Bioware > Obsidian

Also, SUBPLOTS are important.  I thought the Calo Nord subplot worked wonders for the first KOTOR.  There were waylay attempts in KOTOR II but I think the idea that the same rival keeps appearing is classic and is something we should see again.

Agreed. Although Calo Nord, himself, wasn't one of my favorite characters, I liked the idea behind him.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Star Wars is a classic B movie

Interesting enough, Star Wars was nominated for the 1977 Academy Awards for Best Picture, Director (George Lucas), Writing (George Lucas), and Actor in a Supporting Role Alec Guinness). :D

(Not to mention it won the Oscars for Visual Effects, Sound, Art Direction, Costume Design, Film Editing and Music)

Definately classic B-movie antics, eh Drak? :thumbsup:"

-----

Agreed.  Although Calo Nord, himself, wasn't one of my favorite characters, I liked the idea behind him.

One...

;)

manthing2.jpg

HK-50 I think was supposed to be the Calo Nord of K2...

true in a sense. However, unless I missed something

1) we never find out who is really behind the HK thing...we can assume it was GOT0 but do we really know? and 2) in KOTOR II, your PC must get captured by the Exchange to move the story along so it is not really a subplot but, rather, part of the main plot.

HK-50 I think was supposed to be the Calo Nord of K2...

true in a sense. However, unless I missed something

1) we never find out who is really behind the HK thing...we can assume it was GOT0 but do we really know? and 2) in KOTOR II, your PC must get captured by the Exchange to move the story along so it is not really a subplot but, rather, part of the main plot.

Well I read somewhere here that

If you get enough influence with GO-TO he reveals that he's behind their construction

but I don't have first hand confirmation.

I mentioned that on the spoiler forum as well, I think I remember maybe 6 quests that weren't required to advanced the plot.

Well I read somewhere here that

If you get enough influence with GO-TO he reveals that he's behind their construction

but I don't have first hand confirmation.

I mentioned that on the spoiler forum as well, I think I remember maybe 6 quests that weren't required to advanced the plot.

I think the main subplot in KOTOR 2 was the whole

Atris thing

...that was fine but it was hard to determine the significance of it.

at the end of the day, Atris is nothing but a bitter woman who refuses to teach people about the Force and who thinks she is the Last of the Jedi....and who refuses to acknowledge her love for the Exile

Not nearly as fun as Calo Nord chasing you.

I dont remenber GO-TO saying anything about the HK factory, I think the whole HK-47/GO-TO confrontation that was cut would put GO-TO in control of the HK droids in the story but it would come a bit out of the blue since there would be no direct references to that besides you having to guess that was GO-TO that started the Telos factory when he was the Telos AI.

Then again the storyline is simply in pieces that you have to guess or simply have to reply and go down other options to get the full picture and in my good that simply not good storytelling.

drakron.png

Hmm... must say i liked both KotOR games. The second one though, i liked more.

the first one was very simple. like people said, it has the 'star wars feel' down to a T, but the story was done well and it won me over even though i tend to avoid all SW-related games like a plague they tend to be (i played the old Tie Fighter and Dark Forces games, and everything after these seemed just too lame to waste time on it) But KotOR surprisingly was fun enough to make me want play the sequel.

The second game, is far from the usual black-and-white clear cut Star Wars stuff. It feels grey and broken, and offers very little hope when it tells a story of wounded characters and the republic that's as good as dead... but somehow it manages to not fall into the "i smolder with generic rage" trap as it does so.

And as Kreia would've put it, "for that, i loved it." :">

(even the often criticized ending. true, it's not a typical ending... but in odd way, it fits the rest of the story like a glove... and only makes it more memorable)

(even the often criticized ending. true, it's not a typical ending... but in odd way, it fits the rest of the story like a glove... and only makes it more memorable)

Not so sure that being memorable as perhaps the worst endings of all time is that good of a deal.

The only game that left me with this feeling of having wasted my time after completing it was The Dig. Don't get me wrong I severely enjoyed the game rigth up until you leave Onderon for the second time. After that it felt like a runaway train.

Now if they had killed off everyone (at least all the organics) before you head off after Kreia, and with the killing stroke you too collapse and perhaps struggle to escape, that would have been an ending I could live with, and would have fit with the whole "I felt like my hand was in molten carbonite..." dialogue sequence right from the harbringer. And we're left to wonder if the exile him or herself in fact died.

If yout hink in KOTOR2 all you gonna do is realize the game is, while decently fun after Peragus, is a hack game. Too much effort was put in to rip off of PST, and not enough effort was to pull it off successfully.

I guess i enjoyed K2 more because Planescape was one of very few games that somehow managed to make me stop playing before the end (made it out of the starting church or whatever that was, talked to people around, walked here and there and realized i have absolutely no interest in waiting for the story to develop enough as to actually make me want to follow it) That way, when i played K2 i could take it for what it was, rather than feel depressed how it's a rip off of another game.

Still, seeing how K2 succeeded where Planetscape didn't, guess the former wasn't that horrible and unsuccessful in weaving the story together.

Not so sure that being memorable as perhaps the worst endings of all time is that good of a deal.

I liked the feel it left me with. ^_^ It gave no real closure, no consolation, no usual pat on the back with a "you did well soldier, now let the good men and women take over and happily breed like rabbits in the sunset" kind of deal. But somehow it managed to make me feel a little like my character was perhaps supposed to feel. I don't recall another game that managed that, and this makes it memorable to me...

I liked the feel it left me with. ^_^ It gave no real closure, no consolation, no usual pat on the back with a "you did well soldier, now let the good men and women take over and happily breed like rabbits in the sunset" kind of deal. But somehow it managed to make me feel a little like my character was perhaps supposed to feel. I don't recall another game that managed that, and this makes it memorable to me...

Well I guess if they didn't put so much focus on gaining influence with characters to get enough plot details to halfways understand it, the ending may not have left me sitting stunned, looking at my monitor in disbelief that this was truly it, the end of the game,. I understand that they wanted a cliffhanger, Empire Strikes Back ending, which is fine, but at least we knew that last state of the main characters at the end.

And come to think about it, The Dig was also a LucasArts game as well (I think anyway).