Criterion for the $EXILE crystal updates?

Does anybody know what the exact criteria are for upgrading the pet crystal (a.k.a. the $YOURNAME lightsabre crystal)?

So far I have never managed to upgrade it fully. In my last game I made it a point to get the crystal as early as possible (lvl 13, first thing after Telos) and to talk to Kreia about it at each level-up. I did not make notes at which time the upgrades did happen but it was roughly every three levels or so. The last time I was able to talk to Kreia about it was at lvl 29 - before finalizing Dantooine/Vrook which was the last 'stone/starmap' in this run :D - and after that Kreia clammed up as usual. So now the crystal 'glows brilliantly', which would make this the seventh upgrade out of nine according to the sabre crystal guide.

Does anybody know what the exact criteria are for upgrading the pet crystal (a.k.a. the $YOURNAME lightsabre crystal)?

So far I have never managed to upgrade it fully. In my last game I made it a point to get the crystal as early as possible (lvl 13, first thing after Telos) and to talk to Kreia about it at each level-up. I did not make notes at which time the upgrades did happen but it was roughly every three levels or so. The last time I was able to talk to Kreia about it was at lvl 29 - before finalizing Dantooine/Vrook which was the last 'stone/starmap' in this run :D - and after that Kreia clammed up as usual. So now the crystal 'glows brilliantly', which would make this the seventh upgrade out of nine according to the sabre crystal guide.

I managed to get two upgrades in one pass on the Hawk once...I had gotten my pet crystal first, one of my first games, and I hadn't tried to upgrade it yet, so when I went to her the first time, she upped it, then I went back, put it in my S@b04, then went back to her, she tells me to take it back out again, so I do, then I bring her the rock, and she does it again :lol:

However, if I just tried to get her to upgrade it again without putting it back into the saber first, she wouldn't do it ;)

I have my crystal fully upgraded by the time I hit my 3rd planet nowadays...

I managed to get two upgrades in one pass on the Hawk once...I had gotten my pet crystal first, one of my first games, and I hadn't tried to upgrade it yet, so when I went to her the first time, she upped it, then I went back, put it in my S@b04, then went back to her, she tells me to take it back out again, so I do, then I bring her the rock, and she does it again :lol:

However, if I just tried to get her to upgrade it again without putting it back into the saber first, she wouldn't do it ;)

I have my crystal fully upgraded by the time I hit my 3rd planet nowadays...

OH! And uh, the only way you get the upgrades is to power-level your char...The more you level-up and the faster you get your prestige class, the faster you can upgrade the rock ;)

I managed to get two upgrades in one pass on the Hawk once...I had gotten my pet crystal first, one of my first games, and I hadn't tried to upgrade it yet, so when I went to her the first time, she upped it, then I went back, put it in my S@b04, then went back to her, she tells me to take it back out again, so I do, then I bring her the rock, and she does it again :thumbsup:

However, if I just tried to get her to upgrade it again without putting it back into the saber first, she wouldn't do it :blink:

That is interesting. I usually talk to her before removing the crystal from the sabre, to see if it is worth the hassle. I've never talked after putting it back in, but then I should have noticed the pending upgrade when quizzing her after the next level-up.

... and the faster you get your prestige class, the faster you can upgrade the rock :x

Strange. In my last game I didn't take the prestige class until level 19 and at level 18 the crystal was already 'glowing dimly' (4th upgrade). I also did not notice increased update frequency after taking the prestige class.

--- UPDATE ---

I did some checking and it looks like you get upgrades every three levels at fixed level thresholds. You don't have to take the level, just having the XP is enough. My character found the crystal when she was lvl 13 and could immediately upgrade it to 'translucent', which is the 2nd crystal level. Lvl 15: 'glows very faintly' (3rd crystal level), lvl 18: 'glows dimly' (4th crystal level), lvl 21: 'glows moderately' (5th), lvl 24: 'glows brightly' (6th) and lvl 27: 'glows brilliantly'. Munchkin reached lvl 30 only after finalizing the last planet, so Kreia had already clammed up at that point and no further upgrades were possible.

By rearranging the sequence of events and accepting some loss of XP it would just barely be possible for Munchkin to talk to Kreia while being lvl 30, to get the 8th crystal level. But lvl 33 for the 9th and final crystal level seems impossible without infinite XP exploits.

Also, it seems likely that you will get whatever upgrade level corresponds to your character level, so that it is not necessary to get the crystal early in order to get the best possible upgrades. I cannot check this ATM, though.

--- UPDATE ---

I did some checking and it looks like you get upgrades every three levels at fixed level thresholds. You don't have to take the level, just having the XP is enough. My character found the crystal when she was lvl 13 and could immediately upgrade it to 'translucent', which is the 2nd crystal level. Lvl 15: 'glows very faintly' (3rd crystal level), lvl 18: 'glows dimly' (4th crystal level), lvl 21: 'glows moderately' (5th), lvl 24: 'glows brightly' (6th) and lvl 27: 'glows brilliantly'. Munchkin reached lvl 30 only after finalizing the last planet, so Kreia had already clammed up at that point and no further upgrades were possible.

By rearranging the sequence of events and accepting some loss of XP it would just barely be possible for Munchkin to talk to Kreia while being lvl 30, to get the 8th crystal level. But lvl 33 for the 9th and final crystal level seems impossible without infinite XP exploits.

Also, it seems likely that you will get whatever upgrade level corresponds to your character level, so that it is not necessary to get the crystal early in order to get the best possible upgrades. I cannot check this ATM, though.

There are certain ways to fix this with modding...I already took care of it last night...Levels beyond 30 aren't needed to play this game, or this engine...