• Buddism
    • Science
    • Dao (Tao)
    • Metaphysics
    • Occultism
    • How many times this guy has gotten laid per week

hehe :D

thought that would get a few laughs :p

someone said that to me ages ago, i just laughed in his face.

lucas has admitted that star wars is just a jumble of every film and religion ever, its hard to pick which is the most prominent

'I did it all for the wookies'

Not really, you really cant prove any religion, not even science. My quote, "true knowledge is knwing that you know nothing" means that everything is based on a first assumption. why does the sun go up? try to prove it and ill do my best to prove to you what is the truth. its an endless debate. someone can say because of the tibetan monks and you can't even disprove it. and they prove it every morning.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

It's sad to think there are probably people out there who would really follow a religion like that.

someone: So, you go to church?

someone else: No actually, i'm a Jedi Knight

you see?

lol it's like the game of gothic..

someone: So, you go to church?

someone else: Of course I do

someone: Oh nice and which is your Biblical favorite passage?

someone else: Exodus 66

someone: Huh? there's only 40

someone else: Yep I am a Necromancer my satan bible has Exudus 66 lol...

if you hear someone saying "I am a jedi or I am necromancer" you should run

probably he would kill ya :ph34r:

Hmm what reliogion do you think most resembles the sith. theres a of existentialism that says that nothing matters, what we do has no effect everything that happens happens and good and bad doesnt matter so do whatever you want. thats not the side i personally beleive by the way. :) im a humanist.

Myspace Website!

My rig

A few minor points --

Lucas's Jedi system resembles Taoism pretty closely, what with the light/dark business and the focus on letting things flow without impediment, instead of trying to use your will on a situation. Taoism and Buddhism are pretty closely related, so there's a strong similarity with Buddhism as well.

Luke's exercise with the blind helmet, blocking the little remote thingy is straight out of Zen Buddhism. In Star Wars it's a magic thing called the force; in Zen Buddhism it's a subtle thing called ki.

The force bears no resemblence in any way to Christianity, except that you're supposed to be nice to people. There's no God mentioned, no heaven, no hell, no resurrection, no judgement day and no Christ. Given these absences, I'm amazed that so many people answered that Jedi was similar to Christianity.

Scientology has no relationship to Taoism, Buddhism or Christianity. It's entierely its own thing. If you believe reports that have leaked, Scientology is based on an elaborate mythology involving aliens invading earth and polluting it with their anger. Scientology gets rid of this alien heritage of anger for you. Doesn't sounds like Jedi or much of anything else to this Lemur.

The quote about being wise if you know nothing sounds like a corruption of Socrates's line about being the wisest man because he knew he knew nothing. Very different meaning. I forget the name of the gent who uses that as a quote, but the philosophy you're using is called sophism. You belive that nothing is provable, and everything is debatable. That's sophism.

Someone else was asking about Zen Buddshim. That's what happened to Buddhism when it hit Japan. It's philosophically the same as general Buddhism, but with a much heavier emphasis on experiential comprehension. In other words, you learn by doing. There is no such thing as Zen study without some sort of activity, whether it's painting, archery, poetry, martial arts or flower arranging.

The code of the Samurai is called bushido. Boiled to its essence, it's all about serving a master without question, and being constantly prepared for death.

Sorry this post is so long -- there were so many questions.

Jedi are taken from asian philosophies. They have nothing common with western

paradigm of a god who is a person and rules the universe.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Scientology is based on an elaborate mythology involving aliens invading earth and polluting it with their anger. Scientology gets rid of this alien heritage of anger for you. Doesn't sounds like Jedi or much of anything else to this Lemur.

They are protecting the world from the darkside of the force :(

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

You belive that nothing is provable, and everything is debatable. That's sophism.

I thought that was "Forums" :(

As for Star Wars, it does look like a bit borrowed here and there. The Midichlorians (Sp?) from Scientology, the "learn by doing" (There is no try, do or do not) from Zen Bhuddism etc. Trying to weigh the different contributors against each other is an exercise in futility.

The Sith does look a bit like Darwinists though :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

and whats the dif between science and scientology?

Are you kidding? Science is based on logic, evidence and what we can perceive. Scientology is based on nothing whatsoever (possibly drug-induced fantasies). Ron Hubbard (the founder) is a grade A moron. If you've ever played Fallout 2, I'm quite sure that the "Hubbology" religion you can find there is a jab at scientology, which would explain why my trigger finger itches so badly whenever I go see them.

I remember we were supposed to do a project in school a long time ago about religions cults, and my group got scientology. Unfortunately, I don't remember much, but I do remember I started out knowing nothing about it, started thinking that it didn't sound so bad, but eventually came out with a burning hatred for Mr. Hubbard.

Edit: Aegis: You don't think that was one of the purposes of the project(s)? =p

Why, Taoism. At least I haven't come across anything more like the Force than the Tao or anything more like the Jedi Code than the Tao Te Ching.

and whats the dif between science and scientology?

Are you kidding? Science is based on logic, evidence and what we can perceive. Scientology is based on nothing whatsoever (possibly drug-induced fantasies). Ron Hubbard (the founder) is a grade A moron. If you've ever played Fallout 2, I'm quite sure that the "Hubbology" religion you can find there is a jab at scientology, which would explain why my trigger finger itches so badly whenever I go see them.

I remember we were supposed to do a project in school a long time ago about religions cults, and my group got scientology. Unfortunately, I don't remember much, but I do remember I started out knowing nothing about it, started thinking that it didn't sound so bad, but eventually came out with a burning hatred for Mr. Hubbard.

oddly enough scientology is DIFFERENT then science. theres also the beleif of Sciencetism which means the belief that science can prove everything. it hasnt yet though. for an example it can't explain how accupuncture works, but only that it has the benefits.

Myspace Website!

My rig

The Sith does look a bit like Darwinists though  :thumbsup:

That's pretty close. There's a philosophy called Social Darwinism that's bang on the money, though. And there were some people who practised it. Very popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Ran along the lines of "I'm rich because I'm more effective, and you're poor because you're being weeded out." One of many philosophies that helped the well-off justify their position. See also Ayn Rand, another favorite for the wealthy and well-connected. Who knew you needed to much philosophical support for being a rich person?

The Sith does look a bit like Darwinists though  ;)

That's pretty close. There's a philosophy called Social Darwinism that's bang on the money, though. And there were some people who practised it. Very popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Ran along the lines of "I'm rich because I'm more effective, and you're poor because you're being weeded out." One of many philosophies that helped the well-off justify their position. See also Ayn Rand, another favorite for the wealthy and well-connected. Who knew you needed to much philosophical support for being a rich person?

Neitzche mainstreamed it. "The strong should impose their will on the weak" and slave master morality. pretty disturbing stuff, hitler Followed it in Mein Kompf(my struggle if you dont speak germen). Good pointing this out. :)

Myspace Website!

My rig

erm, guys

you know there is a jedi religion, that has been running for thousends of years..

its called 'jedism', look it up in google if you dont believe me.

there 'code' consists of being nice to everyone you meet, and being a bubble of light, and all those you interact with come into your bubble and stuff like that, their 'religious place' is some big mountin

i did a project on them in college, quite interesting

"This is the United States link to the growing Jedi Movement, or Jediism, including basic theory, practice and serious application of the Force as a way of life. The UK has recently recognized Jedi Knight as a bonafide religion in a recent census poll. The Way of Jedi transcends the science fiction series of Star Wars. It encompasses many of the same truths and realizations of the major world religions, including Zen Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, Catholicism, and Shinto and is both a healing art and a meditative journey that the aspirant can take to improve every aspect of their life. Light is a major part of the Light Side of the Force as used by those serious in improving their cognitive and emotional balance and well- being. According to scientists, the entire universe is constructed of molecules, cells and electrons. Within the core of the atom is the presence of light, in a perpetual state of flux, This is an integral part of the Force in the physical universe. Yet the Force as we know it is a spiritual energy that surrounds and permeates the universe - in through and around it - and it is to this end that this site was created: to build the Jedi Knight Movement and its sound foundation stone upon stone, and to practice the path of Jedi for generations to come..... "

I wonder when a Sith religion is gonna pop up. At least there'll only be two of them. :D

Metaphysics just means beyond the physical. Every religion is metaphysical, but not all metaphysics are religious. I voted that way because I can see no real, single source for Lucas's Jedi beliefs, so I just lumped them into the very vague column titled "Metaphysics".

I agree with you Von Manstein...but I am curious...why did you took the name Von Manstein, are you keen on Wermacht Generals or Field Marshalls....? In my opinion

I like Steiner better....