The Bard's Tale Demo was released

karka

It just keeps getting better and better. Brian has taken every cliche in the RPG handbook and actually given the character (minus the swearing) the sort of lines you really want after visiting NPC 1,2,3 and 4 before finally being sent back to NPC one.

The combat model is so/so , you can also die quite quickly if you get surrounded. Gets more managable once you upgrade your instrument though. It was hard work being a bow user prior to that because you dont have those one shot kill bows and skills like multishot need to be charged which means no running and gunning.

With an exception or two (which are in jokes) things drop junk which then gets translated into silver likewise when you upgrade your old item becomes its value in silver so you dont need to unload at a shop every 10 minutes.

It's got more story elements, villiagers, people to talk to etc. Than both CoN and BG. Much less combat heavy too, although you still have to hack your way through the odd horde.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

God damn, 'Paladin. Based on your info of the game; this might actually be worth buying. Something good for the bargain bin at least. Thanks. :lol:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

God damn, 'Paladin. Based on your info of the game; this might actually be worth buying. Something good for the bargain bin at least. Thanks. :lol:

Well love it or loathe it. You will never look at RPGs in the same way after playing it :D

"I will await you at the top of the tower.. If you surivive"

"Hang on a minute he was just here. Why do I have to climb to the top of a bloody tower now"

And the song of the chosen just has me in stitches.

Oh it's sort of non linear too. I just wandered into chapter IX and got a serious kicking...

The only thing I could say about it, is that it's slow to get going. It dosnt really take off until you get your second intrument and a nice selection of songs. There is no imediate story either (although the way the intro works you know there is one at some point) it's just the "life of the Bard" for the first couple of chapters.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

:rolleyes:
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

That's why they update it.

The did it with Wizardry, and that turned out fantastically. They could have done the same to Bard's Tale and I would have had to change my underwear ;)

Well you may think so, but a game where I can read a novel and a half between turns isnt something I care for.

478327[/snapback]

Finished it earlier on. Funny ending, not difficult to see what was going on, but a nice twist on it anyway. (well you get a choice and I'm saving the other for a replay).

Much more fun as a single player game than any of the others. Lots of hidden secrets to find as well, I'm missing 5 tokens and 2 song upgrades.

The jam on stage with the drunks was priceless. Only downside is I cant get the songs out of my head now.

478327[/snapback]

The jam on stage with the drunks was priceless. Only downside is I cant get the songs out of my head now.

as long as they're suitably bawdy, that could be a good thing :blink:

thanks for the mini-review SP--this is a game i've been following since the first notice over at rpgdot.

btw, was this the pc demo you played i assume?..did it seem significantly dumbed down control-wise? that's my major worry, with the console/pc hybrids.

as long as they're suitably bawdy, that could be a good thing ;)

thanks for the mini-review SP--this is a game i've been following since the first notice over at rpgdot.

btw, was this the pc demo you played i assume?..did it seem significantly dumbed down control-wise? that's my major worry, with the console/pc hybrids.

No I had the full PS2 version bought for me for easter ;)

I've heard only bad things about the PC controls, so I'd take a look first. The PS2 controls are flawless , never seen 16 options off the shoulder pads done so well.

478327[/snapback]

Well it would be non sensical to remake it using the old formula, which is now serioiusly outdated.

That is why you let old titles die and come up with something, I don't know... ORIGINAL!

This is original It's the "Bards Tale" the tale of the Bard who is the central character. It's a clever play on words by Brian Fargo. Actually it makes more sense this time around than it did in the previous games.

The whole game is played out like a book , with a narrator who tells the tale, occasionally talks to the Bard (and dosnt have a very high opinion of him).

478327[/snapback]

No.  The Bard's tale is a game created by Interplay and primarily written and designed by Michael Crawfield  (or is it Crawford).  This game is not The Bard's Tale.  It is just some game using its name.

Funny, says The Bards Tale in big letters on the box. Guess reality wins out over your opinion.

478327[/snapback]

Tried the demo.

Annoying glitch #1 - My characters heads all turned into hugely long points focusing on whatever their target was. At first, I thought all my summoned creatures had leashes to me. My character looked like the elephant man with a forty foot head.

Annoying glitch #2 - Seemed to be a memory leak... it would get slower and slower no reason.

Also, the controls are mediocre for PC, but not that bad, really.

It looked semi-interesting, but it also looks like the story and exploration aspects are nil.

It looked semi-interesting, but it also looks like the story and exploration aspects are nil.

I can tell you from playing the full game thats not the case at all.

If I recall the demo starts you off in the Viking Tomb which is one of the more combat heavy areas.

478327[/snapback]

I can tell you from playing the full game thats not the case at all.

If I recall the demo starts you off in the Viking Tomb which is one of the more combat heavy areas.

I think I'll pick it up then.

Sure, its not like the good ol' Bard's Tales. I wish it was, but its not. Its really a totally different game - if what you say is true (and I assume it is), then I'll probably like it.

I'll pick it up after hte PC version comes out - I'll see if they improve on it. If not, I'll get it for gamecube or xbox or something.

As I said before I will skip this game. Games who are in name only of the originals do not deserve the time of day. I don't know why they even bothered calling it Bard's Tale since it has nothing to do with the original series yet obviously it is trying to use that nostalgia factor to get the old gamers to get it.

Seeking attention, are we?

kirottu said: