What's the first RPGs you've played?

Tanuvein

Well, mentioned a few hours ago in another topic, but always nice to remember it :thumbsup:

bt-atari-title.gif

Never got a console so I can't say.

Mmm, Bard's Tale. I really need to track down the second and third. I only have the disc for hte first.

I feel more like playing Wizardry 6 and 7 actually, but I don't know if I want to deal with the bonus point not-so-random generator.

Mmm, Bard's Tale. I really need to track down the second and third. I only have the disc for hte first.

I never played the second episode, but I can say the third is really great and allows you to reach VERY high levels and nifty spells. I also love the feel of decay at the beginning, when you have to visit a ruined Skara Brae. I distinctly remember wandering around commenting: "hey, here is where Mangar's Tower stood!" and stuff like that, 'cause it almost exactly mirrors the town in the first episode (minus some areas which you can't access).

"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" - Wing Commander IV

My first PnP RPG was the Swedish classic "Mutant" sci-fi/cyberpunk game.

My first CRPG was probably Lands of Lore or Eye of the Beholder.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

the 3rd, thief of fate, sucked bad. at least, it was not comparable to the 2nd on any level. coincidentally, it was not done by michael cranford, either.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Hmmm ... the first CRPG I played must have been Ultima 2 on the Commodore 64 back in 1984. The first RPG I ever completed was Bard's Tale 1, also on the Commodore 64 ... bought all the Bard's Tale games again later on the Commodore Amiga because of the nifty graphics ...

"Questron" on the C64. Never played a console RPG

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

The first RPG I played was Ultima 4. However, I was eight or nine years old at the time and my english wasn't really up to the task. Only much later did I manage to enjoy it properly.

On console, the first RPG I played was Secret of Mana. There wasn't much RPGing in it, though.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I think it was Bards Tale, C-64 although it wasnt at the time of release.

Auto Duel etc. That sort of thing.

First console RPG (not including the ancient consoles) would be Secret of Mana. That game was just amazing at the time, especially the ability to multi tap and have everyone play at the same time.

I always remember Bards Tale because mine didnt come with a map :devil: My mother phoned up EA and they sent a map and a bunch of free goodies about a week later.

Probably wouldnt happen these days. But I am a card carrying member of the "Evil Alliance".

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Knights of the Old Republic.

Yes, I was brand new to cRPG, but have since played most of the "classics".

HAHA NOOOB !! :D

Just kidding, one of the advantages of being a latecommer is you have a huge backlog ready and waiting.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Just kidding, one of the advantages of being a latecommer is you have a huge backlog ready and waiting.

And the fact I haven't had to pay full price for any of my cRPGs except for KOTOR. :D

:devil: the bargain bin and/or ebay ;)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

the 3rd, thief of fate, sucked bad.  at least, it was not comparable to the 2nd on any level.  coincidentally, it was not done by michael cranford, either.

Well, I liked the concept behind the two new schools of magic (especially how destructive you could become with certain spells :D) and also how nice it was to visit all those dimensions.

IMO, the problem is that it was too headed toward killing excessive swarm of enemies (eew, even the Tarjan temple at the beginning is a costant Traveller's Tune in order to flee from hordes of monsters :() and that hindered a bit the sense of wanting to go ahead.

Also, like Soulseeker, at that time I barely knew what "hello" meant 'cause I was quite too young, but luckily my father played always alongside me so he translated everything :o

I see someone mentioned the "Phantasie" trilogy by SSI: it was really great and somewhat introduced more complex strategies to fight battles. I loved the third episode "Wrath of Nikademus", which had a very colourful and more detailed world, at least on ST, compared to the previous episode. Great memories! :)

Phantasie3-t.jpg

"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" - Wing Commander IV

Hero's Quest 1: So You Want to Be a Hero

Otherwise known as Quest for Glory

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The first RPG I remember playing (at a rather tender age as well...) is "Might and Might 3" on the Amstrad. The beautiful days of 16 colours and PC speaker sound...

And, the "Quest for Glory" series PWN! I must have spent HUNDREDS of hours trying to play through the entire series with the same character, max possible points, and as a Paladin...

The first crpg I can remember playing would be the original Temple of Apshai by Epyx in 1983-84. The first crpg I can remember actually completing was Phantasie by SSI in 1985.

Never played a console game (watching my 5 year old nephew play doesn't count).

Edit: The above games were C64 versions btw. :cool:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein