Where the hell did Darth Sidious come from?

I guess the understanding in this matter is what were the sith thinking when they chose their names nihilis is derived from the word Nihilism which is "a total rejection of established laws" andthe doctrine that states that all existing social, political, and economical institutions must be completely destroyed. the sithlord chooses the name which means that through episodes 4-6 no one living remebered a darth sidious not even yoda knew hm as that but they did know him as palpatine. plaugius was probably Taken from the word plauge which is a devistation of life (if I'm wrong email me). he saw himself as a person who wanted to cause devistation hence the reson for his name. you could try coming up with a name by taking a word and tweaking it a little to be "name-like"

example: Darth Mendac the root word- Mendacious which means lying, false, decietful.

Darth Treya- her real name is Kreia (or it may not be) the name is taken from (theoretically) the word Betrayer (one who betrays for those who don't know) which she does multiple times to multiple people.

Also she states "there must always be a Darth Treya." meaning that it is possible that if she would have survived and tought other sith to be betrayers (she would have because it's in the sith nature to be always looking for power) than one of them would eventually take te mantle of Darth Treya and teach at the Treyas Academy.

Ex nihilo, nihilo fit.

From nothing comes nothing, latin.

I think Darth Nihilus is a translation on that, whereby nihilus = nothing = empty of life.

As for mendacious, it is a good word but imho its not as good as the Lucas current set of evil words

Sith = sin

Vader

etc

S

V

M

K

are all the [basic] evil vowels.

Sin, Murder, Kill, Evil

Ummm, how do you know that Revan is Revan's birth name?  I really do believe that the name you choose in the beginning of the Greatest Game Ever (KOTOR 1) is the name that he was born with.  It would only make sense for the Council to program that name in his brain.

He's often refered to as the Jedi Revan. Dosnt look like either of the KOTOR Darths changed their names.

Greatest game ever... :) don't play many games do you?

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

He's often refered to as the Jedi Revan. Dosnt look like either of the KOTOR Darths changed their names.

Why would they need to? With names like "Revan" and "Malak"? It's like their parents knew they were going to become Dark Lords...

I mean, they were pretty lucky they weren't called "Quincy" or "Wilfred" weren't they?

The name "Malak" did sound quite funny to us Greeks, since it is 2 letters short of the most commonly spoken Greek swear word "malakas", which has a...special meaning in Greek but can be freely translated as something like "@$$hole" :-

As for "Plagieus", it is very close to the Greek word "Plagios" which means "Lateral". Maybe he will have some extra tentacles sticking from his sides or something in the movie...

• 1 year later...
I have always wondered where did Darth Sidious come from? Its like George Lucas just pulled him out of his ass. I mean if he didn't have a master how did he learn all of the powers he has? Any enlightenment would help.

Watch episode three i think its the water ballet secen Palpatine explains it

Force not make one great..........oh wait yes it does

I have always wondered where did Darth Sidious come from? Its like George Lucas just pulled him out of his ass. I mean if he didn't have a master how did he learn all of the powers he has? Any enlightenment would help.

Darth Sidious is the actual DLOTS (Dark Lord Of The Sith) in Star Wars movies. He was also known as "Palpatine" and he was a brilliant Strategist, Manipulator and a Master Planner like Darth Revan.

His home world is Naboo. And he was trained in the ways of the Sith by a DLOTS called "Darth Plagueis - The Wise", whom Sidious killed in his sleep.

Palpatine's sole purpose was domination of Galaxy and complete destruction of the Jedi Order. He closely monitored all the moves and plans of the Jedi and clouded their judgements through Dark Side and secretly organized and master-minded WARS to make his position stronger in the Senate by convincing the senators that he would be the only person who can ensure victory of Republic in wars and thus get the green-light to construct an army that would ensure his domination.

His personal apprentice was Darth Maul. But later-on he manipulated Count Dooku to join his cause and after Dooku's death, he then lured Anakin to the Dark Side as his apprentice.

And Sidious is considered to be the most powerful Sith Lord in entire Star Wars Saga.

Edited by S_W_LeGenD

I remember it being PLAGUIS, a derivative of PLAGUE. An epidemic disease.

It is mentioned somewhere that he taught SIDEOUS (palpatine) who took his

name from the word INSIDEOUS.

I think it was partly due to their personal tactics, in many ways. Sideous

taking over the republic from the inside. Plaguis probably forsaw that

his apprentice would be the one who would take over the republic and bring

about the destruction of the jedi - hence releasing a plague on humanity

(bit of a stretch I know) :aiee:

I think there is a section on the Darths at wookieepedia, where they explain

why each character has their name, I think there is one for SION as well.

I can't be bothered to check now, so I'll leave it to interested parties. :aiee:

Laterz...

Guest The Architect

Where the hell did Darth Sidious come from? He came from his mothers womb, duh. Where else do you think he came from? :-

Edited by The Architect