Light Saber thing

Some interesting points here. This reminds me of a certain moment of dialogue I was sharing with Canderous from the original KOTOR. When during the Mandolorian Wars he and his fleet were searching for some survivors of a battle (Can't remember exactly).

But anyways he mentions that some piece of Asteroid Rock began spinning, and suddenly it jumps out into hyperspace. By my assumptions it was a ship, and it was an ancient one at that. This could be a little hint poking at this True Sith. However its my belief that this "True Sith" lives beyond the Star Wars Galaxy, beyond the great void.

Ok. A few points here.

Yes, I have no doubt that KotOR3 will pick up on the stories of Revan and the Exile in some form. It simply has to. After all, we spend all of KotOR2 searching for Revan, but we never find him/her, and at the end, our protagonist goes to the outer rim to join Revan and leave any and all allies behind...

The story is indeed open-ended. It would have been even had all the cut content been in there, so this must all be picked up on in the next game - that's the promise made to the players.

I do agree a bit with something XboxSithLord said, however. It concerns the "True Sith".

Just who are these "True Sith" and why are they such a bit threat?

Well, they sound very menacing and dangerous, but I've got this nagging feeling that they are so only for the purpose of story and plot reconciliation, and not because the storytellers have something great planned.

Remember, in KotOR1 you could play Revan as both dark and light side. If you're light side, then you save the republic, destroy the Starforge, and generally protect the galaxy. All good and well...

But if you're dark sided, you'll take control of the Starforge, destroy the republic's last defenses, build huge fleets under your command, and will now become the great dark ruler of the galaxy of the era.

Those are very different endings, but at the time of development, it wasn't really much of a problem, was it? I mean, the next known bit of Star Wars story lies almost 3000 years into the future (Jedi vs. Sith, which is even part of the expanded universe) - by then we can safely assume that Revan will long since have been dead in any event, so it really won't matter.

Oh, but then they decide to do a sequel. Uh-oh - now they *will* have to deal with the consequences of KotOR1, and how can that be done? Well, they could assume an ending and simply say that Revan was a light side male and ignore the dark side and female options, but that doesn't really work, since people who played those endings will complain - for reasons of sale, a solution must be find that everybody can live with...

Now Revan is a real problem to the game design, so what to do? Well, the only solution really is to make Revan a non-factor in the new game. This will effectively make the choices of the first game void, so it has to be scripted right, so that it won't hit the players like a ton of bricks. After all, they likely all played the first game and will want to know what happened to the charactes in it.

So how can the Revan problem be fixed? Simple, you create something that would command the attention of Revan whether he/she was good or bad. Then you exile Revan from the game, so that he/she won't interfere with the new plot. That way Revan can sort of stay at the outskirts of the new story in any event.

Instead a new character is born, who can also be either gender and good or bad. The character has some relation to Revan, so that the apparent ties to the first game are preserved.

Of course, now the trouble is that this new Exile character will end up being just as much of a problem to the plot of the next potential game as Revan has become to the current game. However, if the very thing that commanded Revan's attention is powerful enough, then the new Exile character can go and confront it at the end of the game just as Revan did, no matter whether they character is good or bad. This will leave the game open-ended and at the same time essentially leave the light/dark side choice of the player void, so that it won't interfere with the next plot.

It seems to me that though KotOR2 is a well plotted game (despite its unfinished state), it was indeed carefully crafted to allow only one real direction for the game. Note how the Exile's choice between the Jedi and the Sith basically comes to nothing in the end, because of what he discovers on Malachor 5.

Now, that doesn't mean it's bad storytelling. I actually rather like the plot of KotOR2 (though it can't say the same for its execution), but that doesn't mean I don't see how the plot was carefully constructed to allow you to make only minor decisions during the game that will not matter in the larger fabric of the how the trilogy itself unfolds - none of the choices you made in KotOR2 will matter in KotOR3, and with Revan's shadow always hanging over you in the game, it is obvious that the Exile will never be the primary character in the KotOR games.

