Question for the EU canon lawyers

I have a question...

What's the big deal about being cannon?

It means you The Man himself's official blessing to enjoy a SW product and brag about it with the rest of your male-exclusive SW nerd community.

What is the name of the comic/book wherein Bane creates the title of "Darth".

Jedi vs Sith, methinks. But you don't really want to read that one. It features some of the stupidest ideas to ever make it into a SW licensed product, ever.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Jedi vs Sith, methinks. But you don't really want to read that one. It features some of the stupidest ideas to ever make it into a SW licensed product, ever.

Worse than TOTJ? Begads no.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I have a question...

What's the big deal about being cannon?

It means you The Man himself's official blessing to enjoy a SW product and brag about it with the rest of your male-exclusive SW nerd community.

What is the name of the comic/book wherein Bane creates the title of "Darth".

Was it the half man half animals?

The children fighting?

The flying Tribbles?

THe thought bomb?

And how exactly does something become canon, eh? It all started out somewhere. I mean, the Exar Kun comics are considered canon, but why are they necessarily better than something else?

As for the Darth title, is it not possible that Bane rediscovered it? Or that he was named for ancient tradition?

LV

The people at Lucasfilms sit around while drunk, flipping a coin about what stuff to consider canon and what not to.

Exar Kun got heads, Revan got tails.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Of cannons and canon...

It seems we are now in danger of being shipwrecked on the undead topic of canon.

A few words since this is a topic I have frequently seen become a severe cause of conflict under circumstances that have nothing to do with Star Wars...

1. Being considered canon in no way makes something better or worse than anything else. Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, after all, and only the consumer/reader/gamer/whoever can decide whether something is better than something else. If you liked a DS female Revan better than canon's LS male Revan, then you're not wrong - canon doesn't exist to ruin your enjoyment.

2. Canon exists only to establish the foundation of continuity. In this case it means that if it ever becomes relevant in official Star Wars (which I find to be quite unlikely), then Revan will be a LS male.

Given that Revan is a CRPG character, whose gender and alignment is decided by the player, I'm rather certain that Lucasarts would go to great lengths to avoid ever defining either of these traits in any product. More likely, Revan will be treated as gender-neutral (as in "who knows?") and references will probably point to events that either came before the events of the game or events that were inevitable in the game. Revan's fall to the dark side and his role in the Mandalorian Wars could be referenced, as could his discovery and use of the Starforge, his capture and "reprogramming" by the Jedi council, and his victory over Malak. What he did with the Starforge after defeating Malak would most likely not be mentioned, however.

And since everything in KotOR lies after the Tales of the Jedi stories and several thousand years before anything else, it is exceedinly unlikely that Revan - or the Exile for that matter - will ever matter to Star Wars continuity.

3. Continuity matters. Though we might all prefer to have Revan's gender and alignment remain uncertain, we cannot argue that it should always be so for characters whose backgrounds are uncertain. There have been light/dark-side choices in several Star Wars computer games so far. Are these all to be left open? They could be, but then what would happen if it ever became necessary to establish these details officially? I find it better and more fair to state up front what that choice will be, if it ever becomes relevant.

Now, we can all argue whether the right choices are made in canon. The simple fact is that some of us will like the choices and some of us won't. Given that canon must make two choices for the main characters of the KotOR games out of eight possibilities, chances are that most of us will not like the choice. Well, keep in mind that at times it is simply more important that a choice - any choice - is made rather than none at all. Since George Lucas created Star Wars, he alone decides what goes and what doesn't in Star Wars. I still find that better than any alternative I can think of.

Other than that there is little argument in discussing canon, I think. As I said, some of us will like canon, and some of us won't. Chances are that most of us won't like something in canon. But canon at least establishes a common ground for Star Wars.

Discussing it beyond that is an undead thing because it will never lead us to any resolution or closure - we might just as well discuss whether Episode I sucked or rocked, whether Jar Jar is a cool and funny character, or whether KotOR2 was better than KotOR1, as neither discussion will lead us to any meaningful or enlightening conclusion.

Given that Revan is a CRPG character, whose gender and alignment is decided by the player, I'm rather certain that Lucasarts would go to great lengths to avoid ever defining either of these traits in any product. More likely, Revan will be treated as gender-neutral (as in "who knows?") and references will probably point to events that either came before the events of the game or events that were inevitable in the game. Revan's fall to the dark side and his role in the Mandalorian Wars could be referenced, as could his discovery and use of the Starforge, his capture and "reprogramming" by the Jedi council, and his victory over Malak. What he did with the Starforge after defeating Malak would most likely not be mentioned, however.

And since everything in KotOR lies after the Tales of the Jedi stories and several thousand years before anything else, it is exceedinly unlikely that Revan - or the Exile for that matter - will ever matter to Star Wars continuity.

However, the KOTOR games have literally turned everything upside down. No, not for the guy who has every comic and EU novel ever published but for the majority...the peasants with pitchforks. Revan has given them purpose and confidence :D .

I think there will be tremendous pressure to have someone write a comic or novel series on Revan. Maybe not right now, but I suspect it will happen. After all, why wouldn't you want to right about the guy who invented the Darth title :D ?

Basically, I don't think LA had any idea that people would become so attached to this character but now the genie is out of the bottle, you might say and they keep attaching more and more significance to the character.

Basically, I don't think LA had any idea that people would become so attached to this character but now the genie is out of the bottle, you might say and they keep attaching more and more significance to the character.

Of course people become attached to Revan. Revan is their own character, after all. This is the logical consequence of putting him at the center of the role-playing experience, even if it is one as limited as KotOR is... I mean, the storyline is exceedingly linear and forced, and the basic game mechanics from the d20 are extremely limiting and inflexible as character-creation goes, but I disgress...

Of course people become attached to Revan. Revan is their own character, after all. This is the logical consequence of putting him at the center of the role-playing experience, even if it is one as limited as KotOR is... I mean, the storyline is exceedingly linear and forced, and the basic game mechanics from the d20 are extremely limiting and inflexible as character-creation goes, but I disgress...

No, I don't think it's because Revan is our character. I think it's because Revan is an almighty, unstoppable behemoth of destruction (among other things), and that my friend, is a great ego booster.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

No, I don't think it's because Revan is our character. I think it's because Revan is an almighty, unstoppable behemoth of destruction (among other things), and that my friend, is a great ego booster.

Well the Exile is way more powerful. I'm attached to Revan becuse of the whole "bad guy who redeemed himself while rescuing the damsel in distress" thing. I tend to favor bad guys who show some humanity in movies, TV, or video games.

Yeah, neither do I. But you started it. I don't think you can say any one is more powerful than the other, anyway. There's no way to compare them.

Agreed. We like Revan because:

1) he has a cool name.

2) he has a cool mask.

3) he hangs out with Bastila!

4) he is one of the greatest Force users ever.

5) he is one of the greatest military strategists ever.

6) he is great with lightsaber.

and, of course: 7) we ARE Revan!

• 5 weeks later...