Revan vs. Thrawn

Who do you think was bigger strategic genius Grand Admiral Thrawn or Revan?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think was bigger strategic genius Grand Admiral Thrawn or Revan?

• Revan of course (proudly thinking about oneself)!
    • Grand Admiral Thrawn (voting and touching copy of "Heir to the Empire" at the same time)
    • Get a life Nurbs! Alexander the Great would own them both!

I don't think that we know little about Revan. It's all in the Jedi Chronicles. Basically Revan had the luck of stumbling upon Malachor V and its dark powers. He immediately realized the planet's potential. The fact of its discovery was kept secret from the Jedi. Then he used the planet to defeat the Mandalorians and to turn the Jedi into loyal Sith. And that was done right under the Republic's nose!! Thus he managed to create a Sith empire literally from ZERO!!!!!!! He was also ruthless. That is the mark of a true leader. He must hesitate at nothing (especially if he is DS!).

As for the assassination attempt i have to say that without Malak's intervention Bastila and her pathetic Jedi would be history. Of course Revan underestimated Malak at that point and his Force abilities didn't help him foresee the treason. But let's not forget that even the Empreror Sidious failed to "detect" Vader switching sides until it was too late. What can i say? Sh*t happens!

As for Thrawn i have to say this: when something is wrong with your BODYGUARD you replace him. Thrawn knew, yet he didn't see the obvious...

I have to agree, though, that Revan had the advantage of being a Force user himself. He didn't have to worry about assassination attempts. I also agree about Revan not having a "backup plan", although Thrawn's plan is not adequate (my clone is not ME, we have the same DNA).

I think that the match ends in a draw. Well done to both of them, though only one still lives...

The Thrawn trilogy is the worst piece of rubbish I have ever read.

And the new films have proved that he never existed. Yeehaw!

The new films suck compared to the original trilogy. Plus, if you read the Episode3 book you see that Padme dies after childbirth which is inaccurate. Remeber episode6. Remeber how Luke asks Leia if she remebers her REAL mother. And she says YES. How can you remeber someone who died minutes after giving birth to you? How!?! As I just proved, the new movies are just inaccurate crap that have no barring on the EU.

GL's word is law in SW so the films are the ultimate level of canon, all EU is subject to change at the bearded one's whim. Bask in the glory of his retconning!

You proved nothing,there are other inconsistencies in the films as well but none of them are glaring errors and they dont make the prequels crap.

A more accurate version of your closing statement: The EU is crap which has little to no bearing on the films.

He was also ruthless. That is the mark of a true leader. He must hesitate at nothing (especially if he is DS!).

That is a mark of a true tyrant not a leader....

I have to agree, though, that Revan had the advantage of being a Force user himself. He didn't have to worry about assassination attempts

Really? First the jedi come to take him out then Malak turns on him... Does not seem like he/she prevented either act...

As for the assassination attempt i have to say that without Malak's intervention Bastila and her pathetic Jedi would be history.

As if you somehow know this for sure...

I cant beleive Revan is winning. He/she was a person whos tactical abilities are unknown beyond "Revan was great" and that he/she threw away other peoples lives to gain the upper hand. That on its own does not make a great strategist. Plus Revan is the PC and voting for yourself is stupid...

I believe Thrawn held superior tactical expertise,because many many times he can very closely predict what his enemy will do,Revan was good at adaptation,while Thrawn was used to preparing for the most logical strategy to be used against him,and yes,all the Revan votes are not for his tactitians mind,they are all for the mask(it was hard not to vote for him myself)

Had to vote Thrawn. Consider some of the unorthodox tactics he used:

1. Equipped cloaking devices on 5 asteroids, and placed them in orbit of Coruscant. He then mimiced the same action another 295 times, making it appear that 300 asteroids were in place. By forcing Coruscant's planetary shield grid to be active all the time (to prevent an asteroid from hitting the surface), he cut it off from the rest of the galaxy.

