Idle Thumbs' KotOR II review

That's flame-baiting...

No , just common sense.

I happen to think the PC version was more trouble than it was worth. And a hefty exclusive bonus from Bill would have made up for not having one.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

The vocal minority? :D

Yes, but on a message board that can snowball quite quickly. Prior to the PC release everyone was happily playing KOTOR II without worrying about missing content. Now it's become a fixation for the game being "unfinished".

no doubt a bit of a headache for Obsidian and LA as well as the whole after product patch thing which is not something that you ever need to worry about on a console release.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I think they should have nixed the X-Box version and focused on the PC version.

Where have 90% of the problems and bad press come from ?

The X-Box version caused the rushed release, so therefore you could argue that all problems stem from the X-Box, whether directly or indirectly. :thumbsup:"

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The X-Box version caused the rushed release, so therefore you could argue that all problems stem from the X-Box, whether directly or indirectly.  :blink:"

Heres an interesting question then. If it had been a case of dropping the PC version, do you think that the tight deadline would have made the slightest difference?

Dropping the Xbox version was never going to be a possibility anyway.

I wonder how developers feel about the multi configeration PC these days, because I've come to see it as a waste of time and effort which will invariably mean delaying your next project while you patch the last one.

Which considering that a couple of years ago I was buying a PC game a week on average. Is a bit of a shift.

478327[/snapback]

That's sort of true. I know I've become slightly obsessed about the possiblity of missing content, though. Haven't had many problems with the game itself, though. It's awesome. :D

Thats the problem. Because it would always "make the game better" because thats what people have decided. Whether or not it actually would dosnt seem to matter anymore. Rather than just enjoying the game, people are now looking for other missing content. I'm really glad I played it in ignorance of all this :blink:

I'm still mystified as to why it would be left behind

478327[/snapback]

The X-Box version needs patching too. They just can't really do it since there is no Live connection for the game. The headaches are coming from LA's inept handling of the situation.

LA rushed the game out.

LA's QA for the game failed.

LA is now holding the patch for whatever reason.

LA is the one not allowing Obsidian to finish the game.

If peeps at LA weren't being a bunch of incompetent jackarses about the release of the game, rushing it out before completion, and so forth we wouldn't have half the problems we have right now.

Don't blame the PC gamers. Blame the publishers who are acting stupid.

Heres an interesting question then. If it had been a case of dropping the PC version, do you think that the tight deadline would have made the slightest difference?

The X-Box version is just as bugged, and unlike the PC version, no chance of patching.

And the PC version had very little to do with the rush to meet the Christmas season.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The X-Box version needs patching too.  They just can't really do it since there is no Live connection for the game.  The headaches are coming from LA's inept handling of the situation.

LA rushed the game out.

LA's QA for the game failed.

LA is now holding the patch for whatever reason.

LA is the one not allowing Obsidian to finish the game.

If peeps at LA weren't being a bunch of incompetent jackarses about the release of the game, rushing it out before completion, and so forth we wouldn't have half the problems we have right now.

Don't blame the PC gamers.  Blame the publishers who are acting stupid.

Well of the three consoles the Xbox has the lowest standards of quality in my experience. However KOTOR II seems to work fine many of the reported errors are due to people arsing around with their Boxes which is a naughty thing to do. Or something as simple as a bad disk, it happens,and I dont know of any store who wont change it for you.

I'm not blaming the PC gamers, this isnt about them. It's about the PC as a machine and it's failings. And how those failings have implications on future projects because your still patching up the last one to shut people up.

478327[/snapback]

The X-Box version is just as bugged, and unlike the PC version, no chance of patching.

Thats nonsense I'm afraid. The Xbox version is no where near as bugged.

If your talking about trivial little things like duplicate lightsabers, not really that important in the big picture.

478327[/snapback]

Well of the three consoles the Xbox has the lowest standards of quality in my experience. However KOTOR II seems to work fine many of the reported errors are due to people arsing around with their Boxes which is a naughty thing to do. Or something as simple as a bad disk, it happens,and I dont know of any store who wont change it for you.

I'm not blaming the PC gamers, this isnt about them. It's about the PC as a machine and it's failings. And how those failings have implications on future projects because your still patching up the last one to shut people up.

Well, if LA had a competent QA staff and gave the game another 6 months of development time maybe they wouldn't be patching the game now. Publishers need to learn that a game needs to be release when it is done.

Thats nonsense I'm afraid. The Xbox version is no where near as bugged.

If your talking about trivial little things like duplicate lightsabers, not really that important in the big picture.

Have you SEEN the X-Box forum? :blink:

A lot of complaints are about the game not even loading, let alone "minor" problems. I'd say that's just as bad as the PC issues.

Well, if LA had a competent QA staff and gave the game another 6 months of development time maybe they wouldn't be patching the game now.  Publishers need to learn that a game needs to be release when it is done.

Highly unlikely...

Can you think of one single example of a PC game which didnt need to patched recently? Take KOTOR II, Bioware wasnt rushed, the Xbox version shipped with a bloody huge gamestopper and the PC version required three patches.

The truth of it is, that no matter how good your Q&A nothing says finding bugs like releasing the game to 1000s' of people who just love to complain.

478327[/snapback]

Have you SEEN the X-Box forum?  :blink:

A lot of complaints are about the game not even loading, let alone "minor" problems.  I'd say that's just as bad as the PC issues.

If the game wont load on the Xbox there are two reasons.

A. Bad Box

B. Bad Disk

Thats it, simple as that. No my video card might be incompatible , or my drivers need upgrading.

most people with common sense would take the game back and or get their box checked.

478327[/snapback]

If the game wont load on the Xbox there are two reasons.

A. Bad Box

B. Bad Disk

It's still a rampant frequency. So I'd say that constitutes a bigger problem than you want to admit.

How so ? None of those things have anything to do with the publisher or the developer. Going to blame Obsidian for your Xbox going belly up ? Well you could try, but you would be laughed at.

Bad Box , well if it's out of warranty your out of luck but it's hardly the games fault.

Bad disk, it happens take it back problem solved. Again nothing to do with developer or publisher. You get a new disk problem solved.

What exactly is a rampant frequency anyway? Just how many bad disk posts have their been. Anyone who even hints at a modded Xbox can be ignored by the way. As can anyone trying to run the game from the HD none of those things are supported or intended and you do them at your own risk.

478327[/snapback]