Single or Double LS's? Flurry or Crit Strike?

hey everyone, im about to create my perfect kotor2 game, i wanan cover everything.

I just wanted any advice you guys can offer, im gonna be male lightside, sentinal then weaponmaster, im gonna be focused on lightsaber combat.

Should i do dex or str based, i prefer dex but many pthers say str is the best?

starting stats? i'll probably go

str - 12

dex - 14

con - 14 (get upto 18)

int - 16 (mmmm skills :( )

wis - 10

char - 10

yeah low wis and char, shouldnt mater thou... :">

i'm really torn between single lightsaber, or duel wielding. Single sabers look cool, like proper star wars jedi, and also you get it early in the game, handy +3 for defense and attack as well....

however, duel wielding does look cool, all those extra upgrades, stunnigly over the top dmg (master speed, 2 sabers, master flurry = 5 attacks :blink: all usually 30 or 40+)

the thing is, you do too much dmg with 2 sabers, i wanna make the game a bit realistic, not some kind of, jedi ass whipping. :ph34r:

and if i use one saber, is it better to go with crit strike, or flurry? what about with 2 sabers?? :geek:

i usually go flurry, but crit strike seems so cool, and more jedi like rather than thrashing around trying to hit everything. (also crit strike seems clever, somehow..)

im gonna use jedi robes and upgrades, nothin on my head thou, cus it looks stupid if your a jedi.

also, does anyone know what lvl i should get my skills to, to max them out. for example whats the highest stat in security you need to open everything in the game, and repair for breaking down items?

any more tips anyone can offer?

many thanks

'I did it all for the wookies'

hey everyone, im about to create my perfect kotor2 game, i wanan cover everything.

I just wanted any advice you guys can offer, im gonna be male lightside, sentinal then weaponmaster, im gonna be focused on lightsaber combat.

starting stats?  i'll probably go

str - 12

dex - 14

con - 14 (get upto 18)

int - 16 (mmmm skills  :( )

wis - 10

char - 10

yeah low wis and char, shouldnt mater thou...  :">

i'm really torn between single lightsaber, or duel wielding. Single sabers look cool, like proper star wars jedi, and also you get it early in the game, handy +3 for defense and attack as well....

however, duel wielding does look cool, all those extra upgrades, stunnigly over the top dmg (master speed, 2 sabers, master flurry = 5 attacks  :blink: all usually 30 or 40+)

the thing is, you do too much dmg with 2 sabers, i wanna make the game a bit realistic, not some kind of, jedi ass whipping.  :ph34r:

and if i use one saber, is it better to go with crit strike, or flurry? what about with 2 sabers??  :geek:

i usually go flurry, but crit strike seems so cool, and more jedi like rather than thrashing around trying to hit everything. (also crit strike seems clever, somehow..)

im gonna use jedi robes and upgrades, nothin on my head thou, cus it looks stupid if your a jedi.

also, does anyone know what lvl i should get my skills to, to max them out. for example whats the highest stat in security you need to open everything in the game, and repair for breaking down items?

many thanks

In str start with 14

dex 12

con 12

int 14

wis 12

and in char 12

there you have a perfect one based in str and combat

starting stats?  i'll probably go

str - 12

dex - 14

con - 14 (get upto 18)

int - 16 (mmmm skills  :p )

wis - 10

char - 10

yeah low wis and char, shouldnt mater thou...  :">

however, duel wielding does look cool, all those extra upgrades, stunnigly over the top dmg (master speed, 2 sabers, master flurry = 5 attacks  :blink: all usually 30 or 40+)

the thing is, you do too much dmg with 2 sabers, i wanna make the game a bit realistic, not some kind of, jedi ass whipping.  :ph34r:

and if i use one saber, is it better to go with crit strike, or flurry? what about with 2 sabers??  :huh:

many thanks

Depending on your feats, it might be better to have higher dex. Lightsaber and melee finesse make it so you can use your dex or str bonus for attack modifier and damage. whichever is higher is used. Basically, it means that you fight with speed and finesse instead of just brute strength. So str might not be best for melee fighters. Besides, it makes you good with the blades and the guns. Hella savage if you ask me.

Another point that I would like to make is that if you use the right combination of feats, equipment, and force powers, I don't think you'll need 14 CON and you won't need to spill all the rest of your points into it either. I've always found that 10-12 CON is ample for any galaxy-saving Jedi/galaxy-crushing Sith. With things like Heal and all the regenerative armor upgrades and defense upgrades, I don't think acruing massive HP is all that wonderful and idea.