What the True Sith will turn out to be remains to be seen. I really wish I could say that I'm sure there are some great plans for what they are (like there were for the shadows in Babylon 5), but to me they still just like a plot-device created to given a common foe for both DS-Revan, LS-Revan, DS-Exile, and LS-Exile to fight. The threat of the True Sith is scary and cool, of course, but I'm not blind to the fact that their existence in the game has basically made any decision between the light side and dark side of the force you have made in either game mean nothing - whether you're Jedi or Sith, you'll have to fight the True Sith in the next game, either to protect your own empire and power (if you're dark side) or to protect the galaxy and the republic.

Hildegard I was thinking exactly the same thing about a k3. From the dialogue at the end with Kreia I would say that OE have a good idea what they want k3 to be like. And when k2 was in production LA did have people working on a k3 but fired them.

we can only guess at what the new game would be like at this stage but whatever happens i hope more time is taken on it than k2. The easiest way i feel for the exile and Reven to be included in the game would be to let the player choose what they look like and the alinement. It is not rlly part of a flowing game but i think would be the best option to make all players happy.

Off Topic: i think OE left the sound files in the PC version so that players would find them just so they could make people as pissed off as they were when LA gave them the time constraints.

What the True Sith will turn out to be remains to be seen. I really wish I could say that I'm sure there are some great plans for what they are (like there were for the shadows in Babylon 5), but to me they still just like a plot-device created to given a common foe for both DS-Revan, LS-Revan, DS-Exile, and LS-Exile to fight.

The threat of the True Sith is scary and cool, of course, but I'm not blind to the fact that their existence in the game has basically made any decision between the light side and dark side of the force you have made in either game mean nothing - whether you're Jedi or Sith, you'll have to fight the True Sith in the next game, either to protect your own empire and power (if you're dark side) or to protect the galaxy and the republic.

right, by making the antagonist an alien threat, they are once again able to put two 40 hour games into one shrinkwrap. I'm with you, though, ideally, LS and DS choices lead to real changes in what the objective is even about.

they will make a kotor 3, no doubt, how could they not after the way they ended 2??

and as far as the "backlash" to 2 goes, well lets face it there isn't really any so to speak outside of these forums. The game is consistently getting mid 80-95 % scores and is hailed as a success by everybody who can get past the bugs which is the vast majority of people. Its a testament to the game and its story when it is so rife with bugs, people are playing it over and over again.

As far as what revan went off to do, he is obviously trying to sabotage the sith empires war effort or trying to influence them in some way to tip the balance in the republics favour when the war actually comes. Though i have a feeling you won't ever see revan making an appearance as a playable character again. Same the exile expecially.

Like how would other npcs refer to the exile? And how would the developers get it across that you were playing as the exile again since you don't even have a name so to speak. It would be plain stupid, like random soldier says "hey aren't you the person who was exilled from the jedi order for joining the mandalorian wars?"

I really cant see how they would subtly do it.

But anyways he mentions that some piece of Asteroid Rock began spinning, and suddenly it jumps out into hyperspace. By my assumptions it was a ship, and it was an ancient one at that. This could be a little hint poking at this True Sith. However its my belief that this "True Sith" lives beyond the Star Wars Galaxy, beyond the great void.

Vorg cameo and you are NOT going to see the Vorg before NJO time.

drakron.png

they will make a kotor 3, no doubt, how could they not after the way they ended 2??

and as far as the "backlash" to 2 goes, well lets face it there isn't really any so to speak outside of these forums. The game is consistently getting mid 80-95 % scores and is hailed as a success by everybody who can get past the bugs which is the vast majority of people. Its a testament to the game and its story when it is so rife with bugs, people are playing it over and over again.

As far as what revan went off to do, he is obviously trying to sabotage the sith empires war effort or trying to influence them in some way to tip the balance in the republics favour when the war actually comes. Though i have a feeling you won't ever see revan making an appearance as a playable character again. Same the exile expecially.

Like how would other npcs refer to the exile? And how would the developers get it across that you were playing as the exile again since you don't even have a name so to speak. It would be plain stupid, like random soldier says "hey aren't you the person who was exilled from the jedi order for joining the mandalorian wars?"

