Slight perfomance boost when EAX is turned off

Simple. I thought that it might help boost the fps a bit if i turned off eax in the ingame options. And it worked. Not a huge boost but a tiny bit smoother I think. If it works for you then great if not then nevermind.

It really depends on your soundcard. Creative cards like the Live 5.1, Audigy and Audugy 2 all have hardware support for eax so there should be little or no performance hit. Other cards like the Live 24bit and Audigy LS (and all the onboard soundcards) process eax in software mode, which really does kill performance.

It really depends on your soundcard.  Creative cards like the Live 5.1, Audigy and Audugy 2 all have hardware support for eax so there should be little or no performance hit.  Other cards like the Live 24bit and Audigy LS (and all the onboard soundcards) process eax in software mode, which really does kill performance.

I also found that reducing both the 2D and 3D voices to 16 (16x2=32 channels) helps make both KOTOR and TSL run much better.

However, to get both games to keep those settings, you need to make your swkotor.ini files "read only" or else the game just puts in their default values. This might help as well...

When I had the EAX on, there was horrible 'static' noises whenever blaster fire occured. The official troubleshooting guide from LucasArts said that turning down the volume would fix this, but it did nothing for me. As soon as I turned the EAX off, however, I had no more of the terrible static noises.