"kotor news"

Chris Avellone a super-star!

Mar 21, 2005

Check out Gamespot's new article "Everthing is Possible: Inside the Minds of Gaming's Master Storytellers" featuring our very own Chris Avellone!

this are the news that Obsidian are writing "Chris Avellone a super star" congratulations then, for his stardom but here we don't want to read about his way to the fame, we ALL want to see what's going on with the patch, why nobody has given the face about it, all that they say is "the patch is done, soon it will be released" is not only their (LA) fault, I have understood that Obsidian made the game, please take your responsibilities and keep up updated about what's going on with the patch, if LA still with it, keep communication with them about when they will release it, do your job, I did mine when I bought the game for $ 49.99.

att. Alexander Gutierrez from Puerto Rico

Mar 21, 2005

Check out Gamespot's new article "Everthing is Possible: Inside the Minds of Gaming's Master Storytellers" featuring our very own Chris Avellone!

this are the news that Obsidian are writing "Chris Avellone a super star" congratulations then, for his stardom but here we don't want to read about his way to the fame, we ALL want to see what's going on with the patch, why nobody has given the face about it, all that they say is "the patch is done, soon it will be released" is not only their (LA) fault, I have understood that Obsidian made the game, please take your responsibilities and keep up updated about what's going on with the patch, if LA still with it, keep communication with them about when they will release it, do your job, I did mine when I bought the game for $ 49.99.

dude they don't care, they got your money.

Mar 21, 2005

dude they don't care, they got your money.

I'm starting to believe that

Guest Dowie100

The patch is finished its now up to Lucasarts to release it, this was confirmed on the PC Help forum by the Dev Team

Guest Dowie100

I am sure that Obsidian are trying to get Lucasarts to release the patch, but Lucasarts are ****, they are taking 100x longer to test the patch than the game

Guest Dowie100

Obsidian are probably one of the most talented game studios in the world

but they shouldn't have cut all the content they did, and the game needed as PC Gamer said "anouther 2-3 months of Dev Time"

I'm starting to not even care about the patch anymore. I've beaten the game quite a few times, and now I'm bored with it. Patching it will just make it less buggy, and that's it. Unless there will be added content, I don't care.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

The patch is finished its now up to Lucasarts to release it, this was confirmed on the PC Help forum by the Dev Team

so why doesn't Obsidian rush them to release it?

In case things work differently on whatever planet you're from: a dev house like Obsidian doesn't tell a publisher like Lucasarts what to do, much less how to conduct their post-release product support. Live with it. Go join the monkeys on the Lucasarts forums if you want to tell them to do things differently.

Though frankly, given rushing the product was what caused trouble in the first place, all this bitching about Obsidian and LA not rushing the patch release seems pretty asinine to me. Because obviously, none of us knows what's going on inside LA. Maybe they're twidling their thumbs, but none of us has any means by which to know whether this is the case or not.

so why doesn't Obsidian rush them to release it?

In case things work differently on whatever planet you're from: a dev house like Obsidian doesn't tell a publisher like Lucasarts what to do, much less how to conduct their post-release product support. Live with it. Go join the monkeys on the Lucasarts forums if you want to tell them to do things differently.

Though frankly, given rushing the product was what caused trouble in the first place, all this bitching about Obsidian and LA not rushing the patch release seems pretty asinine to me. Because obviously, none of us knows what's going on inside LA. Maybe they're twidling their thumbs, but none of us has any means by which to know whether this is the case or not.

first of all, I'm not saying that Obsidian should rush LA to do the patch because the patch is already done, I'm saying that they should rush them to release it cause many people in here cannot play the game 'cause the bugs, drivers problem and many other things. Obsidian and LA made the game, both must give explanations. that's my point.

first of all, I'm not saying that Obsidian should rush LA to do the patch because the patch is already done, I'm saying that they should rush them to release it cause many people in here cannot play the game 'cause the bugs, drivers problem and many other things.  Obsidian and LA made the game, both must give explanations. that's my point.