I really cant see how they would subtly do it.

If what Kreia says at the end is true then all your friends from the second are to be the new Jedi order. They would teach pupils of how you did what you did and the easiest way would be to just call you the Exile. "He chose to shut himself off from th force after the Mandalorian Wars from then on he was known only as The Exile". That way people would refer to him as the exile and there is no need for a name.

Just because she belives something does not make it true.

You want a example?

The Sith Empire was destroyed by the Republic in the Great Hyperspace War, Korriban was not in "the fride of their empire", it was their Tomb World and ignore by the Republic Fleet because there was nothing of military importance there.

"True Sith"?

What is that, is the actual Sith (that none of this "New Sith" are, they might be using Sith knowledge but that does not make then Sith) or is something else, the game dialogue is messy in that department.

OMG OMG OMG!!!! (w00t) (w00t) (w00t)

You mean to tell us that EU often contradicts itself??? NOOOOO, i don't believe you! EU is perfect and tells the complete story of the star wars universe....

All valid points above.

I think it'd be hard to focus on either Revan or the Exile, it'd restrict the story telling point of view. It'd be interesting if you had a new padawan character, taught by the new jedi council, founded by the "lost" jedi whom the Exile discovered.

That could lead to a few neat things, say you chose the path of the Gaurdian then you're taught by Mira Or bao Dur of if you chose to be a Sentinel then its Visas or Atton etc. (Lightsaber Hilt customisation is a must here!!)

Being able to have Revan and the Exile as secondary characters (not at first but towards the end perhaps) would be a nice nostalgic touch! If K3 could pick up on the save games of the previous knights games then that would be truely excellent, but i would be more than willing to settle on a x 3 character creation screen where you could do you main character plus R & E - maybe you could also choose their force alignments here as well? Would be cool to have each variation trigger a slightly different set of consequences. Would mean TONS of replayability.

Of course all this would mean OE would have to give us this one on DVDs.

Sorry for the long first post, but I loved the first 2 games and I desperately wish to see the storyline's conclusion.

PB

Great thread! I imagine some people are sick to death of reading KOTOR3 speculation, but im sure they will manage :(

I find it hard to beleive that the developers would leave KOTOR2 with so little character closure without having a pretty solid view that there would be a KOTOR3, and that they would be involved in it in some way. I am really not sure of the way the end of the DS game panned out, but the idea of KOTOR3 picking up with a new character trained/training at an academy run by the new jedi (made up of Atton, Visas, Handmaiden and Mira) really gels with me. This would give the developers the perfect oppurtunity to merge together a suitable 'ending' as it were for the characters who were basically dismissed at the end of KOTOR2, as well as starting with a fresh character who can then go off to take the PC role in a story that leads on from the existing ones.

The specifics of this are something that I could probably spend forver thinking about, but i'd rather not if at all possible, and due to the number of quality posts here, I dont think i should need to :) However the possibility of perhaps electing which of the new jedi you would have train your character (based on the character you had the most bond with in kotor2) would be great, and there is no doubt that working in the other characters beleivably in the story would go a long way to making it a truly epic finish. Especially with regard to the KOTOR2 characters, I beleive this is important to the developers as well, as it is clear from the missing parts that were written that they understand the importance of giving proper character closure.

Of course one of the main things I have neglected to factor in is the DS path... my hopes that i outlined above would be all well and good to lead off from a LS KOTOR2 path... but I imagine dark side might differ? I had just assumed that it was a mirror of the LS, but instead a dark side academy would be created with your companions training dark jedi... which might perhaps lend itself to a style where you basically choose your force orientation at the beginning of KOTOR3 based on what side you ended kotor2 on (or whatever side you wanted to choose)?

I think in order to make kotor3 the game everybody is desperate to see, it will mean a heck of a lot of work... as there is a lot of storyline issues stemming from choices that we were allowed to make that would need to be worked around or worked in, but I honestly beleive it can be done.

- Dan