What's the first RPGs you've played?

Tanuvein

Well, I started playing CRPGs naugt but 4 years ago, and if my memory serves correctly, the first RPG I ever played was Fallout 1. Haven't really played that many RPGs otherwise though, pretty much only the FO series, BG series, IWD series (though I never could finish either), and KotOR series of course.

Ultima 6, and it was fantastic. I'd only really played adventure games until then. Alas, the floppies stopped working years ago, and I never bought the CD compilation because they'd made no effort to make Ultima 7 work in Windows, so it just seemed like a con.

The Quest for Glory games are probably my favourite - and by far the RPG I've spent most time replaying. I'm a sucker for epic journeys.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Ultima 6, and it was fantastic.  I'd only really played adventure games until then.  Alas, the floppies stopped working years ago, and I never bought the CD compilation because they'd made no effort to make Ultima 7 work in Windows, so it just seemed like a con.

The Quest for Glory games are probably my favourite - and by far the RPG I've spent most time replaying.  I'm a sucker for epic journeys.

I still need to get the first four Quest for Glory games.

You can use dosbox for all of the old Ultimas. I do.

The first real RPG I played was Starflight (for the PC) back in 1986. I had been gaming for quite a few years before that (C64 & Apple), but that was my first RPG.

Starflight was incredible, a true classic. Such a great feeling of exploration and a memorable story. And that's not just nostalgia talking. Star Control 2 was a great game in its own right, but many people have forgotten that they got plenty of ideas and inspiration from Starflight.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/starflight

I remember when I had a C64 (actually a C128..) and I ordered my games from this place where they "ranked" the games by how many floppy discs they came on.. At the top of the list was Pool of Radiance with 8 floppy discs. Somehow, I figured the more discs needed, the better the game had to be. Anyhow, I ordered that game and immediately fell in love with the RPG genre. I may have played other RPG's before that game, but either I didn't understand them or they've all just slipped my mind.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The first real RPG I played was  Starflight (for the PC)  back in 1986.  I had been gaming for quite a few years before that (C64 & Apple), but that was my first RPG.

Starflight was incredible, a true classic.  Such a great feeling of exploration and a memorable story. And that's not just nostalgia talking.  Star Control 2 was a great game in its own right, but many people have forgotten that they got plenty of ideas and inspiration from Starflight.

I've actually played this game :)

Had to use a VERY slow computer and slow it down even more (by turning off the cache in the bios ;) ) Starflight 2 was fun as well :)

For computer the first I literally played was one of the early Ultimas for Commodore. Im not sure which one because the game and computer were my friends. My true crpg deflowering was several years later when I had access to The Magic Candle.

On the console side of things, my first taste was of Dragon Warrior.

"But thou must!"

"Nope, sorry."

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.

The first real RPG I played was  Starflight (for the PC)  back in 1986.  I had been gaming for quite a few years before that (C64 & Apple), but that was my first RPG.

Starflight was incredible, a true classic.  Such a great feeling of exploration and a memorable story. And that's not just nostalgia talking.  Star Control 2 was a great game in its own right, but many people have forgotten that they got plenty of ideas and inspiration from Starflight.

I love Starflight. But I have to be a tool and say that Star Control 2 is higher up on the food chain. Hyper-melee seals the deal for me. I used to piss people off with the Arilou skiff. ;)

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.

The first RPG I remember playing (at a rather tender age as well...) is "Might and Might 3" on the Amstrad. The beautiful days of 16 colours and PC speaker sound...

And, the "Quest for Glory" series PWN! I must have spent HUNDREDS of hours trying to play through the entire series with the same character,  max possible points, and as a Paladin...

I heard they were going to make a 6th one where you got to play as the child of the hero from the first 5. They were going to redo character creation to let you play as a female if you wanted, and have a lot more appearance customization, but the lackluster sales of 5 canned that.

They were great games, good story, fun gameplay, just great.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

*slowly backs off from the thread, looking embarrassed*

All these veterans. I feel like newbie.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Akalabeth, Temple of Aphasi and Wizardy I, Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord on the Apple IIe spring to mind - I guess played around 1981?

Then for C64 I had the whole Bard's Tale series, The Gold Box games, Magic Candle, Phantasie, Ultimas up to #6 etc

Around the early 90s got my first IBM compatible and enjoyed everything from Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore on.

Never owned a console so I guess my favourite console CRPG is Knights of the Old Republic (for PC). :shifty:

Well, the downside for us so called "veterans" is that, posting messages like these, we are suddenly starting to feel very old even if we are still in the mid-twenties or so >_<

"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" - Wing Commander IV

Well the very 1st was some little game on the very first Nintendo system (only console I've ever bought), but I don't remember it's name. After that, probably Diablo1 (I know it's not a 'real' RPG to some but it still introduced me to building characters).

From there, Baldurs Gate1 and the Might&Magic series of RPG's. The rest is history.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well, the downside for us so called "veterans" is that, posting messages like these, we are suddenly starting to feel very old even if we are still in the mid-twenties or so :p

mid-twenties is old? :devil:

*Trips over beard going down the hall of the Old Gamers' Home. Breaks hip.*

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Hahhah...really my first CRPG must have been either BG2 or Fallout, I had played pen'n paper before, so it really wasn't such a huge step in gaming. If I remember right the amount of content BG2 provided was just mindnumbing then. :lol:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

First Console JRPG was Shining Force...but I played it on PC via the Sega Smash Pack. After I found out that the software Sega used to make it was based on an open source emulator (K-Gens IIRC) I got involved in some rather shady acquisition methods for old Console Games...

First CRPG was KotOR. Since then I've sunk my teeth into Torment, started Fallout, and have Fallout II waiting. I'll buy more when I finish these, just not much time for gaming right now.