Two seperate games?

I remember one of the mantras when KOTOR I came out was that

you get twice the content because of the ability to play both

dark side and light side.

Well, this is true to a point. But much of the content is the same

or altered only slightly. I have to say that the stories have done

a decent job of working whether you are dark side or light. But this

has also created the need for a major "twist" in the story (i.e. the

amnesiac in KOTOR I, the "echo" in KOTOR II).

I like the non-linear, enigmatic presentation style in KOTOR II but

I personally want to see the stories themselves be a little more straightforward.

This could be done, I believe, by having two different games:

KOTOR III blue and KOTOR III red. That way, the LS guy has 40 hours of

content that are, for the most part, quite a bit different than the 40 hours

of content that the DS guy has.

I normally play LS males. I just got finished playing KOTOR II as DS just to see

the differences. The differences worked but they were, essentially, only cosmetic differences. They had to do it that way because it is the same game using the same "twist" to move it along.

Would it not make sense to have a much different experience if you are DS than if you are light? For instance, I like the idea of starting out as a padawan apprenticed to the Exile (who is trying to rebuild the Jedi Council). But DS players might not like that. Understood.

By the same token, if you are DS, you still have to fight the Sith in the two games we already have. Why? Because the "Sith" are the antagonist. Would it not be better for the DS guy to have the Republic/Jedi as the antagonist? Would it not make sense for DS to be able to cooperate with the Sith if he/she wants?

These kinds of stories would be tight and allow for all kinds of intrigue but they are two seperate games and would have to be sold as such. The only way you are going to get 80-100 hours of content is to buy two seperate shrinkwraps. And I would be in favor of that. I would buy the LS copy and rent the DS copy. Oh, yes, I'm an Xboxer.

i totally agree with you on just about every point made

yes the storyline is great , but it seems that it was the main focus

no real differences being any Jedi class

no real difference going thru light or dark sides

exactly, when you get to the same place whether you are Sir Galahad or Satan incarnate, I think we have something that is starting to wear a little thin.

again, Bioware and Obsidian did a really good job with this formula but it will only go so far IMO.

yes the storyline is great , but it seems that it was the main focus

ummm as far as I know thats what makes an RPG so good is the fact that the whole focus of the game is based on a story and the choices you make during the game play (though some are not directly shown at the end) and not on mindless violence (like say a first person shooter). If you were to take the focus away from the story it wouldn't be an RPG anymore it would just be a FPS with different classes... really kind of a lame idea when you think of it.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

ummm as far as I know thats what makes an RPG so good is the fact that the whole focus of the game is based on a story and the choices you make during the game play (though some are not directly shown at the end) and not on mindless violence (like say a first person shooter). If you were to take the focus away from the story it wouldn't be an RPG anymore it would just be a FPS with different classes... really kind of a lame idea when you think of it.

Well, yes, the story is the main focus but giving the PC options, REAL OPTIONS, is what makes the difference between an RPG and an action game or FPS.

By having more options, such as who stays on your ship, you help write the story and not just follow the story. In Balder's Gate Dark Alliance, you followed the story. It did not matter what you said or what your attitude was, you ended up dealing with the same people and accomplishing that same objective. That is what happens in a linear action game. That is not what is supposed to happen in an RPG.

There is certainly a balance here: I do not want the KOTOR games to end up like Morrowind (though I like those kinds of games too). There is nothing wrong with the story going in a certain direction but my point is that a Jedi Consular does not take the same path as a Sith Lord, they do not have the same mentor, they do not hang out with the same people, and they should not end up in the same place. AND....THEY ARE NOT BOTH TRYING TO DEFEAT THE SITH!