2. Stole a number of Mining ships (Mole Miners) from Nomad City. He then filled them with spacetroopers and used them to capture damaged capital ships from a New Republic shipyard. Only Lando Calrissian's knowledge of the Mole Miners override codes kept him from getting away with the ships.

3. Fear and disinformation is a powerful ally if used properly. He slipped 3 cloaked ships under a planet's shields while they were down, then had more ships jump into the system. Using the ships below the shield, he made it appear that his weapons fire was going through the planet's shields. He choose not to obliterrate the population so that they would spread this false information and create panic.

I think Thrawn easily personifies an expression I once saw on a US Marines poster:

Superior thinking has always overwhelmed superior force.

Me...just me :D

I am the grietest :D

yes,you are the greatest moron of the millenia,you,Baley,are the chosen one,you shall bring balance to the intellectuals of this day and age,come forth Baley,and meet your destiny,and at noon we're having coffee with your past,you can swing by if you want.

My vote would go to Revan, siimply because of his master plan to eventually help the republic defend against the outerlying Sith Empire.

When Revan travelled to Malachor V, he discovered the remnants of the Old Sith Empire that threatened to destroy the Republic and the rest of the galaxy. So, in one way or another, light side or dark, he had to protect the Republic. Judging from hints regarding Revan's past life that were dropped by many characters in the game, we can see that Revan had an impressive tactical prowess that could match Thrawn's any day.

1. He left all the planets with strong industrial powers unharmed so that once he conquered the galaxy, he would have a strong infrastructure to defend against the Sith Empire (from Disciple)

2. He used assasination droids to discreetly take out people who would seek to destabalize the galaxy (from HK-47)

3. He focused on converting jedi rather than exterminating them because dark jedi stand a better chance against the Sith Empire than dead jedi (from Kreia and other sources).

4. He became the Sith Lord out of necessity so that he can build a new Sith Empire to fight the old Sith Empire. Thus he must become the galaxy's greatest villain, if he wants to become the greatest hero (from Kreia)

Having to turn to the darkside to save the galaxy was a bold move, and had many risks. A clear one being Malak's unforseen mutiny against Revan. But I'd have to say that based on those things alone that Revan was the better tactician.

My vote would go to Revan, siimply because of his master plan to eventually help the republic defend against the outerlying Sith Empire.

It was a curious way to help it by first beating it into submission...

Me...just me :D

I am the grietest :D

yes,you are the greatest moron of the millenia,you,Baley,are the chosen one,you shall bring balance to the intellectuals of this day and age,come forth Baley,and meet your destiny,and at noon we're having coffee with your past,you can swing by if you want.

Lies...all lies I am better than fictional characters :D

I've even finished Warcraft 2 :D

Hey, this thread is still alive!!!! (w00t) (w00t) (w00t)

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Zhukov would whip them all :D

Seriously though, Alexander definitely has the best record, if not the most glorious end, and can't really be compared to either of the other two. I really can't say either way between Thawn and Revan. We don't have nearly as much specific evidence of Revan's tactical genius as Thawn's.

Alexander did one thing that beats the other two hands down...much of his empire's legacy survived long after his death, and still echos through our world two millenia later...

Hi All,

Was Revan a Great Tactitian or just a superb wielder of the Force? Nothing that happened was not forseen by revan ahead of time, hints of this all through both games (KOTOR1&KOTOR2). As the Emporer in the movies used the force to plan his takeover of the Republic so did Revan. Even Malaks Betrayel has to be expected as this is how Sith opperate, So i would say that anyone who has to use the Force to win battles is not the best tactitian but instead a Great user of the Force.

What makes you think so? :wacko:

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

I voted get a life. I'm on old game spree right now.

Me in the Caesar III game, talk about strategie...

(Untill the enemy legion attacked...My prefects, the n00bs, they could easily handle them, but they attacked one by one. Result? Bloody-ness...Yeah, I was frustrated.. :wacko: )

Greetings,

Saraya