As far as the lightsaber style, I think Obsidian balanced that out so that all of them are at least nearly the same. You hit more with a single saber (even with master 2 handed fighting) but you swing more with 2 sabers or a dbl hilt. I think it comes down to the feats that you choose and what you prefer. I've always preferred 2 lightsabers. It was one thing that I hated about KotOR I. The sabers were of ascending combat value. 2 sabers better than 1, dbl hilt better than 2 sabers. But as I recall Obsidian fixed that. I take them on their word for this, so don't hold me to it. But I always fight with 2 sabers.

Robes for me, well there is only one. The Matukai robes. They just rock. They do all those bonuses and make you look like bad ass jedi or whatever. Um, of course The novice robes come much before the adept robes. Btw, does anyone know how to get the Matukai Adept robes before right before fighting Darth Sion?

Anyhow that was my schpeel. Do what you will with it.

Depending on your feats, it might be better to have higher dex. Lightsaber and melee finesse make it so you can use your dex or str bonus for attack modifier and damage. whichever is higher is used. Basically, it means that you fight with speed and finesse instead of just brute strength.

You're confusing something. DEX builds are untouchable because of their high defense and so they don't require any finesse at all ('finesse' as in 'tactics', not the feat). STR builds are more interesting.

As far as the lightsaber style, I think Obsidian balanced that out so that all of them are at least nearly the same. You hit more with a single saber (even with master 2 handed fighting) but you swing more with 2 sabers or a dbl hilt.

Again, you're confusing something. At the end of the game you'll hit with something like 80 against defense of 40 with a double-bladed lightsabre + Master Flurry + Juyo, and that's against bosses. That's six attacks per round, all of which will hit except on a roll of 1. Without any melee fighting feats you'll still hit with 60 against 40, so why bother?

The dual-bladed sabre has a 1.5 multiplier for the STR bonus to main hand damage and slightly higher base damage (+2 average main hand, +4 avg. off hand). For my last character the multiplier translated into an extra +8 bonus on the main hand, for more than 50 extra damage per combat round compared to wielding two sabres. Of course, only STR-oriented builds will realize this advantage and you pay for it with decreased critical threat range. DEX-oriented builds are probably better off wielding two sabres and going the 'keen' route.

P.S.: starting stats were 14/10/14/15/14/10 because I wanted my character to beat all skill checks without help, final stats 14/10/18/16/18/10 (+6 STR from LS mastery). The low DEX compared to the more usual 14 was noticable during the earliest levels and during the duelling finals (Handmaidens, Mandalorians) but nothing dramatic. The improved Force points & DC were more noticable, for more of the time.

bottom line, DEX is pointless, you're gonna be hit no matter what, throw it down to 10 and thow the rest between str and constitution

Thats how i played it, with master flurry, lightside guardian/weaponmaster, 2 lightsabers = ownage

That's only one strategy ... the "fighter" route. I can vouch that the "mage" route is ultimately more powerful -- if you are measuring power acording to how quickly and easily the Bosses are dispelled. In fact I rarely had to use my lightsaber. :cool:

E.g. I played a Jedi Consular (10/14/14/12/14/14) and had final stats (level 29: Consular 24 / Jedi Master 5 13/28/18/17/44/17). Naturally, I also made sure I had the Lightsaber Finesse feat. :)"

This was using only a singlebladed lightsaber (8-48 dmg, +3 to hit, +3/10 DS crit, Defence Bonus 1, Deflection +4, DEX +4, STR +3 and WIS +5).

The argument for two single blades must take into consideration the fact that you get more components that you can max out: emitters, lenses, crystals, etc (e.g. adding Keen and critical damage bonuses; increasing stats). :)

Don't forget that DEX adds to defence bonus when not using armour (and is mitigated by the weight of some armour), which makes your character harder to hit. If you can also add your WIS bonus to your Defence --

follow the sparring conversation with the last Handmaiden until she gives you the bonus

Even though my character didn't have many Vitality Points, I never needed them because he always had first attack (Master Speed and DEX check for initiative roll) and I would cast stasis/destroy droid on the group of baddies and then force wave them ... my 789+ Force Points would regenerate quickly enough that I wouldn't even notice the battles' effect on the blue status bar. It took less than ten melee rounds to completely destroy Traya -- including showing her mercy.

Some other good items: the Circlet of Saresh (is this the only named item from the first game?) for (WIS +5), together with the Robes of Ossus, a Jal Shey belt (WIS +1 and Force Defence +14) and a Mental Boost Package (INT, WIS & CHR +1 -- there are +2 packages, but they require a higher CON).

So the "fighter" route is the easiest strategy, but not the most powerful. :p

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well, i haven't played Kotor II since a week after it was released, after completing it once, i saw no point in playing it again and the lack of a decent ending put me off completely.

I personally never use force powers because they are way overpowered, especially the force Lightning and later levels and force crush, even force enlightenment was way over-powered.

My stats would be: (i think this should be a possible stat setup)

str - 10

dex - 16

con - 10

int - 18

wis - 8

cha - 8

Who cares if you cann't use force powers against the enemy, it might screw up people that can't live without force powers, but hey, using force powers constantly does make the game far more easier then it is, considering everone always uses Master Speed combined with Master Flurry with either Dual Sabers or a Double Bladed Saber.

So i say, stick to single saber and go for the dueling feat, you get defence and attack bonuses. :)

Besides, you shouldn't ask how you should play the game, it is up to you.

bottom line, DEX is pointless, you're gonna be hit no matter what, throw it down to 10 and thow the rest between str and constitution

Well, yes and no. I don't like DEX builds myself but it is not because they're "gonna be hit no matter what" - it is because such builds become virtually untouchable.

Start with 16/14/14 CON/DEX/WIS, bring CON to 18 (for implants) and put further attribute points into DEX (melee) or WIS (magic). Wear robes, choose equipment/upgrades/crystals for DEX or defense boni first, WIS else. Take the lightsabre finesse feat. Get Battle Precognition from Brianna. If you want to push this to the limit then take the Duelling feats and use a single lightsabre, Master Speed, Ataru form (at least against bosses). If they're immune to criticals then switch to twin sabres or double-bladed, Flurry. If your damage per main hand attack is less than 50 (average) then Master Power Attack may be better.

For a battlemage it is similar, except that WIS takes the role of DEX (asssuming that you have Battle Precognition). Both attributes contribute to defense but WIS also improves Force DC which plays the same role for spells as attack bonus for physical combat. Female Exiles can't get Battle Precognition so you can't play an untouchable battlewitch.

As a quick test I loaded a save for a male Guardian/Weapon Master (STR-oriented) from before the chat with Sion on Malachor and switched a bit of equipment around to transform him into something resembling a DEX build. E.g. moved pet crystal into a single lightsabre, donned the Ossus Robe, exchanged STR gear for DEX/WIS boosters, and so on. Result: defense 56 and attack 52.

During the four rounds, Sion landed a single lightsabre hit and 2 Drain Life, for a total damage of 86. Exile needed 2..3 flurries to take down Sion, who had about 480 HP. In the STR loadout he needed 1..2 flurries to defeat Sion and took a lot more damage. Guess which was more fun. :D

If you develop a character as a 'defensive' build instead of merely reconfiguring a STR build then you can push defense even higher.

That's only one strategy ... the "fighter" route. I can vouch that the "mage" route is ultimately more powerful -- if you are measuring power acording to how quickly and easily the Bosses are dispelled. [...]

It took less than ten melee rounds to completely destroy Traya -- including showing her mercy. [...]

So the "fighter" route is the easiest strategy, but not the most powerful.  :blink:

While I agree with your post overall, I do disagree with your conclusion. By your measure a STR-oriented Guardian/Weapon Master wins hands down. Nihilus: two rounds. Zakkeg, Drexl Larva, Greater Storm Beast, Sion: 1..2 rounds. Traya: 2 x 2..3 rounds. Everything else 1 round, except for a few toothless tanks like Kobin and some Sith lieutenants on Dxun.

In areas where enemies (like turrets) are spaced too far apart for AOE spells the Guardian needs only one round for each enemy (jump - jump - jump - done), while all other classes have to walk/run from one to the other (melee) or play sitting duck while using two combat rounds per foe in order to cast spells or spit blaster bolts. Granted, such areas are very few and in most other cases you can Force Storm the whole room at once if you pick the right spot, so this advantage is more theoretical than practical. But it is more fun than spamming Force powers.

Against non-bosses even a Guardian/WM can cast Stasis, Force Storm and Destroy Droid just as reliably as a flat-out Consular/JM. In fact, even with melee builds I always used Force Storm or Destroy Droids to clear away enemy groups, since killing each one individually and personally takes one combat round per enemy instead of two per room.

Be that as it may, TSL is so easy that you can have fun in a myriad of ways and set your mind on the most outlandish things without making the game too hard. E.g. the Blaster Deflector From Hell who walks in a room and simply waits until enemies have shot themselves, and so on. Force Confusion, mhmm..... :D

That's only one strategy ... the "fighter" route. I can vouch that the "mage" route is ultimately more powerful -- if you are measuring power acording to how quickly and easily the Bosses are dispelled. [...]

It took less than ten melee rounds to completely destroy Traya -- including showing her mercy. [...]

So the "fighter" route is the easiest strategy, but not the most powerful.  :blink:

While I agree with your post overall, I do disagree with your conclusion. By your measure a STR-oriented Guardian/Weapon Master wins hands down. Nihilus: two rounds. Zakkeg, Drexl Larva, Greater Storm Beast, Sion: 1..2 rounds. Traya: 2 x 2..3 rounds. Everything else 1 round, except for a few toothless tanks like Kobin and some Sith lieutenants on Dxun.

In areas where enemies (like turrets) are spaced too far apart for AOE spells the Guardian needs only one round for each enemy (jump - jump - jump - done), while all other classes have to walk/run from one to the other (melee) or play sitting duck while casting on average two spells per foe. Granted, such areas are very few and in most other cases you can Force Storm the whole room at once if you pick the right spot, so this advantage is more theoretical than practical. But it is more fun than spamming Force powers.

Against non-bosses even a Guardian/WM can cast Stasis, Force Storm and Destroy Droid just as reliably as a flat-out Consular/JM. In fact, even with melee builds I always used Force Storm or Destroy Droids to clear away enemy groups, since killing each one individually and personally takes one combat round per enemy instead of two per room.

Sure, I was being a little facetious. :blink: My experience was that my Guardian/Watchman took a lot longer to kill Traya and her band of lightsabers than my Consular/Jedi Master.

But as you point out, it doesn't matter what (prestige) class you choose, the game is too easy. I was relieved when I received Force Enlightenment: three less buttons to push at the beginning of each fight.

Apart from the lack of character classes to play, there isn't enough depth in story or character development to hold my interest. Heck, I think there's more character development in Rome:Total War than KotOR2! :-"

The biggest disapointment is that, with only a tiny bit more effort, this game could have been very very good. A little more development between the characters -- and especially linking their narratives at the end -- and this could easily have lived up to its promise of a game that could be played through many times. The beginning and the end plot sections are too linear for too long, making the middle almost totally irrelevant.

Incidentally, you didn't indicate what you equate the individual Jedi classes to in AD&D. I think they're a sorta Cleric/Illusionist, Cleric and Paladin/Blackguard -- what do you think?

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Incidentally, you didn't indicate what you equate the individual Jedi classes to in AD&D. I think they're a sorta Cleric/Illusionist, Cleric and Paladin/Blackguard -- what do you think?

Yes, I think there is a lot of similarity between LS Guardian and Paladin or DS Guardian and Blackguard, even to the extent that their magical powers are of the clerical sort (if you associate Consulars and Clerics) and their association with good/evil. I think Consulars are more powerful than any single magic class but Cleric is probably the best equivalent for LS Consular.

In KotOR/TSL there is little difference between classes, actually, it is more like two flavours of Paladins with combat emphasis on one hand (Guardian) and magic focus on the other (Consular). The TSL prestige classes add some interesting aspects but so do the AD&D prestige classes. And the Sentinel isn't a class anyway, just a mix between Guardian and Consular with a few skill points and immunities thrown in for good measure. A good choice for people who want to play both Guardian and Consular at the same time, but not really a class or archetype in its own right (except perhaps in a Scout/Hunter/Ranger way?). The KotOR/TSL classes were probably done this way because you cannot multiclass freely as in other games.

Yes, I think there is a lot of similarity between LS Guardian and Paladin or DS Guardian and Blackguard, even to the extent that their magical powers are of the clerical sort (if you associate Consulars and Clerics) and their association with good/evil. I think Consulars are more powerful than any single magic class but Cleric is probably the best equivalent for LS Consular.

In KotOR/TSL there is little difference between classes, actually, it is more like two flavours of Paladins with combat emphasis on one hand (Guardian) and magic focus on the other (Consular). The TSL prestige classes add some interesting aspects but so do the AD&D prestige classes. And the Sentinel isn't a class anyway, just a mix between Guardian and Consular with a few skill points and immunities thrown in for good measure. A good choice for people who want to play both Guardian and Consular at the same time, but not really a class or archetype in its own right (except perhaps in a Scout/Hunter/Ranger way?). The KotOR/TSL classes were probably done this way because you cannot multiclass freely as in other games.

Yep, which is why IMHO they don't need all six stats. D&D only had four, I think ... STR, DEX, INT, CON, as well as only three alignments: Chaotic, Neutral and Lawful.

