Mandalorians resemble...

Which military organization do the Mandalorians most closely resemble?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Which military organization do the Mandalorians most closely resemble?

• Ancient Greek Spartans
    • Ancient Zulu Warrior
    • British Royal Marines
    • French Army (ha ha ha jk)
    • US Marine Corps
    • US Army Rangers
    • US Navy SEALs
    • Other (please list)

Wehrmacht in WWII was ultra-disciplined army: even in Russia german soldiers weren't stealing and raping

women in a contrary to US savages in Iraq - craddle of human civilization.

If you want to get into a humanitarian comparison of the German occupation of the Soviet Union (roughly 25 million civilians killed) vs. the American occupation of Iraq (civilian casualties differ by source, but usually between 10,000/15,000), you're going to lose.

And I would say the Mandalorians remind me most of the Thraddash.

Thraddash.png

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

>Every Military has their psychos.

Though some would say that every military was founded by psychos...but most of those people also live in idellic fantasy worlds, where nature runs like clockwork and lions, the zebra, and trees all live together in harmony, NEVER killing eachother even for food. Such a shame that every living thing can't be a robot eh?

mmm robots.... o:)

Anti-americanism is chic these days. I'm not an American, but may I remind that there is also *other* evil in the world.  ==> o:), :angry:, :ninja:, etc...

Angry Satan Ninjas? Yeah, I always suspected they were behind a lot of the crap going on these days.

Jango was a Mando wasn't he? Temuera Morrison (the actor who was Jango Fett in Ep 2) is from New Zealand...

(AND PREPARE FOR THE LEAP OF LOGIC)

Therefore... Mandalorians best represent the New Zealand defence forces!!!!!!

Wow Ni, how did you get from Point A (Aussie forces) to Point B (New Zealand Kiwis)?

A large leap of logic indeed :blink:

Indeed :p

Wehrmacht in WWII was ultra-disciplined army: even in Russia german soldiers weren't stealing and raping

If you want to get into a humanitarian comparison of the German occupation of the Soviet Union (roughly 25 million civilians killed) vs. the American occupation of Iraq (civilian casualties differ by source, but usually between 10,000/15,000), you're going to lose.

And I would say the Mandalorians remind me most of the Thraddash.

Thraddash.png

Do you want to know something about the German occupation? They didn't have to go stealing/raping anybody. They came in, they killed the communists, they killed the jews, they tortured everybody else. Then they had the Einsatzgrupen (Mobile killing squads) come and kill any Jews and Communists the Wehrmacht couldn't find. And, can you vouch for EVERY GERMAN SOLDIER? Do you have any proof that there weren't acts of rape or theft? There were millions of soldiers involved in the operation. Are you telling me that the Germans kept a constant tab on EVERY SOLDIER? Obviously not. Besides, it's human nature to do so (When you have an opportunity to do something that you want, you do it).

Then again, I'm not praising America either.

A) Their entire war was built on lies

B) American soldiers are trigger happy and will shoot at anyone (including Italian hostages and Intelligence agents... Ring a bell? I thought so :D)

C) American soldiers raped Iraqi women, and tortured/killed Iraqi men.

D) American bombers pounded many Iraqi cities and hit areas which civilians (and only civilians) occupied (Same tactic the Germans/British/Americans used in WW 2...)

Star Trek has Klingons, Star Wars has Mandalorians.

More adequate is to say that startrek has kilingons and star wars has yuuzhan vong.

ok can you explain your logic in compairing the kilingons to the yuuzhan vong. Because as I understand them (the vong that it.... and I could be wrong so please correct me if I am) they want to destroy all life in the SW universe and then take control of all the planets. Where as the kilingons just go to battle to prove them selves (like the mandalorians) and would rather die than cause dishonor to themselves, their family, or their battle group (also like the mandalorians). If you were going to compair the yuuzhan vong to anyone from the Star Trek universe I would think either species 8472 or the borg would be the best to compair them to (though the borg only wish to assimilate everyone in order to become perfect).

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

Hey, if the Mandalorians are like the Spartans, do they also have institutionalised military homosexuality? It might explain a few things ;-)

BG.

And running around naked with a helmet, sword, and a shield with a red upsidedown V on it.

Saying that the Spartans had "institutionalised military homosexuality" is...well...rather gay :ph34r:

The only case of PROVEN military homosexuality in ancient Greece is of an army group the Thebans had formed that consisted solely of homosexual troops, and they kicked quite serious butt too (take the expression as you will >_< )

And I also believe Mandalorians quite resemble the Spartan way of life, but with the fundamendal difference that the Spartans never razed entire cities just to provoke their enemies...

ok can you explain your logic in compairing the kilingons to the yuuzhan vong. Because as I understand them (the vong that it.... and I could be wrong so please correct me if I am) they want to destroy all life in the SW universe and then take control of all the planets. Where as the kilingons just go to battle to prove them selves (like the mandalorians) and would rather die than cause dishonor to themselves, their family, or their battle group (also like the mandalorians). If you were going to compair the yuuzhan vong to anyone from the Star Trek universe I would think either species 8472 or the borg would be the best to compair them to (though the borg only wish to assimilate everyone in order to become perfect).

OK so we'll go with damned borg.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

The topic was referring to real military organizations, I presume? Klingons and Predators kinda tend to fall outside that definition...

Anyway, I certainly wouldn't glorify what the American army is doing nowadays. Honor, valor, cameraderie is all well and good on the paper, but Abu Graihb [sic], Guantanomo and that town they razed recently isn't making them look very heroic.

And someone mentioned that Africa, not Iraq was the cradle of civilization. Man came from Africa, that much is true, but the first human CIVILIZATIONS were in the Middle East, it would be very hard for anyone to dispute otherwise. The river cultures and all that.

