Prequel Battle Meditation

I've watched EP I to make sure but it looks to me like in the scene with Darth Maul, that Qui-Gon used Battle Meditation when he was waiting for the force field to go so he could finish the battle (I think that

Statemeant: you cannot stop me you cannot harm me, in order to do that I would need to stop being one of you; I have concluded that this is something I am willing to accept!

In short you have just shown me your soft meatbag-like underbellies and said

Could be true.

First I thought that he was in a healing trance since at the time of TPM we all played Jedi Knihgt Jedi Outcast and in that game you needed to meditate when your skill with healing wasn't high enough.

Battle meditation though, well it didn't work and in the following battle Qui Con was killed while Obiwan only killed Maul through trickery. Mauls overconfidence was his weakness.

Master Vandar lives!

Maul was cool. I was so sad to see him go, 'part ways' so to speak.

He got too overconfident in the end, though I wonder why he didn't just hold his lightsaber horizontally in front of him when Obiwan jumped up from the chasm then did absolutely nothing while Obiwan took his time jumping and flipping and landing then igniting his lightsaber and performing a horizontal slash.

Obviously his connection with the Force wasn't as strong as we thought if he couldn't feel the tiniest trace of foreboding.

Actually, in the graphic novel Yoda said that Qui Gon was the greatest lightsaber wielder of his generation, and battle meditation doesn

Statemeant: you cannot stop me you cannot harm me, in order to do that I would need to stop being one of you; I have concluded that this is something I am willing to accept!

In short you have just shown me your soft meatbag-like underbellies and said

You see, Qui Gon is something like level 15 watchman, while maul is like level 18 mauarader. Qui Gon was able to get maul down to 10 vp before he bite the dust. Obi-Wan, who's also probably has watchman level (so sneak attack), was able to jump up and win the initiative roll, hence catching maul flat-footed. Since maul is flat-footed, obi-wan was able to land a sneak attack, taking maul below 0 vp and killing him.

And since Qui Gon is dead, Obi-Wan got to keep all the sweet experience point for himself. And due to the huge level difference, it will be tons of xp :thumbsup:"

For those of us who are old, and remember a time when there was a Star Wars roleplaying before the D20 mania, one of the main force powers a Jedi used was meditation, not battle meditation, just plain old meditation. the Jedi would focus themselves and center their ability in the force. The opposing Darkside power was Rage, which I think was potrayed quite well, as Qui-gon focusing himself in quietitude while Maul was rampaging around like a caged animal.

You see, Qui Gon is something like level 15 watchman, while maul is like level 18 mauarader.  Qui Gon was able to get maul down to 10 vp before he bite the dust.  Obi-Wan, who's also probably has watchman level (so sneak attack), was able to jump up and win the initiative roll, hence catching maul flat-footed.  Since maul is flat-footed, obi-wan was able to land a sneak attack, taking maul below 0 vp and killing him.

And since Qui Gon is dead, Obi-Wan got to keep all the sweet experience point for himself.  And due to the huge level difference, it will be tons of xp  :thumbsup:"

Actually if I recall correctly Qui-Gon Jinn was 15th lvl, Maul 12th lvl and Obi-Wan was 6th lvl.....

But It's been awhile so....

"If at first you don't succeed... So much for skydiving." - Henry Youngman.

I like the battle meditation idea - Maul maybe made a will save against it :D

I think qui gonn lost probably because saber combat wasnt his forte and had never fought a sith (maul can be thought of as a marauder)

Obi wan is just plain lucky :thumbsup:

I agree, and just a thought..if you actually consider the jedi classes in KOTOR, Qui- Gon would be classified as a Jedi Consular, like you said, he didn't dedicate all his time for combat training.He did though solve problemas using the force on Tatooine...Obi-wan on the other hand would be a Jedi guardian because not only he fights very well with a saber, but he's always protecting people..

Battle meditation was supposed to be a rare force ability that only a few could understand.

Not something that can just be picked up on "level up", makes the whole point of Bastila in KotOR useless.

Besides Qui- Gon shutting down the lightsaber and wait in meditation was just to show how the jedi are diferent from the sith since Maul spends his time pacing around and hitting the force field with his lightsaber.

drakron.png

Besides Qui- Gon shutting down the lightsaber and wait in meditation was just to show how the jedi are diferent from the sith since Maul spends his time pacing around and hitting the force field with his lightsaber.

Exactly. Calm, Serenity, and Peace (LS) vs. Raw, unbridled and anxious rage (DS).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I always thought that Qui Gon was more of a Consular type Jedi and comparing to KOTOR his prestigue class would be like a Jedi Watcheman because he used to force alot, but he also planned things out and used his brains......

Obi wan would be a Jedi Guardian, like someone said above because he used combat alot throughout his jedi days and then he eventually became like his former master and took on the watchmen role, because as we know Obi Wan, as he gets older, is a perfect mix of combat and force and secrecy and stuff.....always following leads and figuring things out from the inside before he takes physical outside action...like in attack of the clones and in the new hope.....

Exactly. Calm, Serenity, and Peace (LS) vs. Raw, unbridled and anxious rage (DS).

and who won?

