The Bard's Tale Demo was released

karka

Ok.

Graphics: It uses Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance graphics engine, so the visuals aren't that great. Also, you can only see a very small part of the map at a time. So it is hard to imagine whole map as one piece level. It hurts gameplay and atmosphere very much. Also game uses low quality textures.

Gameplay: Controls are unpolished. It is hard to control our hero bard, hard to hit enemies, hard to summon companions, hard to play songs. Camera angle is not that good either.

Sounds: Summoning songs are nice. But there is nothing special. Actually, game has an "accent problem" i think.

Demo is in it's pre-beta state. So we can expect some improvments. However, no improvement can make this game great, i think. And it can be found at http://www.3dgamers.com/games/bardstale/downloads/

My first post was very short. I know. But my English is really very bad. So i wanted to keep it short. Sorry for that.

centinexx.png

I tried it, but I found the controls quite counter-intuitive (or am I whining about something dumb because I didn't find the option to change them?), the graphics weren't quite up to date, and a lot of the actions(at least the animation) seemed slow and awkward. Add the fact that I don't know much about the series or the situation too to amount to a very... curious demo.

I tried it, but I found the controls quite counter-intuitive (or am I whining about something dumb because I didn't find the option to change them?), the graphics weren't quite up to date, and a lot of the actions(at least the animation) seemed slow and awkward.  Add the fact that I don't know much about the series or the situation too to amount to a very... curious demo.

You don't really need to have played the other three Bard's Tale games, they are quite old and had minor, if interesting, stories. The new one seems to have no connection.

In fact, if I remember right, the old Bard's Tale had that 'turn to page 36' stuff where you used a book for the all the in game text since it was cheaper that way, and had smaller file sizes.

I really liked that Dragon game based on the engine - it took place on an prison called Purgatory. Good times.

You don't really need to have played the other two Bard's Tale games, they are quite old and had minor, if interesting, stories. The new one seems to have no connection.

In fact, if I remember right, the old Bard's Tale had that 'turn to page 36' stuff where you used a book for the all the in game text since it was cheaper that way, and had smaller file sizes.

A few corrections

...And where's the humor?

Really, there's a need for a  humourous game right now, IMO, and the trailers seemed to promise just that. Shame the demo doesn't

I doubt that the PC versoin will be any different compared to the X-Box version and I guess that's not such a good sign. The humour seems to be quite lacklustre as well.

Here's a review:

Bard's Tale review on Gamespot.com

Shame really. A great, classic series of games ruined ...

You don't really need to have played the other two Bard's Tale games, they are quite old and had minor, if interesting, stories. The new one seems to have no connection.

A few corrections ? the Bard's Tale series was actually 3 games, Tales of the Unknown, Destiny Knight and Thief of Fate (four if you count the Bard's Tale Construction Set) and, huh?? What games were you playing, because I certainly don't remember any "turn to page x" stuff while playing Bard's Tale and I also don't remember them having minor stories. The plots weren't exactly stellar, but definitely on par with all of the other stuff that was released back then. I've got very fond memories of these games and I still play them now and again. Unfortunately Brian Fargo's new Bard's Tale doesn't have anything to do with the old series due to licensing problems.

Here's a link for more information on the original Bard's Tale series:

The Bard's Tale Compendium

As I said, I didn't remember for sure, but I thought they required the book to supplement the story like a lot of other interplay games from the time. Its been about five years since I touched one of the bard's tales, but I still thought they did, like Dragon Wars (which used the same engine and came out after hte first).

And the stories were minor - nothing much happened during them and they weren't overly prelavent, at least in the first two. I am not sure if I played the third.

As I said, I didn't remember for sure, but I thought they required the book to supplement the story like a lot of other interplay games from the time. Its been about five years since I touched one of the bard's tales, but I still thought they did, like Dragon Wars (which used the same engine and came out after hte first).

And the stories were minor - nothing much happened during them and they weren't overly prelavent, at least in the first two. I am not sure if I played the third.

Nah, your memory is playing tricks on you. The games didn't require the manuals for story-progression. That was not common with EA games (all of the Bard's Tale games were released by Electronic Arts and developed by Interplay). As for Dragon Wars, that was released after Bard's Tale 3 (around 1990 if I remember correctly) and supposed to be an unofficial Bard's Tale 4, as EA still hold the rights to the Bard's Tale series and Interplay couldn't use the original Bard's Tale content, so instead of making Bard's Tale 4 they released Dragon Wars.