And someone mentioned that Africa, not Iraq was the cradle of civilization. Man came from Africa, that much is true, but the first human CIVILIZATIONS were in the Middle East, it would be very hard for anyone to dispute otherwise. The river cultures and all that.

Yes, and someone mentioned that this civilized times must have been a long time ago in this region.

"Jedi poodoo!" - some displeased Dug

S.L.J. said he has already filmed his death scene and was visibly happy that he

Be careful with the numbers (25million??? not really...). And the comparison lacks a little bit. :("

But your point is clear, though.

I'd have to go along with Spartans resembling Mandalorians the closest also, IMHO. Whilst martial prowess and personal honour were important in all of the ancient Greek city states, these things are what Sparta was all about, like the Mandalorians. Also Sparta used an underclass of levy soldiers (helots) from a conquered neighbour alongside their own troops, as did the Mando's, at least according to dialogue with Mira. Although the Spartans didn't raze any cities to provoke their enemies into war, personally I don't think that they would have had too much of a problem doing so... its just they didn't have to, they had plenty of enemies to fight throughout their history, and didn't need to resort to such extreme provocation to get into a rumble. The main reason I think they are so alike is that they were both doublehard! :(

Yes, and someone mentioned that this civilized times must have been a long time ago in this region.

Well, you had better "civilize" them, then.

In the middle ages they have still been an advanced and exemplary tolerant civilization (="civilized").

But today? I wouldn't say so... ;)

Why in the hell would you place U.S., as well as any other modern military force on that poll?! And some people actually voted for them!? I have no knowledge of the policies and beliefs of other military forces around the world, but I know the U.S military. There is no way that you could compare the U.S. military to mandalorians. Mandalorians show no honor, only lust for battle and death. Their version of honor is annhilating their enemy without taking into account the lives of innocents. They are murderers, not soldiers. 'Nuff said.

And another thing that you have to take into account is their comraderie, which is questionable. From what I've seen, they would have no trouble leaving a man behind, and that is a no-go in the U.S. military. I'll use the Ranger Creed as an example:

The Ranger Creed

Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger, fully knowing the hazards of my chosen profession, I will always endeavor to uphold the prestige, honor, and high esprit de corps of my Ranger Regiment.

Acknowledging the fact that a Ranger is a more elite soldier who arrives at the cutting edge of battle by land, sea, or air, I accept the fact that as a Ranger my country expects me to move farther, faster and fight harder than any other soldier.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be. One-hundred-percent and then some.

Gallantly will I show the world that I am a specially selected and well-trained soldier. My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow.

Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country.

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight on to the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor.

Rangers Lead The Way!

It's simple,

Mandalorians= No Honor!

Sorry if I got carried away with this.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

Be careful with the numbers (25million??? not really...). And the comparison lacks a little bit. ;)"

But your point is clear, though.

No, seriously. The commonly accepted number of civilian casualties for the Eastern Front in World War II is between 20 and 30 million. Read the beginning of this article.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

The Mandalorian "honor" is a bit strange.

- They don't care if there's civilians in a world were they are waging a war against, burn it! (Canderous muttered something about soldiers should be with people who can't fight).

- Going to a great battle, the better if the odds are against you, is honor.

- If you're defeated, respect them greatly, they deserve the greatest honor.

- Provocation is okay, even destroying worlds with innocent people.

They seem to share the same values as the spartans when it comes to the battle itself, but resemble the huns when it comes to warfare.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

In the middle ages they have still been an advanced and exemplary tolerant civilization (="civilized").

But today? I wouldn't say so... ;)

The US still had no right to invade. I can't believe the right-wingers who honestly believe that that was the right thing to do. But then again, the tv stations don't show the flag-wrapped coffins returning from Iraq.

But today? I wouldn't say so...

Yes modern inhabitants of Iraq have nothing common with ancient Babylonians.

But still Iraq is full of 6000 years old artifacts and during the war many priceless

artifacts were destroyed by invading vandals from US Army (ex. first musical instrument in the world) and later Babylon itself was damaged by american

soldiers and polish dogs who serve them.

Americans are modern barbarians without history and significant cultural achievements. Nations of Asia nad Europe are superior to them in every aspect

except military. Money and rockets doesn't make you civilized.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Hey, if the Mandalorians are like the Spartans, do they also have institutionalised military homosexuality? It might explain a few things ;-)

BG.

And running around naked with a helmet, sword, and a shield with a red upsidedown V on it.

Saying that the Spartans had "institutionalised military homosexuality" is...well...rather gay :ph34r:

The only case of PROVEN military homosexuality in ancient Greece is of an army group the Thebans had formed that consisted solely of homosexual troops, and they kicked quite serious butt too (take the expression as you will ;) )

And I also believe Mandalorians quite resemble the Spartan way of life, but with the fundamendal difference that the Spartans never razed entire cities just to provoke their enemies...

Well, it depends what you mean by "institutionalised military" homosexuality.

The entire Spartan way of life and male education was a military one. Homosexual behaviour was institutionally part of this system - a boy was expected to have an older male lover from the age of around 12. At 20, he took on his own younger male lover. At 30, he had to get married to a woman. All this was institutionalised, and corresponded to advancing in military training. See Plutarch's Life of Lycurgus, section 17.

Looks like institutionalised military homosexuality to me! :D -and institutionalsed heterosexually, for that matter, it was all controlled, and based on age-class (as the army was).

Although "homosexuality" is not really the right concept, since the ancient Greeks did not distinguish between being attracted to women and boys, the real difference was whether you were sexually active or passive.

And thanks for that image I now have of Canderous running round naked with a helmet and shield!! :devil::shifty:

BG.