GO-TO's droids

It's binary.  Supposedly you can use it on that first computer that asks you to "Enter the count."  I always slice it.

The answer is "2", I have no idea how that should be conected to the ONE-ONE-ZERO or whatever...

My my...Someone is either very young, or very ignorant of the ways of PC computing before Windoze came along :D

Man, even before hex, I had binary...Come on, you mean none of you figured out the Count? I had that down pat on my first run through, for all the good entering the Count did :D

Err...the answer actually depends on how many of the things you kill. If you kill all of them the answers 7...

For ALL THE GOOD ENTERING THE COUNT DOES :D

It just gives ya some EXP....Not worthy of the "brain teaser" they tried to create...Does anyone remember hacking the security card to get into the Sith Base on Manaan in K1? Same type of setup there as the Count...

Hm, also the two containers in Nadd's Tomb and the door lock to the Hutt's Comm Room were also logic-based brain-teasers...Most never try to figure them out because they simply offer nothing of real value that you cannot get elsewhere in the game :shifty:

It just gives ya some EXP....Not worthy of the "brain teaser" they tried to create...Does anyone remember hacking the security card to get into the Sith Base on Manaan in K1? Same type of setup there as the Count...

Hm, also the two containers in Nadd's Tomb and the door lock to the Hutt's Comm Room were also logic-based brain-teasers...Most never try to figure them out because they simply offer nothing of real value that you cannot get elsewhere in the game :devil:

The count-PC also gives you a program for the security PC's later for even more PC and more programs...

The Numbers puzzle and the Vogga's warehouse were not really hard anyway (some find the first bugged though, when both answers end up wrond)

The A,B,C,D,E puzzle in the Dxun Tomb is really irritating though, so press and reload if wrong was my way :shifty:"

The Count-PC is 2 as you enter and not killed any droids, so I always do it right away with this number (how does that ONE-etc. thing works then?)

Hm, also the two containers in Nadd's Tomb and the door lock to the Hutt's Comm Room were also logic-based brain-teasers...Most never try to figure them out because they simply offer nothing of real value that you cannot get elsewhere in the game :devil:

The count-PC also gives you a program for the security PC's later for even more PC and more programs...

The Numbers puzzle and the Vogga's warehouse were not really hard anyway (some find the first bugged though, when both answers end up wrond)

The A,B,C,D,E puzzle in the Dxun Tomb is really irritating though, so press and reload if wrong was my way :shifty:"

The Count-PC is 2 as you enter and not killed any droids, so I always do it right away with this number (how does that ONE-etc. thing works then?)

It will take too long for me to explain that last thing to you...I wish I could, but my mind is far older than my body, and I am rapidly becoming tired after a full day's ranting on this board ;)

If I am to have any time to myself to mod XWA and K2, then I need to disconnect myself from this board, ye know what I mean?? ;)

I'm not sure as i never thought if they did anything. I tend to use the "skill" each time i enter a panel. But seeing that every time you kill a robot it says a number (in binary) i imagine that you have to enter the last number you have heard. I don't quess they would go so far as to add all those numbers... <_<

Whenever you kill GO-TO's droids on his yacht they say "ONE-ONE-ZERO" (or is it "ONE-ZERO-ZERO" ... I cant remember)... I was wondering If there was any meaning to this or was it just some random thing that Obsidian decided to make them say?

Hmmm. So Goto programs his droids to blurt out the password to his security system when they're destroyed, i.e. when they're in the presence of an enemy. It's certainly an original approach to security. The Telosians should be grateful he never took over their restoration project:

GO-TO: Let's see. What this place needs is Krayt dragons. And sandworms from Dune. And exploding cannock!

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Just google the word binary. You'll get more information than you need, but it's pretty interesting. It's a base 2 numerical system (means it only has two digits, namely 0 and 1), so that's why there's more than one digit for each corresponding base 10 number.

Binary works the same way decimal does. It's just that instead of counting to 9 before adding another number, you only count to 1.

Or, to put it another way, decimal will count from 0 up to 9 in the first digit (10 numbers), then reset the first digit back to 0 and increase the second digit by one. When you count up to 99 (100 values), you're actually writing 00, 01, 02, 03 etc. The left 0 is just ignored in writing because it doesn't add any relevant information.

As an example, here's how you count to 15 with binary (2^4, or 16 values).

0 0 0 0 = 0

0 0 0 1 = 1

0 0 1 0 = 2

0 0 1 1 = 3

0 1 0 0 = 4

0 1 0 1 = 5

0 1 1 0 = 6

0 1 1 1 = 7

1 0 0 0 = 8

1 0 0 1 = 9

1 0 1 0 = 10

1 0 1 1 = 11

1 1 0 0 = 12

1 1 0 1 = 13

1 1 1 0 = 14

1 1 1 1 = 15

etc.

In fact, calculus in base 2 is the simpliest way to calculate.

For addition, you only need to know that 0+0=0

1+0=0+1=1 and 1+1=10

so

+011001001001

=111110000010

for multiplication, it's even easier, since 0*0=0*1=1*0=0 and 1*1=1.

In the end, we keep the decimal system to have fewer to write (binary numbers are a pain to write, excepted for a computer obviously) and because of culture.

Like we keep the qwerty keyboard from the old time of mechanical writers (or the real name of those things) where it was invented to decrease the speed of the writers. They need to decrease the speed, because the system could be blocked, so the qwerty keyboard has been invented to be unnatural.

In the end, we keep the decimal system to have fewer to write (binary numbers are a pain to write, excepted for a computer obviously) and because of culture.

It is tradition/culture only, I'm afraid; the decimal system has nothing to offer besides that. There are other bases that have lot more going for them - like base 12 or base 60 - and which have in fact been used and remain in use even to this day. Just look at the nearest non-digital clock. :D

Sometimes it is suggested that the decimal system is 'natural' because we have ten fingers, ten toes and so on. This is silly; for one thing we have two arms, two legs, two eyes, two ears and so on, and by this token the binary system would be equally natural. Also, if you use your fingers to count in the traditional fashion then you can count from 0 to 10; if you use them to count in binary then you can count from 0 to 1023. In base-5 it would be 29, which is still a bit higher than 10.

An easy algorithm for converting numbers with arbitrary bases is Horner's rule. If you have a binary number consisting of the digits

abcd

then you initialize the result with the leftmost digit and look whether there is a digit to the right of it. If so, then you multiply the current result with the base (2 for binary) and add that digit. Then you look if there's a digit to the right of that; if so ... You get the drift. In the above example the result would be

(((a) * 2 + b) * 2 + c) * 2 + d

For one-one-zero this becomes

(one * 2 + one) * 2 + zero = 6

Like we keep the qwerty keyboard from the old time of mechanical writers (or the real name of those things) where it was invented to decrease the speed of the writers. They need to decrease the speed, because the system could be blocked, so the qwerty keyboard has been invented to be unnatural.

I think those things are called 'type writers' in English. The need for slowing down the typing speed arises because the type levers can jam or entangle each other if you type a new letter before the lever that printed the previous letter has returned near enough to its resting position to be out of the way.