Yet Another Week and No Patch

Can a new developer survive when up against the needs and demands of a large publisher?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Can a new developer survive when up against the needs and demands of a large publisher?

• Unconditional yes.
    • Yes, but only if they create shooters.
    • Yes, but only if they have steaming gobs of cash to begin with.
    • Yes, but only if their name starts with the letter "b" (Blizzard or Bioware for full credit; Black Isle or Bethesda for partial credit).
    • Maybe.
    • Probably not -- the publisher will relentlessly crush the life out of them.
    • Forget the publisher, new devs should just do online distribution.
    • All hail the mighty publisher! Bow before the God that puts boxes on shelves! Developers should lick the ground the publisher walks upon!
    • We're all doomed.

I'm getting sick of waiting for this patch. I just saw a documentary on Lucasarts on G4 Tech TV, and they kept saying that they care so much about their customers. I was laughing my a** off when they said that. If they care so much, why did they rush a great game, thus turning it into a bugged up piece of trash? I blame Lucas, not Obsidian, for the condition of this game.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

I think thats good that someone created topic about the same thing, maybe the'll see that forum members are preparing an asassination plan for new management of LucasArts :-" (OOOPS it should remain secret, sorry!)

Im just happy that I haven't bought it yet. If theres no patch , im not buying KOTOR2 beta version o:) (It doesn't change fact that its a great game, but those bugs!!! *auch!* )

And i dont understand one thing, why XBOX version isn't bugged so much(it was relased earlier!)?

xbox has less bugs, but less chance of getting a patch of any kind, content or otherwise (if there ever will be one) thats the trade-off i guess. I would've bought PC version if my computer would have stood any chance of playing it reasonably.

"I blame Lucas, not Obsidian, for the condition of this game."

Great! Then you praise LA for the great characetr known as Kreia as well as the other cool npcs, as well as nice the role-playing, the solid influence system (which needs improvement), and all the other good stuff too. :thumbsup: LA did a wonderful job with the writing too! Not perfect; but good. :huh:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well, it was LA that forced Obsidian to work on a schedual that didnt allow for any extensive QA.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

And i dont understand one thing, why XBOX version isn't bugged so much(it was relased earlier!)?

Because the Xbox is a known platform. Every Xbox is the same when it comes to running games. Dont have to worry about configuration conflicts, optimising so it will run on lesser systems with lower graphics, variable resolutions etc. Game works on Xbox A will work on box B-Z as long as they havnt been changed, their optics damaged, or you have a bad disk.

You also dont have a ton of crap on your Xbox which you might have on your PC (and not even know it).

Modded Xboxes have issues, as does running the game from the HD but neither of those things are officially supported. So anyone having problems there , out of luck.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Bioware, Blizzard, Bethesda...still going.

Black Isle folded.

Don't know if B for Black Isle gets credit, in this sense.

What the President meant to say ...

Um, what I was thinking was that Black Isle folded and Bethesda makes sub-par RPGs. Two different causes, both worth partial credit. But I freely admit, it was confusingly phrased. And I was mixing up the real and undeniable (Black Isle gone bye-bye) with the personal and prejudicial (I don't much like the Morrowind games).

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Bethesda is worthless with their elder scrolls plagiated totally from forgotten realms setting.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Modded Xboxes have issues, as does running the game from the HD but neither of those things are officially supported. So anyone having problems there , out of luck.

You underestimate the xbox modded community. Most of the probelms related to the hard drive has been fixed. The only problem is the xbox loads the game to fast causing problems with the random items :) . I played off the disk and HD and had very little problem. I had the T3 glitch once but I saved before that point and reloaded no problem after that.

I love FR setting and don't like its clone that elder scrolls is.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Patch... what is this patch you speak of? That name, it sounds familar... I'm sure I've heard of a "patch" before, but where? Isn't it some mythological creature? :)

Edit: Yes, I remember the story now. A peasant and his family were being threatened by a hideous monster. This monster was very unstable, and commanded an army of horrible giant bloodthirsty bugs. He also carried a big sword and was fond of cutting things. After threatening the poor peasant, this monster promised to return and destroy him and his family.

The peasant didn't know what to do, but then the Patch came. An incredibly powerful being, the Patch had a special talent for destroying bugs. It was even rumored, or perhaps at least hoped, that this Patch had the ability to heal cuts and other minor wounds. The Patch promised to protect the peasant and is family when the monster returned.

But sadly, the as the date of the promised return of the monster came, the Patch got distracted. Held up, it was unable to reach the peasant's house in time. The peasant and his family were devoured by the monster's army of bugs...

:D