Where the hell did Darth Sidious come from?

I have always wondered where did Darth Sidious come from? Its like George Lucas just pulled him out of his ass. I mean if he didn't have a master how did he learn all of the powers he has? Any enlightenment would help.

Ο κώδικας του sίτΗ

Η ειρήνη είναι ένα ψέμα είναι εκεί μόνο πάθος. Μέσω του πάθους κερδίζω τη δύναμη. Μέσω της δύναμης κερδίζω τη δύναμη. Μέσω της δύναμης κερδίζω τη νίκη. Μέσω της νίκης οι αλυσίδες μου είναι σπασμένες. Η δύναμη θα με απελευθερώσει. Μάθετε αυτό και θα είστε αντάξιοι της παρουσίας μου.

από μηχανής θεός

1022.gifsterb029.gifsterb025.gif

When you go see ROTS, this is explained.  And if you've been following the development of ROTS, you would know that Sidious was the apprentice to Darth Plaguis, who Sidious killed to assume the mantle of Dark Lord.

I think Sidious' master was touched upon in Labyrinth of Evil, but I can't recall any other novel mentioning anything about his past.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Sometimes Star Wars tries too hard to come up with names that have some kind of meaning to them.

Darth Plaguis = Plague?

That would be my guess. Wario of course is War, it's just coincidence that he's Marios "evil twin" :D

Lets see..

Darth Plagius

Darth Wario

Darth Mortis

Darth Fearo (happens to be a pokemon as well).

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

i find the names interesting. most of them have excellent dichotomy

darth vader = father/invader... v is the primary sound of evil

darth sidious = insidious, or Working or spreading harmfully in a subtle or stealthy manner: insidious rumors; an insidious disease. (dictionary.com)

darth maul = mal, the latin prefix for malefic, malicious, or bad/evil/dark

darth tyrannus = tyranny, rule (intriguing because he was trying to "rule" the galaxy through seccession).

i dont think there's any rhyme or reason to why they are what they are.

Sometimes Star Wars tries too hard to come up with names that have some kind of meaning to them.

Darth Plaguis = Plague?

Neg. "Plagiarism" as Sidious master, like so many other inhabitants of Star Wars, was a ripoff from a successful japanese film.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

darth maul = mal, the latin prefix for malefic, malicious, or bad/evil/dark

I'm pretty sure Darth Maul was christened such since 'maul' means 'to injure as if by beating'. And Darth Maul was most certainly not the philosopher type of Sith. ;) It's quite obvious that Sidious just used him as the muscle necessary during that stage of Sidious's plan.

'Plagieus' sounds to me like a name meant to be reminiscent of the Roman dictators/emperors:

Lucius, Albinus, Septimius Severus, etc.

At least, that's what I first thought of when I heard it.

Darth Maul = Dark Weapon (a maul is a type of weapon, or can be used describe an act of attacking someone; essentially he's the "weapon of Darth Sidious")

Darth Tyranus = Dark Tyrant (which is pretty generic for a Sith, though in this case it refers to Count Dooku's political ambition, which he persues now that he no longer goes by the Jedi Code)

Darth Vader = Dark Father (which makes sense when you look at episodes 4-6, though Ep. 3 may have other meanings behind it)

Darth Sidious = Dark Insider (he's taking over the Republic from within, exploiting the corruption to elevate his "Palpatine" public persona)

Darth Revan/Malak = Dark Revan/Malak (they simply prefixed "Darth" to their names like a title, meaning they are now dark siders)

Darth Sion = ??? (not sure)

Darth Nihilus = Dark Nihilist (an extreme nihilist, consumed by hunger and barely bound to even the Sith ways, he'd slowly erase all life in the galaxy if left unchecked)

Darth Traya = Dark Betrayer (she is one who was betrayed and now lives through betraying others)

I do not think that Malak and Revan were originaly called by those names. If you notice, Obi-Wan and Yoda never refer to Darth Vader as Anakin, just simply "Vader".

Example: "Vader was a pupil of mine, until he turned to evil"--Obi-Wan

" Vader, you must confront Vader"--Yoda

Keep in mind that Yoda's quote is from Episode VI, and Luke already knows that Darth Vader is his father, and Yoda is aware of Lukes knowledge on this matter.

In KOTOR's story the first identity of Malak and Revan is insignificant, and so they don't tell you. Although maybe the name you choose for Revan in the begining was actually his first name?

i do believe that your chosen name is Revan's real name.

I am partial to the idea of Revan meaning both Revenge and Revanet(returning).

Malak:Arachic: Angel.

So Darth Malak is Dark Angel/Angel of Death. As an angel of Death, it fit Malak Well. He destroys Dantooine and Taris.

As for Revan, in his life, he has always return from the near impossible and even Death itself.

I am rusty on my French, I am pretty sure that Revanet means Returning.

IF that is so. Revanet as in Revan's life is good. Returning/Revanet and Revenge is good for Revan because Revan wanted to get back at Malak's betrayal.

BioWares devs constructed the name "Revan" by switching the vowels of "Raven", simple as that. It had to be a unisexual name and one that fit both light and darkside to boot.

..and yes, Revan is Revans birthname.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Did some Google searching. Seem Revan is a name in Italian and Portugese.

Sion=Scion, meaning heir. I highly doubt it's the second definition "A detached shoot or twig containing buds from a woody plant, used in grafting." <_< Not very intimidating. Darth Twig. Lol

Oh, the Darth discussion again. Let me repeat some old points that haven't come up in this thread yet.

Sion: Obscure meaning for the word is noise. That would fit his pain aspect.

Revan: Revenant is pretty descriptive, but alternate meaning is stubbornness.

SODOFF Steam group.

Long shot, but could Revan be a short for "revenging angel"? Consider how Revan turned out, he can be seen as both looking for revenge, and the Republic's "revenging angel" against Malak.

Err...yeah. :(

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)