I don't think you understand his point that Obsidian can't tell them to rush it. Lucasarts is the ONLY one that can say when the patch can be released. Obsidian cannot "rush" them, even if they wanted to (and they probably do, just to shut up all the people who are constantly posting about a patch every single day in multiple threads).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I never meant that Obsidian should say "hey LA give us the patch or I'll kick you" i just said that at least they must ask "what's going on with the patch" and give us an explanation, that's all my point, if you don't notice they signed a contract, both did, which means that "both" have responsabilities with the game and for the people "US" who bought it, I hope I was clear...

I have to say that Obsidian don't deserve Lucasarts. They need to make their own games, in their own style, and make them the best games ever. Kotor II is, to me, an excellent developer trying to shine through the dark cloud of a crappy publisher.

I need better analogies, too.

Publishers and developers have different goals.

Some developers would never release a game, they would just go on twaeking it until it's "perfect". This of course is pointless because by the time the game is "perfect" it's years out of date.

From a publisher point of view, getting something out while it's hot and then riding the wave is much more important than getting something out that is artistic.

Lots of people will be watching Obsidians next game carefully, but it's nothing that they cant spring back from. Especially as the more mainstream reception of KOTOR II has been very positive (those folks who never get more than 3/4 the way through games).

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Guest Dowie100

Some developers would never release a game, they would just go on twaeking it until it's "perfect". This of course is pointless because by the time the game is "perfect" it's years out of date.

From a publisher point of view, getting something out while it's hot and then riding the wave is much more important than getting something out that is artistic.

Lots of people will be watching Obsidians next game carefully, but it's nothing that they cant spring back from. Especially as the more mainstream reception of KOTOR II has been very positive (those folks who never get more than 3/4 the way through games).

I hate Publishers so much, they tend to ruin everthing

Every Developer, should take Valves approach, tell them to **** off and make Steam, the cut them off completely, it results in better games, that arnt cut to the extent they dont make sense at all

Yeah, just look at completely pointless titles like Halo and Half Life 2 (each in development for over four years). One wonders why they even bothered to release them after so long, when clearly, with such a long development process, they were far too outmoded by their respective release dates to satisfy anyone at all.

</sarcasm>

Yeah, just look at completely pointless titles like Halo and Half Life 2 (each in development for over four years).  One wonders why they even bothered to release them after so long, when clearly, with such a long development process, they were far too outmoded by their respective release dates to satisfy anyone at all.

</sarcasm>

Exactly, they could have done those in half the time and still sold the same sort of numbers :p

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I'm still a little surprised at Lucasarts' way of doing business, though. I could understand if sales is all they care about, without any regard to the reputation of the name they are selling. But the name "Star Wars" is well known and I would have thought that Lucasarts would have taken pride in making sure that name is held to the highest standards, rather than just pimp it out for as many sales as possible.

Especially when it comes to George Lucas. I would have thought he'd care more about completeness, considering how he himself complained about how he was rushed to finish his first couple of Star Wars movies. Now his own company is doing the very thing that he absolutely loathed about the industry.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'm still a little surprised at Lucasarts' way of doing business, though.  I could understand if sales is all they care about, without any regard to the reputation of the name they are selling.  But the name "Star Wars" is well known and I would have thought that Lucasarts would have taken pride in making sure that name is held to the highest standards, rather than just pimp it out for as many sales as possible. 

Especially when it comes to George Lucas.  I would have thought he'd care more about completeness, considering how he himself complained about how he was rushed to finish his first couple of Star Wars movies.  Now his own company is doing the very thing that he absolutely loathed about the industry.

I'm not..

I don't know how much interest George has in that particular aspect of the business. It's kinda sad, or funny depending on your PoV. It's like when I was in school my friends were very "green". Once the reality of life hit, they ended up working for big multinationals and it all gets forgetton.

Once you become part of the machine, you start to think like the machine. The only way that would change is if you had someone at the head who actually liked to play games (most people in that position would never get the time). All you tend to see are reports and figures.

478327[/snapback]