That reminds me, aren't the Jedi classes meant to be alignments, too? Consulars more Lawful, Sentinels more Neutral ... Guardians more ... um, Chaotic ... Dang! There goes the Paladin analogy. :-

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

That reminds me, aren't the Jedi classes meant to be alignments, too? Consulars more Lawful, Sentinels more Neutral ... Guardians more ... um, Chaotic ... Dang! There goes the Paladin analogy.  ;)

I think LS and DS map directly to good/evil and the lawful/chaotic axis gets ignored entirely. Or did you ever get a DSP for B&E or stealing stuff? :D

Sure, the set from which you can choose your prestige class depends on your alignment at that point but once you have taken your prestige class there is no ill effect even if your alignment shifts all the way to the opposite side. So you can have an LS master Sith Marauder ( :D ) or a DS master Jedi Watchman.

Paladins, on the other hand, can only advance as Paladins if they are lawful good. If they aren't then the buck stops there. They can advance in another class that is compatible with their then-current alignment but they have to become lawful good again if they want to progress as Paladins.

Regarding the lawfulness of Consulars: in KotOR they were the only Jedi class with thief skills. :wub:

Yep, which is why IMHO they don't need all six stats. D&D only had four, I think ... STR, DEX, INT, CON, as well as only three alignments: Chaotic, Neutral and Lawful.

That reminds me, aren't the Jedi classes meant to be alignments, too? Consulars more Lawful, Sentinels more Neutral ... Guardians more ... um, Chaotic ... Dang! There goes the Paladin analogy.  :thumbsup:

Nope, the original D&D books (the three little brown books ;-)) have STR, INT, WIS, DEX, CON, and CHR. The only classes were "Fighting Men", Magic-Users, and Clerics.

Alignment (Law, "Neutrality", Chaos) was also in the original books. I believe it was the 1st edition of Advanced D&D that added the familiar 3x3 alignment grid (Good <-> Evil, Lawful <-> Chaotic).

The only problem i suppose with my dex method is that the start of the game is a bit harder as you can't kill things one hit due to low level/lack of feats/crap items and you tend to drop hp faster

But as a fighter type, full out dex over str isn't half as good unless you get the finesse feat, as all you are is a giant punching bag.

I did a dex build in both I and II mostly because I am rping and if I were a Jedi I would rather be quick and agile then strong. Anyway my build for II was 12/16/12/10/14/12. My reasons for bringing str to 12 are more to do with rping than anything else. I'd at least wanna beat Yoda in an armwrestle :wacko: ! Other than that, I played a sentinal/watchman and I like these stats for that class. My ending stats were 12/20/14/10/16/12 sans equipment and 16/33/24/15/33/16 fully decked... It was kinda sick really... but I loved it!! I dual wield as well (not the double bladed saber though! I hate those things!) again more for rp reasons than anything else. I just think dual wielding is cool, hardest form to master as well.

My int was low only because I know that the only skills worth increasing are Computers, Repair, Treat Injury, Persuade and Awareness. Your party will make up for the rest. I got enough points to get all these high enough to be truly useful. I put the least into Repair and just used equipment to augment it when I needed it for T3.

As for attacks... well Flurry just rocks when you are dual wielding. I love it. I did have Master Power attack as well but only used it occasionally. Some would say that my template would be boring to play but I kinda like totally pwning everything hehe. :D

Kilkanon

That reminds me, aren't the Jedi classes meant to be alignments, too? Consulars more Lawful, Sentinels more Neutral ... Guardians more ... um, Chaotic ... Dang! There goes the Paladin analogy.  :rolleyes:

Nope, the original D&D books (the three little brown books ;-)) have STR, INT, WIS, DEX, CON, and CHR. The only classes were "Fighting Men", Magic-Users, and Clerics.

Alignment (Law, "Neutrality", Chaos) was also in the original books. I believe it was the 1st edition of Advanced D&D that added the familiar 3x3 alignment grid (Good <-> Evil, Lawful <-> Chaotic).

Well done that player! I must confess to only glimsing the old D&D books; we played AD&D with the new-fangled "Paladins", "Rangers", "Illusionists", "Druids", "Theives", "Assassins" and "Monks"!

I do remember the alignment because it struck me is incomplete (easy to say in hindsight ;-) o:) ... really digged the Gods & Goddesses book, checking out the stats for heroes and gods (good ol' Zeus with straight 25s) ... seems rather quaint now when we have heroes with stats in the forties and fifties. :p

Still, my original point is that the KotOR characters are more like Paladin/Blackgurads and don't provide for any real bredth of character class nor role-playing development.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT