Revan vs. Thrawn

Who do you think was bigger strategic genius Grand Admiral Thrawn or Revan?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think was bigger strategic genius Grand Admiral Thrawn or Revan?

• Revan of course (proudly thinking about oneself)!
    • Grand Admiral Thrawn (voting and touching copy of "Heir to the Empire" at the same time)
    • Get a life Nurbs! Alexander the Great would own them both!

Sheesh, Revan got tricked and beaten by a girl... :)

Thrawn pwns!

(not quite sure who Thrawn is, but Revan was a pushover who got replaced by an apprentice with the strategic skills of hun)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Actually, I always thought Revan was surely the commander but never the only grand strategist. I kind of imagined Revan as the big-picture strategist, who wasn't necessary that great at battle tactics (though far better than average) but whose real talent was winning wars, not battles.

In my works I place the Exile as the greatest of those "warrior generals" or those who get down in the neck deep stuff and can pull through in horrible situations as a tactician on the battlefield but who has less understanding of societies, politics, and enemy cultures.

Either way, I think Thrawn and Revan are equal to one another. They both took on opponents who had a great advantage over them. Though... if I had to choose I'd say Thrawn because he took on Force-users while Revan was one.

Mitth'raw'nuruodo vs. Revan? Heck, Revan is made out to be basically Thrawn+Force User... guess he'd win.

More interesting would be to see Revan vs. the not-yet-created love child of Darth Vader's granddaughter Jaina Solo (for lots of Force potential) and Jag Fel (for Wedge-uber-elite pilot skills AND Thrawn-education and -tactics).

Revan would sooo go down. Wonder what they'll whip up as a bad guy in the future books.

Star Wars and its supercharacters. Oh well. Better than superweapons. Kinda. Sometimes. Argh.

More interesting would be to see Revan vs. the not-yet-created love child of Darth Vader's granddaughter Jaina Solo (for lots of Force potential) and Jag Fel (for Wedge-uber-elite pilot skills AND Thrawn-education and -tactics).

Revan would sooo go down.

I dont think Bastila would be happy about that though.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

And Thrawn died at Bilbringi because of betrayal of the Noghri scum!

Erm, he was stabbed in the back by his Noghri bodyguard because Vader and Thrawn systematically exploited the Noghri race.

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

Dear, dear Laozi buddy - you're clearly forgetting the ever grandiose "Death Star vs Unicron" scenario.  :D

Bad form, bad form!  :-

I don't want to sound gay or anything, but unicorns kick ass, I mean come on Clash of the Titans

Pegasus wasn't a unicorn. :ph34r:

Its a quote form the movie Orgasmo, by the guys who make south park

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Dear, dear Laozi buddy - you're clearly forgetting the ever grandiose "Death Star vs Unicron" scenario.  :D

Bad form, bad form!  ;)

I don't want to sound gay or anything, but unicorns kick ass, I mean come on Clash of the Titans

Damn I'm unhip. Never seen Orgazmo, even though I'm a big South Park fan.

Bad form, bad form!  :geek:

Damn I'm unhip. Never seen Orgazmo, even though I'm a big South Park fan.

What the f*** you are talking about, people. ;)

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Hmm. Let's leave Alexander aside for a moment, as he is history's only military commander with a win/lose record of 100%/0%. You're not going to be able to top that.

If you think about it, the way Revan and Thrawn fight is pretty similar, at least as far as I can see. Thrawn's tendency to know exactly what his opponents are going to do - even prod them gently in the direction he wants them to go without them realising - and have a counter ready before they've made their move is the essence of what Sun Tzu meant when he wrote "The highest evolution of warfare is to attack the enemy's plans." Likewise, Revan's final strategy - the colossal trap at Malachor V - is so very unorthodox and 'unfair' I wouldn't blink if I read of Thrawn doing something similar in a novel, especially as Revan seemed to have manouvered the Mandalorians into that battle.

Looking at their failures, they're likewise similar.

Thrawn: had Bilbringi well in hand until the unexpected arrival of Karrde's smugglers, which was totally out of the blue. Was ready to respond to that when he was stabbed in the back when his bodyguard turned against him, which on reflection he might have forseen, given that he confided in Pellaeon that 'I don't know what, but there's something wrong with the Noghri.'

Revan: seemed to be doing pretty well until a bunch of Jedi boarded a command ship and started playing things personal - stopped trying to beat his armies and instead trying to beat him/her. Seemed to be holding his/her own until Malak played his hand, which again Revan really should have seen coming. Not a great deal he could have done about it, of course.

The TRUE decider, I feel, is this:

Revan's emergency plans in case of failure: none that we see. In fact, Rev is pretty lucky there was anything of him/her left.

Thrawn's emergency plans in case of failure: had a clone of himself ready to be revived ten years after his death.

Thrawn wins by default, just because being able to admit the possibility of defeat and death - and PLAN for that - shows him to be the more pragmatic and sensible of the two.

Great analysis.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

The TRUE decider, I feel, is this:

Revan's emergency plans in case of failure: none that we see. In fact, Rev is pretty lucky there was anything of him/her left.

Thrawn's emergency plans in case of failure: had a clone of himself ready to be revived ten years after his death.

Thrawn wins by default, just because being able to admit the possibility of defeat and death - and PLAN for that - shows him to be the more pragmatic and sensible of the two.

Are clones even an option to consider in Revan's times, though? If not, this 'decider' is rather flawed, because there's nothing Revan could do about her/his death, and hence no wonder no plans to 'come back' was ever made by her/him.

It's kinda like saying a modern soldier is better warrior than Roman empire soldier, because modern soldier is very skilled with guns and the ancient soldier isn't.... which happily ignores the fact ancient soldier had no way in heck to learn how to handle guns. :)

(btw, if what someone here wrote is accurate, that Thrawn made some guy from a race he's been systematically exploiting his personal bodyguard ... well, how can anyone so shortsighted be considered a strategist at all, much less a great one? That's material straight for the Evil Overlord list if i ever saw any <_<

The Noghri had been exploited like this for decades and were blisfully unaware of it. If it wasn't for fortunate set of coincidences, they would have remained so. Also, he did figure out there was something wrong with Noghri. He was just too preoccupied by other matters to check it out in time. Another fortunate coincidence.

SODOFF Steam group.

Well, besides the clone, there's the other, broad, sweeping comparison between the two.

Both of them were trying to conquer the Republic in order to use it to fight a greater threat. In Revan's case, the True Sith; in Thrawn's, we never find out, but it's a fair assumption to say it's the Yuuzhan Vong (augh).

Thrawn leaves a legacy of followers sworn to combat this threat in the event of his disappearance. Revan doesn't even seem to tell his/her apprentice what's going on, let alone educate him in what must be done, and Kreia's left to pick up the shattered pieces of whatever plan Revan might have had.

From this, the point about Revan being unable to forsee his or her own defeat and demise is made all the more strongly.

I'm pretty sure that they had clones during the time of Revan considering that we can make clones (though rather primitive compared to Thrawn's clones) and are nowhere near hyperspace travel.

And even if he couldn't than we see no evidence of other things he could have done such as the fact that he could have prepared his mind and soul to become a force spirit similar to Naga Sadow or Freedon Nadd. He coudl have even have bound himself to something like Exar Kun did who was revived four thousand years later at Luke's academy.