:p

-----

The first time i saw the movie i knew nothing off any rpg star wars...my idea was that he was meditating, just meditating to calm himself and etc...

also i believe that he lost just because Maul used a trick and hitted him on the head. It wasn't of lack of expertise, Maul just cheated... :wub:

You see, Qui Gon is something like level 15 watchman, while maul is like level 18 mauarader.  Qui Gon was able to get maul down to 10 vp before he bite the dust.  Obi-Wan, who's also probably has watchman level (so sneak attack), was able to jump up and win the initiative roll, hence catching maul flat-footed.  Since maul is flat-footed, obi-wan was able to land a sneak attack, taking maul below 0 vp and killing him.

And since Qui Gon is dead, Obi-Wan got to keep all the sweet experience point for himself.  And due to the huge level difference, it will be tons of xp  :wub:"

Actually if I recall correctly Qui-Gon Jinn was 15th lvl, Maul 12th lvl and Obi-Wan was 6th lvl.....

But It's been awhile so....

Hm... if that's ture, either Maul is horriblly main-maxed, or Qui-Gon Jinn uses a horriblly underpowered build.

If one were going to translate that fight to Star Wars D20, it would have been Maul that go lucky unless Obi-Wan got a MASSIVE crit to Maul's body points. Both Qui Gon and Maul were low on vitality points, and Maul hit first. When he went up against Obi-Wan, he made a last ditch force use where he ran out of vitality pointes, so when Obi-Wan's attack got through, he didn't have any defense left.

And since Qui Gon is dead, Obi-Wan got to keep all the sweet experience point for himself.  And due to the huge level difference, it will be tons of xp  ;)"

Now I understand! :D

I always thought that Qui Gon was more of a Consular type Jedi and comparing to KOTOR his prestigue class would be like a Jedi Watcheman because he used to force alot, but he also planned things out and used his brains......

Obi wan would be a Jedi Guardian, like someone said above because he used combat alot throughout his jedi days and then he eventually became like his former master and took on the watchmen role, because as we know Obi Wan, as he gets older, is a perfect mix of combat and force and secrecy and stuff.....always following leads and figuring things out from the inside before he takes physical outside action...like in attack of the clones and in the new hope.....

IMO, Qui-Gon Jinn was a Consular/Jedi Master.

Obi-Wan has technical skills *making* him Sentinel/Watchman.

Maul, Marauder, no doubt.

I wasn't surprised that Quigon died. If you read the Jedi Apprentice series, which takes place before Episode I and tells you what happened between Obi-Wan and Quigon, you'll see why. It seems that in a lot of the books, Obi-Wan is the one who kicks the most a** in battle.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

Actually, let me check the Core Rulebook...

It doesn't say what Qui-Gon is though it definitely lists Obi-Wan as a Jedi Guardian. But I agree on the Watchman part, though I think prior to being a watchman Qui-Gon is more likely to have been a Sentinel or a Guardian than a Consular. He's too rebellious and relies too much on his instincts and feelings to be a Consular, who is more contemplative.

I think Battle Meditation seems like a good explanation for what he did.

It doesn't say what Qui-Gon is though it definitely lists Obi-Wan as a Jedi Guardian. But I agree on the Watchman part, though I think prior to being a watchman Qui-Gon is more likely to have been a Sentinel or a Guardian than a Consular. He's too rebellious and relies too much on his instincts and feelings to be a Consular, who is more contemplative.

I think Battle Meditation seems like a good explanation for what he did.

So Obi-Wan Kenobi is Guardian/Watchman? Tech skills and held his own against Maul in a lightsaber duel. Nice. :devil:

Don't forget the fact that Qui-Gon Jinn had been assigned to a diplomatic mission on Naboo at the start of Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace, though. I've heard that a few of the novels also had him going on diplomatic missions frequently, and, of course, Jedi Consulars were said to have played the "diplomatic" role of the Jedi Order. He seemed quite "in tune" with the Force as well, the notable difference being that he simply contemplated a different aspect of its nature than the other Jedi Masters. I think he was definetly a Jedi Consular, but I'm not really sure as to whether he would fit the bill as a Jedi Watchman or as a Jedi Master for his Prestige Class...

Based on Obi-Wan Kenobi's "investigative" mission to Kamino and Geonosis in Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones, I generally thought of him as a Jedi Sentinel, which were said to be basically the "detectives" of the Jedi Order. With the Core Rulebook's words and the introduction of Prestige Classes, though, I guess he was a Jedi Guardian... Definetly a Jedi Watchman for his Prestige Class, though. I would think of him as a Jedi Guardian during his time as a Padawan in Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace, then as a Jedi Watchman during his time as an actual Jedi Knight (or Master?) in Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones and so on.

Regarding Darth Maul, I think it could be argued that he might've been a Sith Assassin, rather than a Sith Marauder, since he did seem to play a sort of "assassin" role for Darth Sidious... He struck me as more of a sort of secretive assassin-style fighter, not a "powerhouse/tank"-style warrior. I mean, he was obviously good with a lightsaber, but so would be Sith Assassins...

I do think he was both a Powerhouse Sith Marudar and a Powerhouse Sith Assassin.

First his training was pure DS. So He cant take any of the Normal Jedi and Jedi Presitage classes.

if he was a Jedi knight, he would be a DS Jedi Guardian for his saber skills and Sith Assassin for his Sneak Attack.

He would be similar to my Guardian/Sith Assassin that both of them are very antisocial DSers.