's a n00b who opens it, the thread might survive and be a perfect battleground for the continuity crusade.

Sheesh.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

obsent ran out of time so they just plugged a sprite in there.

the sprite dept. was probably already behind so they didnt want to build a whole new sprite for something that wasnt going to be majorly used anyways. i mean its just parked in that level... its about the same as one of the junk piles. a 2 second effect.

i'd like to add another snippet to that persons page...

seems backwards that the wings expand in combat.

its tried and true in RL that you always want to minimize your target area in combat, so it makes more sense for the wings to be out in space flight and close in for combat.

smaller target=

harder to hit=

higher endurance

Yeah, but in Star wars you spread your wings out to...uh...look...spiffy...

(X-Wing,B-Wing,Imperial Shuttle...others I can't remember)

Yeah, it has also been said that the Basilisk you fly in TSL is a *stealth* Basilisk...but I can't remember who said it...

So, even though I like the good ol' molbster-ro-beast design, I can accept the design we see in TSL...though they could have made it *slightly* less like the Virago...like with a pointy nose 'er something...

Yay, another molelobster/virago thread. Virago would blow the stupid thing right out of the sky. And yes, it's a MandalMotors ship, just like Slave 1 (IIRC). There must be some kind of conspiracy there.

The excuse for wings folding out for combat is probably making the shields work better and having maneuver thrusters on wingtips. The real reason, of course, is that it looks cooler that way.

SODOFF Steam group.

Yay, another molelobster/virago thread. Virago would blow the stupid thing right out of the sky. And yes, it's a MandalMotors ship, just like Slave 1 (IIRC). There must be some kind of conspiracy there.

The excuse for wings folding out for combat is probably making the shields work better and having maneuver thrusters on wingtips. The real reason, of course, is that it looks cooler that way.

The actual Basilisk War Droid would blow that Virago out of the sky with one shot of it's generator rods.

Oh and Xizor and the Mandalmotors helped create the Virago TOGETHER, and the Slave 1 isn't made by Mandal Motors.

KOTOR 2 must be completed

Obsidian made it that way and Lucasarts said it was okay.

But of course it cannot possibly be okay to raving otakus with nothing better to do... Sorry about that. :-

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Yes, I remembered it wrong. Firespray-class is a Kuat design. The MandalMotors design was Slave II that appeared on that silly Dark Empire comic. Got confused by that.

I find it hard to believe that that "zzzrrrrchh-gun" would even pierce Virago's shields with one shot. It certainly failed to do that for Nebulon Ranger.

I'm okay with TSL using Virago like ship for BWD, even if it's little odd. I just like arguing about Virago vs Molelobster. Internet has finally turned me into a troll, it seems.

SODOFF Steam group.

Yes, I remembered it wrong. Firespray-class is a Kuat design. The MandalMotors design was Slave II that appeared on that silly Dark Empire comic. Got confused by that.

I find it hard to believe that that "zzzrrrrchh-gun" would even pierce Virago's shields with one shot. It certainly failed to do that for Nebulon Ranger.

I'm okay with TSL using Virago like ship for BWD, even if it's little odd. I just like arguing about Virago vs Molelobster. Internet has finally turned me into a troll, it seems.

Even Darth Nuke thinks the molelobster looks silly. He said it on another thread.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Seemed to blow right through ships esaping Ossus, and the blast can pierce capital ship armor. And the Basilisk never hit the Nebulon Ranger, it missed. So we don't know what it would have done if it had.

KOTOR 2 must be completed

Heh, intepretation can really be subjective, it seems. It looks definitely like a hit for me with that explosion thing going on. In the next panel we see it missing, but I assume it just fired again. Later on, we indeed see some (transport?) ships blown up, but wether the BWD's manage to do this with one shot or not is again a matter of intepretation. I'm inclined to believe that it took more than 1 shot to blow up that ship sending a distress message, but on the other hand, it's not rare for people to speak unrealistically long lines at an eyeblink in comic books.

SODOFF Steam group.

I want a "zzzrrrrchh-gun".

But yes, who cares. It has been concluded that the Basilisk we use in TSL is a Stealth Basilisk, and its resemblance to Xixor(err, however you spell it)'s Virago, can be added onto the big giant heaping pile of ships in the pre BOY SW galaxy that look like others from after the BOY. All this argument is about anymore is people who think the original Basilisk looks silly and others who don't.

The basilisk war droid version presented in K2 was an intentional departure from the ones presented in Tales of the Jedi, and we are happy, because frankly, those look really stupid. This is much the same reason that many of the designs in K1 are a departure from the ship designs in TOJ, and with good reason. So yes, the basilisk droid version was an intentional depature from the older models, and we take full responsibility. It is noteworthy that LucasArts and LucasFilm agreed with our decision on the first pass, much as they agreed with the decisions made with K1's look.

As Chris A. explains, Lucasfilm approved it on first pass.

The BWD in KOTOR II is official.