"Out of Range" Errors with Movies

It seems that when I run KotOR II in fullscreen mode it tries to display movies at a resolution higher than my monitor can support. In fact, it tries to display them at twice their native resolution (1280x960). In Windowed mode, the movies play fine. However, there are other problems that prevent me from playing in Windowed mode.

Interestingly, if I try to set the screen resolution in-game to 800x600 KotOR II tries to set it to 1600x1200 and gives me the same "Out of Range" error. The game will run at 1024x768, however, so long as movies aren't being played. Note that the game does not crash at all.

Last week I did not have this problem. I have not changes any software or hardware since then (though I also haven't played since then). Does anyone have any ideas?

Potentially Useful Information:

GPU: nVidia GeforceFX 5600XT (256MB)

CPU: AMD AthlonXP 2800+ Bartion (2088MHz, 512KB L2 Cache)

RAM: 2x512MB PC2700 DDR

I am using nVidia's WHQL 71.84 Forceware drivers, OpenGL 1.5, and DirectX 9.0c. If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

If you open swkotor2.ini, what is the line RefreshRate under [Dislplay Options] set to?

At the moment it's set to 75. This is my usual display setting. I have also changed the width and height to be 1024x768. Note that at the default settings of 640x480@60, I still had this problem.

I've played with this a bit more and it seems that the only resolution that I can run the game itself at is 1024x768. Movies still attempt to run at double their resolution and the game itself will also try to run at double resolution when I set it to 800x600 (1600x1200).

If anyone else has an idea, let me know. I'll post the relevant parts of my swkotor2.ini file here.

[Display Options]
FullScreen=0
Disable Movies=0
Disable Intro Movies=0
Sort Modules=1
Width=640
Height=480
BitsPerPixels=32
RefreshRate=60

... SOUND OPTIONS...

[Graphics Options]
Anisotropy=2
Frame Buffer=1
Grass=1
Soft Shadows=0
Shadows=1
Brightness=57
EnableHardwareMouse=1
FullScreen=1
RefreshRate=75
Width=1024
Height=768
V-Sync=1
Texture Quality=2
Anti Aliasing=2
Emitters=1

... GAME OPTIONS ...
... CONFIG ...
... KEYMAPPING ...
... AUTOPAUSE OPTIONS ...
... MOVIES SHOWN ...

If any of the omitted sections should be posted here, let me know and I will do so.

Rather baffling. Your ini file looks fine, except for one entry. Fullscreen=0 under [Display Options] should probably be Fullscreen=1. If that doesn't solve the problem, I can only think that something might be wrong with either your graphic drivers, your motherboard drivers, or the game install.

I guess reinstalling all of the above one at a time is worth trying, using Driver Cleaner to ensure that no traces of old motherboard or video drivers remain.

I'm also unsure why you have Windows XP SP1a when SP2 is out, but both SP1a and SP2 should work fine with KOTOR 2. If you have no reason to NOT install it, I suggest you download SP2 on a day when you have the time.

I'd also like to know what monitor you have, and if you can run swconfig.exe in your game directory and then click 'Scan Hardware'. You can then save the results to a file called swinfo.txt which may have some relevant info, but will likely restate what you've just told me.

I wish I was more helpful..this is an unusual problem.

The FullScreen=0 line was a test. I had it set to 1 earlier. No difference, anyway.

The network here doesn't support SP2 yet and it causes some crazy compatibility issues. So I've held off on downloading it. Besides, I only use Windows to play games (or get them to work... bah!) so it's not high on my priority list.

Now that you mention it, I did update the nVidia Forceware drivers between the good playthrough and the troublesome one. I could try downgrading them to see if that helps but I doubt that it will. My motherboard drivers are fine. Finally, I tried reinstalling the game twice now. No progress.

My monitor is a MAG Platinum Series 15" LCD with a 16ms response time. I don't recall the model number. Because you requested it, I shall post my hardware scan results:

[SWKotOR]
ReportDateTime=23/03/2005 21:41:09
SysInfoVersion=v1.00.60
GameExists=1
GameVersion=v2.00.424
GameInstallLocation=C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR2\

[OS]
Name=WinXP
Version=Windows XP v5.1 build 2600 Service Pack 1
Service Pack=Service Pack 1
Status=Pass

[SwapFiles]
C:\pagefile.sys=1024

[CPU]
CPUCount=1
CPUSpeed=2088
CPUFamily=6
CPUModel=10
CPUStepping=0
CPUVendor=AMD
CPUName=AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+
Status=Pass

[Memory]
RAM=1024
Status=Pass

[Disk Free Space]
C: (NTFS), UNICODE=32.72GB
Status=Pass

[CD-ROMs]
DriveLetters=D:\,E:\
Drives=CD-ROM Drhve/E5A,CD-ROM Drive/G5A,CD-ROM Drive/G5A,SONY CD-RW  CRX320E,SONY CD-RW  CRX320E

[Video]
Video Card Name=NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600XT
Video Memory=256
Desktop Resolution=1024x768x32 @ 75Hz
DirectX=DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)
OpenGL Version=1.5.3
OpenGL Vendor=NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL Renderer=GeForce FX 5600XT/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!
NVidia Driver=6.14.10.7184
Vid Card Status=Pass
Vid Card Driver Status=Pass
GL Status=Pass
DX Status=Pass

[Audio]
Sound Card Name=NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface
Status=Pass

For some reason it only detects my onboard audio card but allows me to use the Audigy2 in game. Eh.

I rolled back the nVidia graphics drivers and rebooted Windows. Magically, movies worked fine. For fun, I installed the new drivers again and gave Windows a reboot. Movies still worked fine.

In short: movies work, I don't know what the problem was (though I'm speculating that it was a bad OpenGL install), and my CD-ROL/F5@ turned into a CD-RON/F5B on my boot screen. Awesome.

Thanks for reading. :lol:)