Bastila vs Visas (lightsabers drawn!)

You dont like Bastila's attitude?  It's kind of like she's the teacher, and you're the naughty school boy.  Ummm...not that I'm into that.  :lol:"

Bastilla reminds me of the typical young person (say, 18 to 25, ;-)) that has been tossed into a position of authority/responsibility with little or no support or coaching/consulting. She's made the bog-standard mistake of trying to control and/or micro-manage everything. She gets very defensive about anything that might question her authority or fitness to be in charge because she knows inside just how unprepared she is. It is just that she's been told she can't be undecisive or hesitant because "it's bad for moral".

:sigh: I'm very tolerant of her because I know from decades of experience that leadership (and management, too) are skill sets that are learned and take time to build/honed. Tossing someone in to 'sink or swim' all to often results in a dead body on the beach somewhere. Bastila didn't get the support she needed: another indictment of the failure of the Jedi Council.

Thanks for that...It was what I meant to say, but I didn't take the time to explain my meanings properly ;)

Bast has no skills with manipulation, and you need such skills, regardless if you use them for Good or Evil reasons, you still need to manipulate to be able to influence others to do what you need done...Know what I mean? ;)

You dont like Bastila's attitude?  It's kind of like she's the teacher, and you're the naughty school boy.  Ummm...not that I'm into that.  :thumbsup:"

Bastilla reminds me of the typical young person (say, 18 to 25, ;-)) that has been tossed into a position of authority/responsibility with little or no support or coaching/consulting. She's made the bog-standard mistake of trying to control and/or micro-manage everything. She gets very defensive about anything that might question her authority or fitness to be in charge because she knows inside just how unprepared she is. It is just that she's been told she can't be undecisive or hesitant because "it's bad for moral".

:sigh: I'm very tolerant of her because I know from decades of experience that leadership (and management, too) are skill sets that are learned and take time to build/honed. Tossing someone in to 'sink or swim' all to often results in a dead body on the beach somewhere. Bastila didn't get the support she needed: another indictment of the failure of the Jedi Council.

Where Visas on the other hand is...she has sort of settles into her position as Nihilus' slave even if it is, well, being a slave. So when she jois up with the Exile, she isn't really very hesitant in the slightest unlike Bastila.

Then again, who wouldn't want a Visas slave? :D

Bast has no skills with manipulation, and you need such skills, regardless if you use them for Good or Evil reasons, you still need to manipulate to be able to influence others to do what you need done...Know what I mean? :rolleyes:

I disagree. While manipulation can be useful, it can also backfire if people figure out out what you are doing. There's a reason why manipulation generally has a negative connotation. Leadership, especially by example, is usually a surer method of influence.

... whereas a fight between Bastila and Visas would either have to ignore the game universe, or apply remarkably different rules for each character. I tend to go with the former (in so far I go with anything, given the nature of this discussion).

I'd go with Bastila, though. She's been trained as a jedi since she was very young (at least, shall we say, 12 years at an enclave and another 5 wherever after KotOR1) and is supposedly fairly strong in the force. Visas has been training for a max of 9 years, probably less, under a master that was probably not very interested in teaching her anything.

In the game world, training/education is expressed in the form of feat/power chains and things like BAB. Somebody who received Guardian training will be able to hit harder - all other things being equal - than somebody who received the old Sentinel training, for example. Sentinels and Consulars obviously concentrate more on mental training than Guardians and less on physical, which explains why they have more Force oomph (FP/level) but less physical stamina (VP/level), and so on.

So the game world directly indicates that the new forms of training are more effective than the old ones under which Bastila was trained - the lightsabre forms were not even invented back then. Also, Darth Wuss completely messed up Bastila's abilities when he tortured her to turn her to the dark side. Visas would pwn her.

One--In actual SW history, were those Lightsaber techniques all invented in the five years between I and II? Or was this just a change by the devs? Besides, Visas only has access to three of them. Shii-Cho (+1 attack, defense net adjustment of 0), Soresu (+2 defense, -1 Threat Modifier). The only one that would provide any real bonus is Makashi (+3 Attack/Damage, +2 Force Saves). But then we get back to that old discussion of stuff thats in part one versus two. If it's in part two, and we bring in Bastilla, she logically has access to them. Put Visas in part one, and they dont even exist.

Two--Assuming her fall/apprenticeship resulted in the restructring of here powers, logically redeeming/retraining Bastilla would restore them. But even if she stayed on the DS, she could advanced toward things like Force Storm and Death Field.