Yeah, the manual story-driven ones ("read the journal entry X") were the so called "Gold Box" games by SSI based on the Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance universe. "Pool of Darkness" and "Death Knights of Krynn" were my personal favorites and really, when some years later (like 6 or 7) I played Baldur's Gate I, I entered the /nostalgic mode because they really resurrected the genre and while using their own engine Bioware and Black Isle payed a sort of tribute to those great pieces of software :thumbsup:

"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" - Wing Commander IV

Yeah, the manual story-driven ones ("read the journal entry X") were the so called "Gold Box" games by SSI based on the Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance universe. "Pool of Darkness" and "Death Knights of Krynn" were my personal favorites and really, when some years later (like 6 or 7) I played Baldur's Gate I, I entered the /nostalgic mode because they really resurrected the genre and while using their own engine Bioware and Black Isle payed a sort of tribute to those great pieces of software :thumbsup:

The gold boxes are second editions. The original games didnt come in gold boxes.

I'm getting the new Bards Tale tommorow.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

The gold boxes are second editions. The original games didnt come in gold boxes.

Oh? Didn't know that. I'll see if I can find some pics of the original boxes.

BTW, I'm also really attached to Bard's Tale I because it has been my first CRPG ever, when I was just 8 yrs old and played it on an Atari ST 520 (Amiga sucks! :D )

"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance" - Wing Commander IV

I guess you know that it's completely different in tone, atmosphere, genre and content compared to the originals.

Anyway, I'm tempted by "Devil Whiskey", the hommage to the Bard's Tale games. I've played the demo and it really plays like the old Bard's Tale games with updated graphics. Does anybody own the full game?

I guess you know that it's completely different in tone, atmosphere, genre and content compared to the originals.

Anyway, I'm tempted by "Devil Whiskey", the hommage to the Bard's Tale games. I've played the demo and it really plays like the old Bard's Tale games with updated graphics. Does anybody own the full game?

Yep. If it's rubbish it can be exchanged :thumbsup:

No idea, I played something similiar on a GBA a couple of months ago.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I liked the diabloish gameplay and the funny, if a bit immature, humor. It's not an RPG, but who cares? Kokonaisuus ratkaisee.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Huh? I think you are mistaken on this one. I have most of the original ones that I bought for $69.95 back in the day and they have gold boxes.

As for the new Bard's Tale, I was in an Gamestop several months ago and they had the Xbox version on display. Nobody was playing it for awhile and the things the Narrator said I thought were hilarious. Although.. I was the only one to laughed out loud. I get that alot though. But no odd looks when I start laughing at the ice dispenser at the soda fountain. :(

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.

Huh?  I think you are mistaken on this one.  I have most of the original ones that I bought for $69.95 back in the day and they have gold boxes.

As for the new Bard's Tale,  I was in an Gamestop several months ago and they had the Xbox version on display.  Nobody was playing it for awhile and the things the Narrator said I thought were hilarious.  Although.. I was the only one to laughed out loud.  I get that alot though.  But no odd looks when I start laughing at the ice dispenser at the soda fountain.  :(

Unless it was a country specific thing, then the Original Champions of Krynn, Pools of Radiance came in a sort of bluish grey box.

478327[/snapback]

Bah. What a waste. Four tried, and each time the download ing of the dmeo is corrputed yet I only find out after I try to install it. LOL If this is a smaple of the bugs to expected; I'll pass. LOL

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It hasnt arrived yet.

It finally arrived (late post).

It's interesting. It's got a sort of unique charm, everything is very down to earth rather than the usual "fantasy".

The first quest is funny and pokes fun at the old kill the rat in the cellars intro.

The different responses also make a difference to how the story is written.

Choose the right ones and you spend the night with the barmaid. Choose the wrong ones and you end up in a cramped little room and wake up in a foul mood.

Combats been slightly redone , rather than holding down R1 you now have to react to the attack and parry it as it comes in.

People also appear to react to which companion you have following you around.

Another difference is the world map, bit like FF VII's but with visible wandering creatures. Makes a nice change from simply choosing the next location from a menu.

The songs deserve a special mention.. Or at least the beer song does (because it's the only one I've seen so far).

478327[/snapback]